Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Right. So for the vast majority of these NFL players who are "protesting," it is in fact about politics and not alleged police brutality.
No a sign of solidarity to the players Trump was calling out, all four of them the previous week.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't go to the courthouse and protest Publix selling eggs... don't matter if they are idiots and can't figure it out. they are protesting by displaying a disrespectful manner TOWARDS the anthem/flag is still disrespectful regardless of what they are doing it for... someone can burn the flag and protest the same thing, doesn't make what they did okay...
Kneeling has NEVER been a sign of disrespect. Just the opposite.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
If that's true, where were these protests when that fool Obama was President? Most of these killings happened under his watch. I guess the idiot NFL players and their supporters are too stupid to see that.
There were protests under Obama. People bitched about that also. I noted the corruption of the Baltimore police Dept in another thread and not a peep. You aren't interested in that are you?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
While the self serving and self congratulatory overpaid morons on the football field kneel, brave police officers from Las Vegas were seen running to the scene of the carnage, standing tall and directing people away from the scene while gunfire rained down everywhere around them. Brave officers also stormed the Mandalay and the room where this shooter was running mad, finally ending his life.
While NFL players were serving their communities by giving donations of their time and money the police:
Quote:
Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather
than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional
character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing,
and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns
and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s
police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including
racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact
African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these
disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust
between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement
legitimacy among African Americans in particular
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...ent_report.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
His name is Nate Boyer and he was SF.

My take is that Boyer was convinced that Kaepernick was going to make, and will continue to make, public statements regarding how he feels. Boyer wanted Kaepernick to have some kind of tone down gesture that would be an acceptable compromise between public statement and basic respect for the national symbol. Burning the flag during the national anthem would have ended Kaepernick's career in the NFL with no second chance like he is trying to get now via free agency. Kneeling was the best solution Boyer could offer.
Do you claim to speak for Ken Boyer?
I'll let him speak for himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Boyer
We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.
That doesn't sound anything like the bull**** you were saying earlier.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the flag contains my service as much as it contains police brutality. The flag contains EVERYTHING about a country. The good and the bad. So if you are going to use the flag as a prop for your political message, you are dragging my service into the message.

If your message is that the US an evil country, then by connection, I am an evil person because I was once a direct agent for the US. You may not intended to say that, but that is the risk you run by using a national symbol instead of using something else more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Good Post
In fact these brave Police officers, should get paid with those idiot FOOTBALL PLAYERS DO!
Feel free to donate you money
Or contact your local representatives
The average NFL players salary is about $2 million a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The fact that police officers and unarmed black men have nothing to do with the anthem or flag... seems like I do know better...
What did those damn colonists have against tea?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,146 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the flag contains my service as much as it contains police brutality. The flag contains EVERYTHING about a country. The good and the bad. So if you are going to use the flag as a prop for your political message, you are dragging my service into the message.

If your message is that the US an evil country, then by connection, I am an evil person because I was once a direct agent for the US. You may not intended to say that, but that is the risk you run by using a national symbol instead of using something else more specific.
The issue is police brutality. You didn't mention it at all. You're focused on being a vet. Not the issue that they are protesting. Why is this so hard to grasp? You're talking in this patriot-baby talk..."If your message is that the US an evil country"...the issue is police brutality you are a mile away trying to avoid that.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:44 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,146 times
Quote:
Right. So for the vast majority of these NFL players who are "protesting," it is in fact about politics and not alleged police brutality.
Trump challenged their RIGHT to peacefully protest. All the people you see kneeling now were trying to be above it even though they sided with Kaepernick. Kaepernick was the fuse...Trump poured gas on a struggling flame like an idiot.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
The issue is police brutality. You didn't mention it at all. You're focused on being a vet. Not the issue that they are protesting. Why is this so hard to grasp? You're talking in this patriot-baby talk..."If your message is that the US an evil country"...the issue is police brutality you are a mile away trying to avoid that.
Then they should focus on police not on America as a whole.

Why not start by refusing to play in Baltimore?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Then they should focus on police not on America as a whole.

Why not start by refusing to play in Baltimore?
On that note shouldn't POTUS focus on more urgent matters that a couple of NFL players taking a knee or sitting during the anthem. On the weekend Maria hits P.R. he tweets 24 times about the NFL and 5 about P.R.

Talk about a lack of focus.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
On that note shouldn't POTUS focus on more urgent matters that a couple of NFL players taking a knee or sitting during the anthem. On the weekend Maria hits P.R. he tweets 24 times about the NFL and 5 about P.R.

Talk about a lack of focus.
Absolutely.

And, if players want to address police abuses, do that. Stop saying the country is racist.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Absolutely.

And, if players want to address police abuses, do that. Stop saying the country is racist.

I think they are saying too much racism exists. You say it like an absolute as in the entire country is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies