Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If Hillary Clinton had gotten just a few more votes in the right places, despite all the republican gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement, by now things would have improved so much in our country, there would be no talk of "no good choices". Except of course, for the usual disgruntled Republican agitators.

If she was so bad, how did she win almost 3 million more popular votes and be given an "85% chance" of winning, by so many reputable polls? In fact, there's never been a presidential candidate with so much of the right experience and capability for the job. Her purported unpopularity and imaginary crimes, have been nothing but the product of a smear-campaign by the opposition. The thick underlayer of racist and sexist attitudes by the Republicans, just couldn't abide with first, a black president and then one who is a woman.
Well, as we say, that is what makes horse races.

There were three things that she could have done that might have made me support her. She should have denounced the cheating that was going on to make her the name on the ticket. When the primary was declared over in June, she should have denounced that as being wrong since there were elections still to be conducted. She should not have declared people exercising their Constitutional rights as being criminals.

QUITE FRANKLY, all the other things that people hold against her had nothing to do with it. Why, I even stood up and defended her when it was said she should not be allowed to run while under investigation.

She sank her own ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 03:00 PM

26,506 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If Hillary Clinton had gotten just a few more votes in the right places, despite all the republican gerrymandering
Any honest discussion would admit that:

#1 Democrats technically started the gerrymandering in this country.

#2 Democrats need to gerrymander more than the Republicans do (although they both do it).

For a fact pick a typical state like Michigan.

Democrats win their cities/counties by much bigger margins than Republicans win their cities/counties.

Inner city Detroit, Flint, etc...the biggest cities in the state the Democrats will win with over 90% of the vote in many cases. Republicans tend to win their areas by margins of 60 to 40%.

A state that was basically 50-50 looked like a red map...inner cities deep blue, other cities blue...everywhere else including about 90% of the counties a light red...

So the Democrats must connect inner cities to suburbs and rural areas far more than vice versa.

Hillary should have appealed more to blue collar workers in these areas.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
The other Republicans didnt take Trump seriously and were bashing each other while Trump emerged relatively unscathed. The DNC wanted Trump to be the nominee because they saw him as easier to beat.

The DNC also worked to clear the field for Hillary. Bernie never had any expectation of winning - he ran to publicize his ideas, like Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul had before him, rather than to win. As things turned out, he became the only alternative to Hillary and wound up getting far more support than he ever dreamed.

Agree that Biden would have won.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:17 PM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Clinton had experience, but she was not very capable. She held jobs due to the connection to her husband. Really, that private server showed just how incompetent she really was.

I was not pleased with Trump, but voted for him. It was a protest vote since he was going to lose. I have been really pleased with his first two hundred days. He is trying to hold to his election promises. Really looking forward to the tax reform debate.

The tweets I can do without, he just needs to ignore the mass media outlets.
Lucy, you've got some 'splaining to do. (If you aren't familiar with the old "I love Lucy" show, you will probably think I'm bat shyte crazy).

I've never been good at separating evil from ignorance. So tell me about trumps healthcare promises.

I could blather on, but just read and reply to

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...lies.html?_r=0

Bye the way, I think you are one of the Americans that are too stupid to vote.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:24 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Clinton had experience, but she was not very capable. She held jobs due to the connection to her husband. Really, that private server showed just how incompetent she really was.

I was not pleased with Trump, but voted for him. It was a protest vote since he was going to lose. I have been really pleased with his first two hundred days. He is trying to hold to his election promises. Really looking forward to the tax reform debate.

The tweets I can do without, he just needs to ignore the mass media outlets.
How sad is this ?

On top of that you really believe that Trump will
be able and willing to actually debate tax reform?
Kind of the way he has been open to debate the health care law
he has planned for us all?

Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In a nation of 300 million people, you would think that we could have found somebody better than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to compete for the top job in the country.

There were a few competent Republicans but they didn't get a lot of support. I am thinking about people like Kasich and Rubio. On the Democratic side, Joe Biden was the answer but he didn't run. Bernie was too far left and Hillary was doomed from the start because of her corruption.

Do you think this election cycle was a fluke or do you think we are getting to a point where competent, qualified people don't even want the job anymore?
Well, on the democrats side, Hillary was the heir apparent, they bet the house on her, there really was no alternative for the DNC leadership. Bernie was thrown in to make a mock contest out of it, and I don't think they expected him to get the traction he did, but never any doubt that he was there as a fall guy. On the republican side, the money was with Bush, but he had the personality of a log and just didn't connect with party voters. Then internal factions backed their candidate and the whole party was watered down, and Trump stood out from the rest, as an outsider. But this election has been cast into the history books, good or bad. We should be far more concerned of what our future holds, I'm pretty sure the oligarchs are nervous that the people are showing signs of rebellion.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:29 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
There were some good to excellent candidates. But they lost in the primaries.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:30 PM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Well, on the democrats side, Hillary was the heir apparent, they bet the house on her, there really was no alternative for the DNC leadership. Bernie was thrown in to make a mock contest out of it, and I don't think they expected him to get the traction he did, but never any doubt that he was there as a fall guy. On the republican side, the money was with Bush, but he had the personality of a log and just didn't connect with party voters. Then internal factions backed their candidate and the whole party was watered down, and Trump stood out from the rest, as an outsider. But this election has been cast into the history books, good or bad. We should be far more concerned of what our future holds, I'm pretty sure the oligarchs are nervous that the people are showing signs of rebellion.
I'm pretty sure that the governments that think democracy is a failure found this election to be a big win.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
People are sick to death of "politics and politicians as usual." They are sick of slick looking and talking politicians (and media talking heads) who promise a different world to every audience, but have no substantive or new ideas or approaches ... and deliver nothing!

Trump may not look or act like the typical, stereotypical politician -- and many people can't deal with that. But, honestly, can America really survive another 4-8 years of politicians enriching themselves at the public trough, while selling-out the country. If Trump delivers on only half of his promises (and I believe he will do much better than that), this country will be much better off.

To heck with the haters. This country needs change from the top-down and we aren't going to get it without doing things differently! If Hollywood, the media and the far left don't like it, that's a good thing! It indicates that the change they fear and hate ... is actually happening!

Old 07-01-2017, 03:33 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
The Republicans had many great, qualified candidates for President in the last election cycle. The Republican, Independent, and Democrat voters rejected the martini-sipping, Old Guard, elitist politicians! Whether some believe it or not, Trump's MO and pugnacious demeanor are hugely popular with many of his voters.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-01-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies