Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
You have to further narrow this premise. In America, you are either a public entity or a privately owned entity. If you operate within the public (for the public) that means the general public at-large and you CAN NOT discriminate.

Now if you sold your wares in the back of your car or otherwise, not publicly that would be different.
How can anyone be private? Shouldn't the government have say over who you associate with since you use public infrastructure?

Shouldn't the government say who you can associate with you as a member of the public?

I assume you really envy the way North Korea is in charge of the public there.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Eliminate the "public sphere". That's the answer.
Yes. That's exactly what I said. If you're private business that doesn't provide goods and services to the general public then you can discriminate all you want. No other way around it in AMERICA.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Yes. That's exactly what I said. If you're private business that doesn't provide goods and services to the general public then you can discriminate all you want. No other way around it in AMERICA.
If everyone uses the infrastructure, how can anyone be private?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How can anyone be private? Shouldn't the government have say over who you associate with since you use public infrastructure?

Shouldn't the government say who you can associate with you as a member of the public?

I assume you really envy the way North Korea is in charge of the public there.
OMG. If you owned a business you couldn't make it a private enterprise? Of course you can. You don't have to open your services or sell your wares to the general public. You can sell it to one group or two groups if you want. Get out of dodge....

Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
No, just privatize goods and services.

If there is a demand for it a willing supplier will emerge to benefit himself.
No one will benefit by having 1000 individual suppliers providing service. This is simple supply side economics here.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If everyone uses the infrastructure, how can anyone be private?
It can't. That's the reason why you can't DISCRIMINATE.

Get it now?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
It would be ridiculous but they have that right. Maybe they should stop being petty and get along, but me forcing them to makes me the bad guy. I don't own their business or their lives. I can only use social pressure and try to convince others to do the same.
If you only want to serve or sell/ to one certain type of people, become a private club! As a Christian, I love not try to hurt people .

Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
No, just privatize goods and services.

If there is a demand for it a willing supplier will emerge to benefit himself.
So no environmental regulations. No anti-discrimination laws. No labor rights. No minimum wage. Sounds like the early 1800s. What a lovely era in which to live.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
So no environmental regulations. No anti-discrimination laws. No labor rights. No minimum wage. Sounds like the early 1800s. What a lovely era in which to live.
Libertarians are fine with food being poisoned...if it would get rid of government inspections and standards. I'm not kidding.

They say "well, people would stop going to that restaurant"......and they are right. They fail to say what the bankrupt business owners are going to do to reimburse the 20 dead and sick people.

Back them into a corner and they will shout "that's what we have courts for"...even tho the people are already dead.

It's as if they never grew up or took heed of the basics of this life "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Back to the idea of businesses posting hateful advertisements, listing and signs in their windows....this would put the USA into a third world or worst position. As it stands, many foreign tourists are already avoiding the "new" USA....this type of think only affirms their decisions to spend their dollars elsewhere.

This new "Great" American smells like something out of the worst parts of history.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
OMG. If you owned a business you couldn't make it a private enterprise? Of course you can. You don't have to open your services or sell your wares to the general public. You can sell it to one group or two groups if you want. Get out of dodge....
I own a business.

I spend 65% to 70% of my work time playing tiddliwinks with the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.