Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But anyone can say they are catholic. Many gays identify as catholic. Who decides who is catholic?
Will have to be spelled out in the contract.

The beauty of the free market. You must decide what's important to you and what you're willing to sacrifice to get goods/services.

Again, my advice would be to look within to see what you want, what you are willing to sacrifice, and what you can offer to up your chances of getting more in negotiations.

For most of us this will not be a long, arduous process. Yes, more time than simply having a suit downtown with an official government badge deciding for the both of us while one of his henchmen holds a gun to our heads but freedom is worth it...ya know...instead of having that gun at our heads.

In my opinion anyway. Many if not most statists have Stockholm Syndrome if you ask me. They are completely emotionally dependent on the government making decisions for them.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
But suppose the baker finds out on the day of delivery and now refuses to deliver the cake due to their religious beliefs. If this is a protected right, they can breach the contract with no repercussion by claiming "misrepresentation".
Sounds like a case for the resolution council.

Agreed upon of course.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
But how does that play out?

Are businesses obligated to put signs in the windows that say "no cakes for X, Y, or Z"? Are people looking for a cake obligated to state their personal history about X, Y, or Z?

Again, if a woman goes to buy a cake for her girlfriends birthday is she obligated to announce what the cake is for to all potential bakers?

What if the baker has a sign up that says "no cakes for gays" but a gay man stops to buy a cake for his sons birthday. Is he violating the law or someone's rights by buying a cake without disclosing his personal business? What if someone just looks "gay" is he business allowed to discriminate based on their perception of someone even if they deny it?
Your concerns are pretty far-fetched but I'm not going to dismiss them because anything is possible in the free market.

Sounds like you should really sit down and think about these things to position yourself to make these incidents rare/have your transactions run as smoothly as possible.

Like I said, freedom requires the individual to think.

You're not used to thinking for yourself in these terms. I'm not saying that to be offensive. Really. I'm not. Most people don't think about these things because we have the State that arbitrarily decides for us.

You either go to court and pay a fine or comply or else you get caged by a man with a gun.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Yes.

No one should be compelled to endorse or support something.

There is somewhat of a limit. If you believe blacks are inferior, I think it's valid to make laws saying they have to serve black people anyway. And I think that's true of gay people. But, if a black man goes into a bakery and asks the baker to make him a black power cake, the baker can refuse if he does not want to create something with that message. Same with gay marriage.

Put it in an extreme context, should a Jewish baker be compelled to bake a cake with a swastika?
Thats a flawed argument. One of my college professors actually used your explain(well, spray painting a peace sign vs a Swastika.

" Justice is blind, not stupid. Intent matters" he said.

A gay wedding cake is not in any way equal to a Swastika. One is meant to symbolize the love 2 people have for one another, the other is a symbol meant to strike fear into the hearts of certain people in todays context.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats a flawed argument. One of my college professors actually used your explain(well, spray painting a peace sign vs a Swastika.

" Justice is blind, not stupid. Intent matters" he said.

A gay wedding cake is not in any way equal to a Swastika. One is meant to symbolize the love 2 people have for one another, the other is a symbol meant to strike fear into the hearts of certain people in todays context.
I'm more afraid of marriage than Nazis.

But to each his own.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I'm not a religious person, but a private business should have the right to refuse service for ANY reason. I wouldn't care if the reason was because they don't like the look on someones's face. It's a private business, and this is a free country.

If you have a problem with this, you're simply ignorant. There is a LONG history of evidence that supports why what I said is correct. Do the research............
Well, no. Are you unaware that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 says that businesses may not refuse service based on race, color, religion, or national origin?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Will have to be spelled out in the contract.

The beauty of the free market. You must decide what's important to you and what you're willing to sacrifice to get goods/services.

Again, my advice would be to look within to see what you want, what you are willing to sacrifice, and what you can offer to up your chances of getting more in negotiations.

For most of us this will not be a long, arduous process. Yes, more time than simply having a suit downtown with an official government badge deciding for the both of us while one of his henchmen holds a gun to our heads but freedom is worth it...ya know...instead of having that gun at our heads.

In my opinion anyway. Many if not most statists have Stockholm Syndrome if you ask me. They are completely emotionally dependent on the government making decisions for them.
Sadly, "most" here means white and Christian.

And if the flaws in a business model do not affect the majority, then it isnt going to affect the business all that much either.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ditto

Agree also.

The Founders knew people and they knew history.

They understood that the day would come that religious faith would be attacked because it stood in the way of the state's overreach.

If the same-sex couples just wanted service (a cake, photographs, flowers, a DJ) they could simply take their business elsewhere, but this isn't about wedding services.

This is about what an individual is allowed to think and the views an individual is allowed to express in public.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s religious beliefs?"

The question comes from the quiz at isidewith.com

I'm having trouble deciding where I stand on the issue. On one hand, I'm not religious, so my gut reaction is to say that no one should be able to use religion to refuse service to anyone. On the other hand, I'm a strong believer in the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, and believe that the government should not interfere in an individual's right to exercise his or her religious beliefs.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your opinions.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s religious beliefs?"

The question comes from the quiz at isidewith.com

I'm having trouble deciding where I stand on the issue. On one hand, I'm not religious, so my gut reaction is to say that no one should be able to use religion to refuse service to anyone. On the other hand, I'm a strong believer in the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, and believe that the government should not interfere in an individual's right to exercise his or her religious beliefs.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your opinions.
NO. If you want to own a business then why would anyone put up with their discrimination. They would make more money if they didn't discriminate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies