Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
No one will benefit by having 1000 individual suppliers providing service. This is simple supply side economics here.
Competition bad.

Monopolies good.

Learn that at public school?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
So no environmental regulations. No anti-discrimination laws. No labor rights. No minimum wage. Sounds like the early 1800s. What a lovely era in which to live.
I know!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Libertarians are fine with food being poisoned...if it would get rid of government inspections and standards. I'm not kidding.

They say "well, people would stop going to that restaurant"......and they are right. They fail to say what the bankrupt business owners are going to do to reimburse the 20 dead and sick people.

Back them into a corner and they will shout "that's what we have courts for"...even tho the people are already dead.

It's as if they never grew up or took heed of the basics of this life "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
You should do a commercial for the FDA. You're quite the cheerleader for it.

Just hang out near an Amish farm in Ohio somewhere. They'll be the storm troopers with machine guns raiding the place because Gideon sold fresh milk to his neighbor.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What if the french bread is for the reception dinner? What if they want to serve pie or cookies at the reception?

Personally I feel that if you have a religious reason to not sell something, then you should not offer that item in your shop. Jewish delis don't sell pork because it's against their religious beliefs, but they aren't allowed to sell pork to person A but refuse it to person B.
They're not against selling the product. Their against endorsing a specific thing.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wait, so now you're an individual?

That's rich.

hat you choose to define as an "individual " has no baring on what we are discussing.

The desired end result of what you support is to allow people to discriminate. You are now arguing that you would hope the market removed racist and homophobes(while trying to claim im fear mongering) as if that negates the racism itself.

Quote:
My life belongs to the State. Your life belongs to the State.

It decides who receives the fruits of our labor, when, and where.

The free market is simply the default way free individuals would exchange goods and services if they chose to do so. It is what you, as the individual, make of it.
Again, that is not the purpose or functionality of the market

Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Of course the government can have total control of a business that is public, because it's spelled p u b l i c. If it has those six letters, the government can control it because physics.

The insanity of people who feel that freedom is forfeit once you decide to open a store is beyond belief.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
They're not against selling the product. Their against endorsing a specific thing.
But as i said in my response, the actual thing they are supposed to be against is the status of being gay, not the conduct of the wedding.

To simplify it even more. The sin is being gay, not the wedding.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:27 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,782 times
Quote:
I know!

Doesn't a business tend to do better if they are one of few to have a product or service to be sold? The more the better? Oh we forget about the unintended consequences don't we?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course the government can have total control of a business that is public, because it's spelled p u b l i c. If it has those six letters, the government can control it because physics.

The insanity of people who feel that freedom is forfeit once you decide to open a store is beyond belief.
Say what?

When you do business IN THE PUBLIC, in a "civil society" you thereby accept how that civil society works. Going in, knowing full well the law, benefits and consequences of said involvement in commerce.

What does physics have to do with it?

If one in this country, chooses not to participate in our "Civil Society" one should not open a business and expect to be able to discriminate. That just how that is.

I can think of other countries you could go to and get away with it though. Just not in America.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I own a business.

I spend 65% to 70% of my work time playing tiddliwinks with the State.
And....you knew you'd have to do that when you opened that business, didn't you? Life is grand!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.