Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That is the problem in a nutshell. They are unwilling to do what is necessary to advance. I call that, "laziness," if not "stupidity."
Unwilling or unable? See it is easy to just look at person and say because they are not in a certain position in life that they are lazy are not trying. You do not know why they are in that position. Maybe they are lazy or not trying but maybe they are not. I would suggest walking in their shoes before you judge them if not for a good up bringing, being born with high intelligence, not having a serious injury this could have been you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Unwilling or unable? See it is easy to just look at person and say because they are not in a certain position in life that they are lazy are not trying. You do not know why they are in that position. Maybe they are lazy or not trying but maybe they are not. I would suggest walking in their shoes before you judge them if not for a good up bringing, being born with high intelligence, not having a serious injury this could have been you.
Unwilling. I used to deal with low wage workers all the time. Not a single one was because of their intelligence. Work ethics has nothing to do with intelligence.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In many areas, $350 won't even get you a walk-in closet, let alone an actual room.
I would leave your area. I did leave an area before when I was poor, about to be evicted, had a low paying job and a baby. I took my last paycheck and walked out of the lease - which was $700 a month and moved to my hometown to a 2bd apartment for $300 a month. I found a job in two weeks making $10 an hour which was enough that I did not qualify for foodstamps or any sort of assistance. The baby qualified for CHIP health insurance though, which I took.

The Great Lakes states are very cheap. So are many other states across the country. Wanting to live in a popular city means you have to pay a high price tag because of that popularity.

I make nearly $100k a year and I've been asked by my professional friends to move to DC and work at particular companies/government contractors. It would be a big increase in my salary but metro DC would make me poor due to the cost of living. I prefer to make what I make and live in my house in the hood I bought for $7k cash and that I don't have a mortgage on and be able to enjoy my life than stress about housing costs. I've always been this way. Stuff falls off your credit in 6 years. Six years is not that long of a time.

Quote:
Many of the posters here are unwilling IMO. They could better themselves and their financial position but choose not to do so or make excuses for why they live where they live and suffer.

Honestly I feel bad for them as I do believe they probably are depressed. When people are depressed, they cannot better their lives and due to growing up in poverty, I know for a fact that many people who struggle financially are depressed and need some mental healthcare.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The lack of basic human decency, morality and intelligence from some of the left-wingers in this thread is astonishing!

When nobody is willing to pay you even the minimum wage for your work, what would you call yourself? In the normal people's mind, you are a loser.
So why are we blaming people working these jobs and not businesses for creating such low paying crappy jobs? No lets praise businesses for providing jobs that can not even provide a living for someone and means taxpayer money have to help these workers.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
So why are we blaming people working these jobs and not businesses for creating such low paying crappy jobs? No lets praise businesses for providing jobs that can not even provide a living for someone and means taxpayer money have to help these workers.
Then join me in insuring the kiosks to come are gainfully employed.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Just three points:
At minimum wage your tax rate is not 10-15%. A tax credit is available so you actually get money back from what I pay in. You're welcome, it's only fair.
Minimum wage is for minimum skill. You are supposed to live with your parents until your training and skill rises above the level of a high school graduate.
At minimum wage why do you have a car? Be like 90% of the rest of the civilized and uncivilized world and walk to work. Take the bus. Buy a bike. Around Raleigh, get a scooter seems to work well.

I have read recently, on this very forum, that there is some huge number, like 6 million, unfilled jobs because workers with skills can't be found. These jobs may be in your neighborhood, too. Look into it.

Last edited by Crashj007; 07-06-2017 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: milder tone

Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
It is the employers' fault not creating better job???

What the $)&@(&(!!!!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I didn't read this.

Whenever you increase minimum wage, all you do is lower my once decent wage.

Math that.

Exactly right!

Seattle and their $15 hour minimum wage are now rethinking it because employers simply lowered the hours they could afford to pay the help. They say that these employees are actually making $125 mo. less now.

Op should math that as well

Quote:

What the $)&@(&(!!!!
How can anyone have a rational conversation with people who use that kind of logic? Their processors have air gaps it seems.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
What the $)&@(&(!!!!
Their fault, no. It's their right, but I think it's our right to recover at least some of the 153 billion a year we dish out every year in welfare, SNAP, medicaid and EITC to low wage employees. Let the business keep 10% of it's profit and pay us back for our contribution to their employees with the remainder.

The High Public Cost of Low Wages | Center for Labor Research and Education

Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 PM

143 posts, read 98,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Just three points:
At minimum wage your tax rate is not 10-15%. A tax credit is available so you actually get money back from what I pay in. You're welcome, it's only fair.
Minimum wage is for minimum skill. You are supposed to live with your parents until your training and skill rises above the level of a high school graduate.
At minimum wage why do you have a car? Be like 90% of the rest of the civilized and uncivilized world and walk to work. Take the bus. Buy a bike. Around Raleigh, get a scooter seems to work well.

I have read recently, on this very forum, that there is some huge number, like 6 million, unfilled jobs because workers with skills can't be found. These jobs may be in your neighborhood, too. Look into it.
Unfortunately, the gasoline-powered car is still the cheapest/most cost-effective way to get around the average American city in 2017 (at least until electric vehicles actually become affordable).... that's "just how it is", and we're talking about REALITY in this thread. Depending on the commute distance to the person's job, going "cheap" and taking the bus could be another 3-4 hours per day on top of the 50-60 hours/week a low-paid min wage worker would need to work to break even on their bills. And things like Uber/Lyft? $10-$15+ per ride? Ummmm..... yeah, a cheap used car off Craigslist (paid for in cash) still comes out way cheaper in terms of the monthly cost.

I guess it depends on the city too, in American cities with good transit systems like New York or Chicago you could probably get by without a car, but in a large sprawling city like Dallas you are probably better off with a car. If it's a smaller or medium sized city, a car is also usually needed. If the person in question has any kid(s), a working running car is also needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies