Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,583,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
again. we regulated something that wasn't an issue. why did that happen when for 15 years that was not an issue.

ISPs will force very large users to pay for that extra capacity they suck up.... like Netflix...etc.

they aren't going to do something evil to regular consumers and they aren't going to block websites that's just nonsense.
So... don't prohibit monopolistic big business from taking advantage of their clout to extract additional profit from consumers because we can trust that they won't? Sounds great.

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Here's the email addresses of those who voted to kill net neutrality. Let them know what you think of them.

https://www.fcc.gov/about/leadership...eadership_tabs

Don't waste your time. They are GOP appointees. After they voted to screw the average internet user, they flew off to trump's Mar a Lago, to be wined and dined by the Fat Cats from Verizon, Comcast, AT&T.

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
again. we regulated something that wasn't an issue. why did that happen when for 15 years that was not an issue.

ISPs will force very large users to pay for that extra capacity they suck up.... like Netflix...etc.

they aren't going to do something evil to regular consumers and they aren't going to block websites that's just nonsense.
It was an issue, though.

What is this revisionist history nonsense I am hearing here? You weren't paying attention if you didn't think this was a big deal pre-2015.

And who do you think is going to pay those costs? Companies out of the goodness of their hearts??? LOL...

Consumers will lose. You. Me. Everyone that uses the Internet.

Maybe you don't care that you will now (again) be taken for a ride. But I do care. And many (the VAST majority of people in the USA) do care.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Seems like this is like deciding how much RAM you need when you buy a computer. Someone who only reads newspapers or email will need a lot less than a gamer. I use less so I pay less.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,583,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Sent Pai a message saying he's a POS and a corporate sell out.
Can't really be a sellout if you were a transparent about being a stooge from the get-go.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:39 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Can't really be a sellout if you were a transparent about being a stooge from the get-go.
Touche'

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why couldn't they have done this before 2015?
They did do it!

Net Neutrality is not a new issue - it didn't spring out of nowhere in 2015.

2,940 posts, read 1,811,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Seems like this is like deciding how much RAM you need when you buy a computer. Someone who only reads newspapers or email will need a lot less than a gamer.
Not exactly. That's the speed of the RAM.

A similar thing you can equate the net neutrality to is: what content your computer is allowed to run for some subscription (say if Microsoft decides to charge you extra based on what applications you use). So Microsoft has a vested interest in making you run Office over other competitors thus will sell it to you for cheap versus others.

But they're still telling you what you can and cannot run over your own computer's hardware (in the form of price controls), of which you own.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:41 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And if AT&T blocks content you want, and another provider does not, you as the educated consumer should a) switch to the provider that meets your demands the best, and b) explain to AT&T why they just lost your revenue.

If a clothing store does not carry a brand you like, do you petition the government to force every store to carry every brand in equal numbers, or do you simply go to a store that you know has the brands you like?
Again, you don't always have an option. If I want high speed internet, I have one option, Comcast. That's it.

This isn't clothing. I can choose to purchase clothing wherever I want, but my address is my address. If no one else services my address, I don't have another option.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:41 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Don't waste your time. They are GOP appointees. After they voted to screw the average internet user, they flew off to trump's Mar a Lago, to be wined and dined by the Fat Cats from Verizon, Comcast, AT&T.

Umm.. 4 of the 5 members of the committee were appointed by.. Obama.

The only Trump appointee on the FCC Committee is Brendan Carr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies