Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Lets not forget how this all got started, what was said and done by Kaepernick, their hero.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Socks that depict cops as pigs

T-Shirt featuring Malcom X and that bastion of civil rights and a champion of free speech Fidel Castro. The shirt said "Like Minds Think Alike".

This is who some on here, the NFL and their players are backing...

Yeah, it's not about hate for the country,the flag etc.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:11 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What you don't understand is that this is Trump's 'bending the knee'. He and his supporters have every right to protest just like the players. Tuning out, turning off, and vocalizing our displeasure are protest and we and our President also have that right!

Intolerance for dissent is not simply a one way street. The left is not great at tolerating dissent when the other side protest. Why would anybody play or even watch a one sided game?
Who really doesn't understand what?

I understand Kaepernick took a knee to draw attention to injustice he felt needed attention. I understand he succeeded and the attention also quickly turned from the issue of injustice to him. Some sympathized, empathized and supported Kap. Others were outraged he would do such a thing...

I understand people have their opinion(s) about this, and I understand both sides even though I don't agree with those who view what Kap did as a message that is anti-all America, anti-patriotic or anti-American. I understand we all have a right to our opinion, and we all have a right to peacefully lawfully protest like Kap did, anywhere, anytime.

I also understand that this controversy was not all that big a deal until Trump made it a big deal in classic Trump style. We can all share our opinion, of course, but when you are POTUS, your opinion and how you express it is far more consequential than the opinion of average American citizens. Nevertheless, I understand the POTUS has a right to express his/her opinion too. Of course!

What YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND is that Trump is speaking from a position of extreme power and influence. Trump calling upon the owners of teams to fire people like Kap is NOT simply expressing opinion. Trump is advocating a "crack down" on people like Kap who might take a knee to bring attention to an issue like police brutality. Trump, again in classic Trump style, is NOT simply expressing opinion when he taunts the owners into doing as he wishes by suggesting they are scared of the players. Trump is not acting like the POTUS we deserve when he calls people like Kap a "son of a *****," and then forever doubles down all the more people point out that he is acting like a fascist nitwit!

That's what YOU don't understand, just like Trump surely doesn't understand! This, for the POTUS, is not exchange of opinion. This is fascism, Trump style today, American style per his supporters...

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-30-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's been noted over and over and over in this thread. It's not your call.
You and others are really big on pointing out that an opinion is just opinion, nothing more and nothing less...

I suppose some people need to be reminded that "it's not up to them," or what is their opinion and not everyone else's, or who decides what, but really?

We're all adults here. Right? Anyone here have any confusion about what is their opinion and what it represents? Anyone need to be told "it's not your call?" If not, anyone need bother making that point?

Yet, I see this comment over and over again in so many forms, as if somehow the person being reminded suddenly thinks, "Oh! I thought I WAS the one responsible for deciding who gets to do what in this country! You mean I'm not? When did that happen!?!"

Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
With racism under the surface.
Almost always.
Quote:
Trump's tweets are all dog whistles to the worst traits of his base. His recent tweet lamenting that the owners, nearly all of them white, are afraid of the big bad athletes protesting, most of them black is just another example. He constantly uses words and phrases that have connections to bigoted stereotypes.
Exactly.

He's a disgusting throwback.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For years I argued that racism wasn't as bad as some were making it out to be. I was wrong.
Better late than never! That's essentially the story of the civil rights movement, for minorities, women, gays...

Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
trump was suggesting that the OWNERS fire the players. that isnt quashing free speech, that is protecting the teams public reputation(perhaps not the word i am looking for, but close enough).

the players can protest in any manner they choose, but they ARE NOT protected from the consequences of their protest. and note tht trump did not say fire them, he asked wouldnt it be nice IF those team owners said get them off the field your fired. trump also never said the team owners have to fire them, but rather said the team owners SHOULD fire them.
You are working awfully hard to defend the indefensible here, but no doubt there are those who will side with you anyway...

I find this effort to interpret what Trump says just as humorous, like we don't all know what the man has in mind, heart and soul when it comes to this particular issue. We don't have a clue when it comes to much else Trump is up to, like his better health care plan, but when it comes to matters like these, Trump is blowing his horn loud and clear as he can.

What Trump wants is serious negative consequences imposed on anyone who dissents or protests like Kaepernick did and/or those who follow suit. If that's not fascism then at a minimum it is intimidation, serious intimidation coming from a position of power and influence.

The players don't dig it. The owners don't dig it. The NFL doesn't dig it and most people who value our freedom in this country certainly don't dig it!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT POST!

And I stand by what I said. It's sick that billionaires are getting tax payer help to build stadiums, while our military is struggling. And don't get me started on the fat cats in Washington that will send our boys to fight wars just so them and their buddies can get rich off of the defense contracts....
Even here people are offended by anyone who leans on them to act one way or another regardless their obvious right to do as they choose...

Imagine if it were Trump telling C-D you should be kept from this forum for posting what you want to post, because Trump finds it offensive. Might you be any more concerned I wonder? Not about you or this forum but about this country with such a POTUS?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You must have never been to or seen Berkeley CA or UC Berkeley students/professors then...
I wonder if what you point out has anything to do with how UCB ranks in just about any university ranking, for decades now and still today...

Old 09-30-2017, 09:57 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Really? Don't we have bigger fish to fry than to worry about and give attention to some players who don't stand for the national anthem?

Is this what we want?

North Korea v USA LIVE: Trump

Old 09-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Really? Don't we have bigger fish to fry than to worry about and give attention to some players who don't stand for the national anthem?

Is this what we want?

North Korea v USA LIVE: Trump
Seems this is EXACTLY what Trump supporters want!

I have often asked myself why I engage in this forum for a bit pretty much every morning, often pointing out that no one changes their opinion about anything anyway, begging the nagging question, "why bother?"

This morning, however, I suddenly came to realize that despite the waste of time, the ability to address some of these comments helps me vent some of the frustration that comes from having to accept a POTUS like Trump, day after day, tweet after tweet.

Helps. Not much but a little...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies