Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:55 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

In a nation of 300 million people, you would think that we could have found somebody better than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to compete for the top job in the country.

There were a few competent Republicans but they didn't get a lot of support. I am thinking about people like Kasich and Rubio. On the Democratic side, Joe Biden was the answer but he didn't run. Bernie was too far left and Hillary was doomed from the start because of her corruption.

Do you think this election cycle was a fluke or do you think we are getting to a point where competent, qualified people don't even want the job anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
Probably because you have to be a millionaire to run for office, which greatly restricts your pool of candidates. If U.S elections were publicly financed, then anyone could run, as long as they had the popular appeal.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In a nation of 300 million people, you would think that we could have found somebody better than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to compete for the top job in the country.

There were a few competent Republicans but they didn't get a lot of support. I am thinking about people like Kasich and Rubio. On the Democratic side, Joe Biden was the answer but he didn't run. Bernie was too far left and Hillary was doomed from the start because of her corruption.

Do you think this election cycle was a fluke or do you think we are getting to a point where competent, qualified people don't even want the job anymore?
Well, that's what makes horse races.

Ie, Biden? BIDEN?

Basically, two things on the Democratic side. First of all, their active Group Think approach of shouting down anyone who disagreed with them silenced people from disagreeing........but it didn't change their minds. The catch was that with no opposition talking, they thought things were great and they could do what they wanted...........

.........which leads us to Clinton. They thought that it was time for a woman president and Clinton was that woman. They were going to have her regardless, they shoved her down our throats, etc, etc, etc..

Looking back on it, it is classical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink .

Trump I am not quite sure how we got him. Maybe it was just that he was more well known, more of a dynamic force than the others, appeared better when presented in mass media. Maybe.....that's how Charles Taylor won, by insuring everyone in the country had a radio so they knew about him.

Back then, there was a saying about the two, directed toward Clinton. "Not suitable for office? He defeated other good men in fair multiple elections. You had to cheat to beat one old communist!".

Which may be the point of why we have him now. Clinton was so bad and Trump was the continual best bet to keep her out of office.

It certainly was the reason why I voted for him.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Because the Dems put all their money on a flawed, unpopular, scandal-ridden candidate and none of the Republicans were saying anything that people wanted to hear, which is better than saying what people want to hear and then not doing it.

If anything proved that neither Dems or Republicans have any idea about what people are about and what they want, it was this last election. And if they couldn't get that right, what makes them think they can represent us?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:13 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:

I think that's it, those who would be good choices are too smart to want the job.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,389 times
I like Tamara Savanah's group think argument. Makes me wonder what the experts in group think, like Diane Vaughn, would opine.

How Trump beat the other 16 republicans - I'll never know. But show up at a political rally and give the kids rides on your personal luxury helicopter could not possibly have hurt...

Old 07-01-2017, 01:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
I didn't vote for either one and I do think that the choice we had this time was the worst ever. Having said that I do support the President that the American people elected. Unlike liberals I don't want the Captain of my ship running into an iceberg and sinking the ship.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:20 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,284 times
The average person defers to millionaires. They are flawed in thinking that a rich person will make them rich. This negates the opportunity for other qualified people.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:26 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Coincidentally, I was just looking up whatever happened to a website called "Vote for the worst" on YouTube. (a joke website that trolled the hit TV show American Idol that encouraged it's followers to "vote for the worst" singer)
I looked at the comments and this was the first thing I saw... from 4 years ago, lol!! Just thought it was funny.

"Don't you ever feel like just going to the booth and voting for the worst candidate in the presidential elections? Like every time we have two awful candidates you just want to say **** it and vote for the worst guy."

Old 07-01-2017, 01:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:

There were some good choices on the GOP side, but didn't get the support from their party voters in the primaries. Maybe the Republican voters have lost faith in their own party, and went with an outsider, or maybe they admire Trump's wealth. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies