Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I know, they are just doing what the adults are telling them to do .
And the Boy Scouts are a very Christian organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM

10,770 posts, read 4,349,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No wonder the Boy Scouts were an allegedly enthusiastic crowd. Minors are a captive audience when Grandpa is giving a lecture.
I don't think so.
Most kids don't like listening to their grandparents.
The fact is people of all ages love listening to Trump.
There has never been a more entertaining campaigner.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The adult Scouters I know are not so impressed by either him or his speech. My brother is an Eagle Scout, OA Vigil member and Silver Beaver recipient (highest honor given to an adult BSA volunteer), and he was WTFing about it on Facebook. Said #45 doesn't even come close to exemplifying the tenets of the BSA Oath, and he thought it was disgusting that the National Jamboree was being used as an opportunity to lobby for the health care bill.

This is what one of his friends had to say:
My family has been involved in scouting since for 30+ years and I absolutely agree. I understand that sitting presidents are always invited to speak at the jamboree, but he should have been given guidelines for an appropriate, non-political speech. If he was given such guidelines and violated them (which I doubt), he should have been interrupted as politely as possible.

I also just learned that in Wisconsin one of the councils gave an award to Paul Ryan and charged a substantial amount ($125/person minimum) to see him receive the award. I've listened to his speech there and while he did make some veiled political digs, at least they were veiled and most of the speech was non-political. I'm bothered by the idea of scouts paying so much to see a politician, but at least the speech was appropriate for the venue. President Trump's was nothing of the kind.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Did the Boy Scouts use Trump as an example of what not to do?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And the Boy Scouts are a very Christian organization.
BSA is an ecumenical organization. Membership is open to young people of all faiths.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This is what Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Eagle Scout and Silver Buffalo award recipient, said in his address to Jamboree...

Appropriate. Relevant. Dignified.

Quite a contrast, right?
Yes. That is what the BSA's mission has always been. That's why my brother is still involved even though he "aged out" of the youth program in 1985. And it was the BSA's National Camp School and their Adirondack Voyageurs that first brought him to the Adirondacks and helped him decide on his career path, which he has achieved as a Regional Forester, responsible for overseeing land usage for 75% of the 6 million acres of the NY State Adirondack Park. Part of that was being involved (ironically) in the sale of a former Scout Camp in the town of Milton, in Saratoga County, TO the town of Milton, so that land will remain undeveloped. That was the camp where he spent much of his youth.

That's why my dad is still an ASM 30 years after my other brother aged out in 1987. My dad has several Eagle mentor pins given to him over the years. He'll probably get two more on July 29 and August 13. At 77 years old he participated in his thirty-somethingth Deep Freeze/Klondike Derby last January, sleeping out in the cold just like he did at his very first one back in the late 1970's.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Boy Scouts are:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent

These traits are opposite and antithetical to all Trump stands for. Trump can truly be called the anti-scout.
Would have been nice had his speech mentioned some of these, no? Instead he went on about loyalty to himself.

It sounded like a campaign rally; not a speech to young boys at camp.

What a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The Eagles Scout at my home voted for Trump.
Many eagle scouts and scout leaders have spoken out about the inappropriateness of his campaign rally speech (all about himself as usual) at a gathering of young scouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I can guarantee you that Obama wasn't bragging about his electoral victory to this young man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicalot View Post
I don't think so.
Most kids don't like listening to their grandparents.
The fact is people of all ages love listening to Trump.
There has never been a more entertaining campaigner.
In the vein of Dumb and Dumber - there has never been a more entertaining administration.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 AM

10,770 posts, read 4,349,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Did the Boy Scouts use Trump as an example of what not to do?
That statement makes no sense.
Nobody has ever been as successful as Trump.
Billionaire with no political experience wins the White House.
And by June, President Trump had signed 37 bills into law, while Obama only had 24, Bush only 15.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:09 AM

993 posts, read 767,353 times
The whole point of the Boy Scout experience is to teach kids not to grow up to be like Donald Trump.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:15 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yeah--there is definitely a Hitler youth aspect to it, but luckily Trump is so inarticulate and incoherent, most of it probably went over their heads.

But the parents got it, and did not like it.

"Jude Nevans Cleaver wrote: "I am the proud mother of a former scout who was sheltered from that pack of lies speech at the Jamboree. Done with scouts after you felt the need to have my kid listen to a liar stroke his ego on our time..."

Trump boy scout Jamboree speech angers parents - BBC News
She didn't have to send her scout. Not everybody goes to the Jamboree. My dad's been to a few, and so has my brother who is still involved with BSA, but neither one went this year. Probably because they knew what they were letting themselves in for...

The former SM of the troop my dad is ASM for, OTOH, did go. But I don't have to read his FB posts about it, I unfollowed him back during the election for that very reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies