Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
2 points to be made here.

Your life is not mine, nor mine yours. Do not let your own experiences cloud your better judgement of the realities of the world, especially when your own argument is to allow discrimination.

Second point, the Free Market is not designed to exact revenge. As long as "Business A" provides a good product at a good price, their racism or homophobia will be overlooked.

Roy Moore will be a US senator in a couple of months, that alone should tell you that the world isnt as full of sunshine and rainbows as you claim.
Wait, so now you're an individual?

That's rich.

My life belongs to the State. Your life belongs to the State.

It decides who receives the fruits of our labor, when, and where.

The free market is simply the default way free individuals would exchange goods and services if they chose to do so. It is what you, as the individual, make of it.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you do not own the fruits of your labor you are a slave.

There is no middle ground. It's as simple as that.

You can deny service/products to anyone you want for any reason.
When you operate within the public sphere, you don't have a right to choose. If you do not offer your services to the general public then that's another matter.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
It's not even a religious issue as much as a property rights issue. You own the business and the products, so you can trade/not trade with whoever you want.
Not if that business enjoys the benefits of tax benefits provided for said business operations (property upon which the business sits, etc.) when you operate within the public you should not be trying to deny anyone. If you are private entity not doing business within the general public sphere, then you get to choose.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Some people really don't like the idea of choice.

When choice is an option, it's hard to make others do what you want.

As long as you aren't hurting others, you should be able to choose to do practically anything you want.

BTW, not getting cake isn't harm.
You have to further narrow this premise. In America, you are either a public entity or a privately owned entity. If you operate within the public (for the public) that means the general public at-large and you CAN NOT discriminate.

Now if you sold your wares in the back of your car or otherwise, not publicly that would be different.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:22 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you do not own the fruits of your labor you are a slave.

There is no middle ground. It's as simple as that.

You can deny service/products to anyone you want for any reason.
Absent things like Housing and emergent medical care..or Govt. funded services--I agree.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
But you are serving the public. Is it fair that others in your community are able to derive services from a business but you can't just because you have a different lifestyle?

Using the baker as an example; let's assume that it's a small town and he's the only baker in town. The gay couple is now faced with the prospect of not having a wedding cake. Straight couples in the community have no issue getting a cake but the gay couple have to go out of there way to get the same thing. I just don't think that's fair.

Now if the gay couple were to ask for something that would be considered offensive on the cake then I would say the business owner has the right to refuse that but not the basic service of providing the cake.
You're the only poster so far that gets this right!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, no. Are you unaware that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 says that businesses may not refuse service based on race, color, religion, or national origin?
let them harp all they want about businesses have a right to deny service and goods to those they don't want to. In America as a company serving the public ~ THEY DON'T HAVE THIS RIGHT.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Not if that business enjoys the benefits of tax benefits provided for said business operations (property upon which the business sits, etc.) when you operate within the public you should not be trying to deny anyone. If you are private entity not doing business within the general public sphere, then you get to choose.
I just think that's on odd argument when you break it down. It's like if I cooked up some BBQ for friends and family only, that's fine even though I'm discriminating against everyone else. If I started selling my BBQ only to my immediate neighbors, that's fine even though I'm discriminating against everyone else. If I put up a sign that says "T0103E's BBQ" so that people can find me, does that suddenly change things? When I move into a new building with a kitchen and dining area for my guests? At what point is it doing business with the general public? And at what point do I lose the right to cook my BBQ for whoever I want?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
You're the only poster so far that gets this right!
The thing with that post is that it doesn't matter if it's fair or not. You don't just punish people as criminals for hurting people's feelings or inconveniencing them, or doing things you disapprove of. They're criminals if they initiate force against innocent people or violate their property rights (theft, fraud, etc), not if they just refuse to interact with someone.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I just think that's on odd argument when you break it down. It's like if I cooked up some BBQ for friends and family only, that's fine even though I'm discriminating against everyone else. If I started selling my BBQ only to my immediate neighbors, that's fine even though I'm discriminating against everyone else. If I put up a sign that says "T0103E's BBQ" so that people can find me, does that suddenly change things? When I move into a new building with a kitchen and dining area for my guests? At what point is it doing business with the general public? And at what point do I lose the right to cook my BBQ for whoever I want?
Once you operate a place of public accommodation, you are no longer permitted to discriminate against a protected class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies