Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times

Advertisements

don't like cops anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Maybe Big Ag should pay higher wages to attract workers. Capitalism 101.

Isn't it amazing how capitalism is the greatest thing in the world until it negatively affects big business?
Yep, and who do you think lobbies behind the scenes not to crack down on illegal immigration?

Illegal immigration bolsters corporate profits and suppresses labor wages but they've done one heckuva job describing any opposition as "uncaring", "racist", blah blah blah.....

Must be nice supporting employment operations reminiscient of the 1920's meat packing industry while spouting off about $15/min wage and living wages from the other side of their mouths.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:29 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sad, but it simply is showing how some Americans are too lazy to work. If those unemployed didn't want the best of everything they would be out there picking the produce. What did they do 40 years ago, before we had so many illegals living here? I do believe we need a good worker program but I also believe lazy people are just that and don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Oh I take that back, they do care; they care about how much the government will give them for not working.
Some Americans dont want to relocate with their families, live in a car or tent, for a seasonal job paying squat. Legal Hb2 visa holders could have those jobs also but its the business owners who do not want to pay the going rate or deal with paperwork to hire legal workers.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Let the vegetables rot where they are until farmers stop near slave labor from Mexico. What gives them the right to hire illegals? They can make an honest profit and hire documented workers at going wages. If not, they need to shut down and let others take over the farms that will do so.
I have zero sympathy for farmers who don't play by the rules and zero sympathy for illegals that think they can just walk over the border and work as if they belong here displacing legal temporary migrants.
Newsflash, you may pay more at the super market. It should have been that way all along. Get over it.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And we all will pay more. Which is fine with me, personally. I'm all for paying for goods that are made by Americans paid a fair and legal wage. I'm prepared to pay these higher costs.

Is the rest of America prepared to do that? Or are we addicted to Wal-Mart/Target/Amazon pricing? I suspect most are...
The truth is, most people aren't willing to pay more. Welcome to "look out for #1 and forget everyone else" in this regard. I think the reason we don't see more Americans/legal people working in the farms

1) For the pay farmers are willing to pay, it isn't enough for the average citizen/legal worker
2) Average American isn't willing to pay that cost. Many Americans eat fewer fresh fruits and vegetables than they should be eating. Why? It's considered cheaper.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
$13 million in losses so far this year, in two counties aline

Immigration: California Crops Rot During Farmworker Shortage | Fortune.com
There was another thread on the same basic report. My comment was 13 million dollars is a pretty small number compared to the total crop value. The report I saw was 13 million in Santa Barbara County where the total crop value is well over a billion dollars.

Also raise the wages and California and the Federal governments should make it harder for able bodied people to get entitlements when there are jobs available.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM

30,453 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wait. How are there crops in CA? I thought the man made global warming caused drought had destroyed the ability to grow anything. What happened?
They have pumped the underground water dry about sly.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,547 times
My Uncle owns a farm in update NY. I was actually up at his farm this past weekend.
He has hired all American workers to help on the farm and he himself works on the farm (picking crops, feeding cows etc.) even though he is a retired multi millionaire from NYC area.
I asked him if the farm makes any money (as this is a retirement hobby more than a career) and he said that surprisingly the farm makes money.
Surprising, since the people he employs probably are paid well for farm standards.
Dug up a few onions while I was there, boy they were delicious!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
PEARANOIA.

This again? Every year with these people.

2004 - California, Raisins, Olives

2006 - Pickers Are Few, and Growers Blame Congress

2010 - A Shortage of Mexican Laborers Threatens Arizona Farming

2012 - A rancid harvest for Georgia’s farmers

2013 - Farmers scrambling to find harvest labor

2015 - On U.S. Farms, Fewer Hands for the Harvest

More Data on The Phony Farm Labor Crisis
I highly recommend some of the illegal apologists to read this post again. Read the links. Those stories are saying the exact same thing that this story is saying.

Example:
Quote:
Farmers across California are experiencing the same problem: Seasonal workers who have been coming for decades to help with the harvest, planting and pruning have dropped off in recent years. With immigration crackdowns, an aging Mexican population, drug wars at the border and a weakened job market in the United States, the flow of migrants has stopped and may actually have reversed...
When was this written? 2012 (It's from one of the links above.)

In other words, this has been going on for years, and not a one of you got on here and said a thing about it.

Your produce is not going to go up in price. This is just another bs "feel guilty" story that only works on the uneducated left.

The post quoted completely and totally /thread.

And just in case you were getting ready to "BUT......"

Zip it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So where does the 13 mil figure come from other than says NBC.
Now if you read the actual congressional research services document on US farm income outlook for 2017 that was linked in the article it states losses are due to:

So losses in farm income are due to price and exports/importing countries.
If farmers indeed cant get illegals to pick crops they best suck it up an pay a little more for legal workers through H2B work visas.
Double /thread. This thread is so ended its dead. The story is total horse puckey fear mongering by the lame stream media, and once again, the left fell for it.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. The market sets wages. The market should be LEGAL, not ILLEGAL. Other businesses figure out how to operate in the legal marketplace. Either cut operating expenses elsewhere, or raise prices. if you competitors have to do it too, then it should stabilize.
Yes, other businesses are so ethical.

Why Insurance Companies Are Saying No to Generic Drugs

https://inequality.org/great-divide/...y-wall-street/

https://www.frommers.com/tips/airfar...on-their-taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies