Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I see the thought police are putting in some OT to make sure nobody is able to make choices for themselves that don't harm anyone.
It's only your hard-earned money and freedom at stake.

Quit moaning and comply!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You do this stuff for a living? Then you should probably go find a new job.

First, the couple in question won an award under the Oregon State law, not the Federal statute (because sexual orientation is not a protected class under the Federal regs), so the Civil Rights Act doesn't even apply.

Second, I don't know to which "subpart C" you are referring, but I would guess somewhere in Title VII based on your mention of employees. Title VII has no application to a business choosing whether or not to sell to classes of customers. Ergo, even if the Civil Rights Act applied (it doesn't), the subsection you cited does not.

Third, the particular subsection you cite (in situations in which it does apply, e.g, not here) is a fine or not posting the mandatory Title VII notice to employees. It does not regulate employer-employee conduct any more than a "Fire Exit" sign does - which incidentally is a good analogy because you will get fined for failing to post that too.

The award here was Civil in nature and in favor of individual Plaintiffs, not a State-imposed fine.
What Oregon case?

Brother, I don't know what you're talking about.

Subpart C is a $210 State-imposed fine for failing to post mandated information.

I've personally known owners busted for it.

You are dead wrong. Dead wrong.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,948 times
You can't make assumptions about any one business as to whether they have conspicuously posted the Law in their place of business. In this case, we don't even know whether it was done or not. So...there's that.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What Oregon case?

Brother, I don't know what you're talking about.

Subpart C is a $210 State-imposed fine for failing to post mandated information.

I've personally known owners busted for it.

You are dead wrong. Dead wrong.
Two points. First, your response failed to substantively address any of my points. You just repeat the fact that you get fined if you don't post a Title VII notice - a fact on which we both agree. What that possibly has to do with the topic at hand (a business's right to refuse to sell its services/goods to certain people), I have no idea.

Second, the fact that you claim to work in this industry but are unaware of the case pending before the Oregon Court of Appeals is troubling.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
You can't make assumptions about any one business as to whether they have conspicuously posted the Law in their place of business. In this case, we don't even know whether it was done or not. So...there's that.
I know because it was part of my job at one point.

And remember, any agent of the State "lawfully" on the premises can report such a violation.

State agents frequent private businesses "lawfully" all the time. In fact, it is through the law that they lawfully find themselves on the premises. Imagine that?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Two points. First, your response failed to substantively address any of my points. You just repeat the fact that you get fined if you don't post a Title VII notice - a fact on which we both agree. What that possibly has to do with the topic at hand (a business's right to refuse to sell its services/goods to certain people), I have no idea.

Second, the fact that you claim to work in this industry but are unaware of the case pending before the Oregon Court of Appeals is troubling.
I've vaguely heard of the Oregon case. I'm more in consulting now. Whatever. Chill brother.

We are talking about State-imposed fines leading to imprisonment.

If you don't display a State-mandated declaration you will be fined and if the fine isn't paid you will be imprisoned. That's Subpart C of your precious Civil Rights Act of 1964.

You clearly said the fines that stem from violating the CRA of 1964 were civil in nature.

You were wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Here you admit it.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I've vaguely heard of the Oregon case. I'm more in consulting now. Whatever. Chill brother.

We are talking about State-imposed fines leading to imprisonment.

If you don't display a State-mandated declaration you will be fined and if the fine isn't paid you will be imprisoned. That's Subpart C of your precious Civil Rights Act of 1964.

You clearly said the fines that stem from violating the CRA of 1964 were civil in nature.

You were wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Here you admit it.

Thanks.
Lol so "you do this for a living" until you're called out by someone, now you're more kinda in consulting now?

Anyway we were talking about State imposed fines that lead to "violence or imprisonment" that arise out of a refusal to accommodate certain classes of people in a place of public accommodation. Subsection C has literally nothing to do with the conversation

Old 08-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Lol so "you do this for a living" until you're called out by someone, now you're more kinda in consulting now?

Anyway we were talking about State imposed fines that lead to "violence or imprisonment" that arise out of a refusal to accommodate certain classes of people in a place of public accommodation. Subsection C has literally nothing to do with the conversation
Quit deflecting on my job because I'm smoking you in this conversation.

It's Subpart C, not Subsection C.

You said...

Quote:
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. None of the applicable laws here are enforceable with "violence" or incarceration.
And you are wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I just pointed it out. Subpart C of the Civil Rights Act sees a State-imposed fine of $210 upon violation. That fine will result in incarceration if not paid.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quit deflecting on my job because I'm smoking you in this conversation.

It's Subpart C, not Subsection C.

You said...

And you are wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I just pointed it out. Subpart C of the Civil Rights Act sees a State-imposed fine of $210 upon violation. That fine will result in incarceration if not paid.
Ok, riddle me this, Mr Conversation Smoker: What does this still-unidentified "Subpart C" have to do with whether a business should be able to deny service to a customer if the customer requests something that conflicts with his/her religious beliefs?

Hint: I already know the answer and it's "nothing"

Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Don't be a snowflake. Just do your damn job or go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies