Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So there is no such thing as contracts which are unwritten?

Let's talk real world. Said Bakery places advertisements everywhere (web site, store windows, handouts, newspapers) which say "cakes for ALL occasions".

Should they then - after promising this - decide late which occasions they serve?

The same goes for other businesses and promotion/marketing. Should a business be able to market itself as fully inclusive and "the place where everyone goes" with "100% satisfaction" and then so "ennie meanie minny moe" once a customer comes through the door?

The problem with debating this particular issue is that businesses are very different. Some engage in interstate commerce - others in health care - others in licensed business where they have agreed in one form or another to serve everyone.

Even someone like me - who believes in basic public accommodation law, would have no problem with being thrown out of an eatery for not being dressed to their (advertised) standard. Or, to be refused service due to acting out in a loud manner, etc.

But these are not discriminatory based on creed, religion, sex, age, etc. - they apply to all equally.

I could even be convinced that certain businesses under X revenue with a single location where the product is also available elsewhere....may have more rights to pick and choose their customers.

As a consultant (I was in retail for 20 years, tho, so I know my basics!)....I definitely get to pick and choose my clients. But I don't think I would be allowed to place an ad saying "No followers of Islam need apply".

So - in summary - different businesses differ! Where the "line" is will be up to the courts. Like it or not we live in a "society" and business is regulated.
We can regulate ourselves privately. That's all I'm saying. You don't need an involuntary 3rd party to settle your disputes.

Resolution councils can hear cases as needed.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:23 AM

809 posts, read 747,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yes, but only if ....
I like your answer.

The answer choices should have included "it depends on the circumstance".

An answer of "Not sure" doesn't cut it for me, as I'm pretty sure where businesses have an obligation to serve and where they have the right to reject a "customer".

Last edited by upgrader; 08-08-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
They shouldn't be allowed to refuse service due to religious beliefs. They are running a business. They need to leave their religious beliefs at home when dealing with the public.
Agreed. And until God shows his/her face to us and tells us he/she doesn't approve of whatever type of people, using religion is no excuse for refusing to offer services. I am sick to death for people using their invisible God as an excuse to hate others. It's interesting how God's opinion on gays/blacks/Jews/Muslims/Chinese/destitute/ugly/disabled/whatever people always coincides with their own. And saying, "It's not inconvenient to go to another business" is untrue as well. It doesn't matter if I only have to walk ten feet down the block to ask for services somewhere else; other people's bigotry is inconvenient.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Owners of a product/service do not need a reason to refuse. If they are forced to provide they are a slave.
If you have a business that serves the public, you serve the public. Anything else is blatant discrimination.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,620 times
Why is Chick-Fil-A allowed to close on Sunday? Why can't I buy beer before noon on Sunday? So many questions. Let people do whatever they want. If it's stupid or bigoted, it will probably come back to haunt them.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:50 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Im not sure how else to say that a private business is not a public business. The owner has the right to serve or not serve someone for any reason, because it's his/her stuff, not the public's stuff or the government's stuff.

I almost think some people view the world like a classroom where the authority makes people get along. This isn't school where the teacher is in charge and forces the kids to apologize and make up.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Im not sure how else to say that a private business is not a public business. The owner has the right to serve or not serve someone for any reason, because it's his/her stuff, not the public's stuff or the government's stuff.

I almost think some people view the world like a classroom where the authority makes people get along. This isn't school where the teacher is in charge and forces the kids to apologize and make up.
Uncle Sam is your daddy, your mommy, your shrink, your provider, and your teacher.

I think the only thing it isn't is your actual uncle.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Uncle Sam is your daddy, your mommy, your shrink, your provider, and your teacher.

I think the only thing it isn't is your actual uncle.

Sounds like Uncle Sam is having SJW-like identity issues...

Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
If you are in business I hope what you are looking for is for $$$. You should not get involved in people lives, just sell your goods at a market price. Period!
If we start dicing- the cashier with the purple hair and earing in her nose- won't take your money at the grocery store, the black barber won't cut your kids hair - the Indian doctor won't operate on you- the white fireman won't put out the fire at your mosque, the clothing store won't sell you your husband's pants- and hubby can't buy you that lacy nitey for your anniversary--
it can get that ridiculous

Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If you are in business I hope what you are looking for is for $$$. You should not get involved in people lives, just sell your goods at a market price. Period!
If we start dicing- the cashier with the purple hair and earing in her nose- won't take your money at the grocery store, the black barber won't cut your kids hair - the Indian doctor won't operate on you- the white fireman won't put out the fire at your mosque, the clothing store won't sell you your husband's pants- and hubby can't buy you that lacy nitey for your anniversary--
it can get that ridiculous
It would be ridiculous but they have that right. Maybe they should stop being petty and get along, but me forcing them to makes me the bad guy. I don't own their business or their lives. I can only use social pressure and try to convince others to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies