Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,795,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If someone is having a heart attack, and the emts come. Does the EMT have a right to say they won't help the person because they are X and something about X is against their religion?

What if you are not an X type of person but are married to an X. You sign a contract with someone, say to build an addition and halfway through your X spouse comes home early one day and the contractor now refuses to complete the contract due to their religious beliefs. Are they liable for monetary damages?
An EMT would still treat the person.

What they could refuse to participate in, or allow while they are treating, would be if the patient insisted a chicken be sacrificed in the ambulance in order to get well.

Or more reasonably, if an EMT (of a private company not contracting to a municipality) refused to let someone ride along and pray the rosary if that was offensive to the EMT.

And, yes, the contractor would be breaking his contract so would be liable.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
An EMT would still treat the person.

What they could refuse to participate in, or allow while they are treating, would be if the patient insisted a chicken be sacrificed in the ambulance in order to get well.

Or more reasonably, if an EMT (of a private company not contracting to a municipality) refused to let someone ride along and pray the rosary if that was offensive to the EMT.

And, yes, the contractor would be breaking his contract so would be liable.
How do you know the emt would treat the person? Why are their religious beliefs not as protected as the bakers?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No it doesn't! Walk with me...

Say I'm a dentist. You come to me interested in my services. Need a tooth pulled.

I say I'm game to provide you services. I whip out the contract stating you can only be Catholic, wear green socks, and drive a motorcycle (no cars) in order to be my client.

You either agree to the terms or not. The free market will make competition...real competition...fierce for services.

If that's my business model I'm probably not going to be around for too long but it's my choice to run my business that way. I never deprived you of your rights because you either consented or refused service.
But anyone can say they are catholic. Many gays identify as catholic. Who decides who is catholic?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,102,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s religious beliefs?"

The question comes from the quiz at isidewith.com

I'm having trouble deciding where I stand on the issue. On one hand, I'm not religious, so my gut reaction is to say that no one should be able to use religion to refuse service to anyone. On the other hand, I'm a strong believer in the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, and believe that the government should not interfere in an individual's right to exercise his or her religious beliefs.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your opinions.
Do you have an example?

I mean ideally, a religious person should NOT get into any business that may provide services which are against his own faith.

For example, many Muslims do not start any business that serves alcohol, gambling (lotto) and pork products because it's against their faith. So if a customer tries to purchase alcohol or lotto tickets or a pork product, those Muslims don't get bothered. They simply let their customers know that their business does not provide these items.

On the other hand, if u r referring to the bakery and cake incidence, then IMO, and in all honesty, if someone's religion does not allow them to serve to LGBT, then they should not start any business at all because how are they going to conduct their business????

Are they going take an oath from every walking in customer to state that he is not gay or she is not a lesbian? Or, are they going to ask every walking in customer take their pants down and prove that they are not transgendered before they could buy a pack of cigarettes?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,104,725 times
Quote:
But how does that play out?

Are businesses obligated to put signs in the windows that say "no cakes for X, Y, or Z"? Are people looking for a cake obligated to state their personal history about X, Y, or Z?

Again, if a woman goes to buy a cake for her girlfriends birthday is she obligated to announce what the cake is for to all potential bakers?

What if the baker has a sign up that says "no cakes for gays" but a gay man stops to buy a cake for his sons birthday. Is he violating the law or someone's rights by buying a cake without disclosing his personal business? What if someone just looks "gay" is he business allowed to discriminate based on their perception of someone even if they deny it?
It plays out verbally.

If a gay man walks into a bakery and asks for a wedding cake without disclosing that they are gay and the baker does not ask, it does not really matter if the baker would not bake a cake for a same sex wedding. If the baker is so concerned, they could have asked.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,185,845 times
Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s religious beliefs?

Here's the problem: snowflake bakers get all offended when a gay couple want a cake.
There is no conflict with beliefs. It's a cake.
Selling a cake for money doesn't endorse the wedding or conflict with the baker's beliefs. It's a cake.
Just take the money and bake the cake.
It's a business transaction, not a life-changing alteration of beliefs.
Jeez.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 PM

3,373 posts, read 2,162,326 times
I think a business should be free to deny service over religious objection(s) only so long as they're not also providing services to government entities or have an outstanding balance remaining on a government-backed loan. Keep your private business 100% private and do as you please with respect to sales/service; the market will judge whether or not you're to remain financially solvent.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You enter a contract, and it's incumbent upon you to fulfill it. If you back out, you pay the consequences.

However, no non-essential business should be forced into any contract.

Do you believe a non-essential business should be forced into a contract?
But if your religious beliefs are a fundamental right to deny a service how are they not a right to utilize in order to break a contract? In order for a contract to now be considered binding every aspect of someone's religious beliefs would need to be laid out in the contract, because now religious belief is a protected class to deny service. Disparate religious beliefs now become "misrepresentation" which is one of the reasons already used to legally break a contract. Keep in mind this is not intentional misrepresentation and need not include deliberate action.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It plays out verbally.

If a gay man walks into a bakery and asks for a wedding cake without disclosing that they are gay and the baker does not ask, it does not really matter if the baker would not bake a cake for a same sex wedding. If the baker is so concerned, they could have asked.
But suppose the baker finds out on the day of delivery and now refuses to deliver the cake due to their religious beliefs. If this is a protected right, they can breach the contract with no repercussion by claiming "misrepresentation".

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,104,725 times
Quote:
But suppose the baker finds out on the day of delivery and now refuses to deliver the cake due to their religious beliefs. If this is a protected right, they can breach the contract with no repercussion by claiming "misrepresentation".
I would say that if the payment has been made, the deal is done. In that scenario, they would be required to deliver the cake regardless of religious beliefs because the customers have already paid for the service. Taking the service away once it's been paid for would be theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies