Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Well they can't infringe on your 4th amendment rights. I don't think employers should be stifling free speech. Whether they can legally fire you or not doesn't make it less un-American or anti-free speech.
Yes they can infringe on those rights, otherwise drug testing would not be so widespread.

https://www.americanbar.org/content/...thcheckdam.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

As far as I can tell the rally was a group of people that assembled to peaceably petition the government for a redress of grievances.
And did congress fire those people? Or did private citizens?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
That's not a straw man.

He put it as simple as he could for you.

You're employed at will without a contract or union to protect you.

Employer no longer wants to employ you, out you go.

Tenancy laws stipulate you typically have 30 days to get out because of laws put into effect. There's not law saying your boss can't fire you.
You are not following the conversation. I was talking about people being fired for free speech and he brings up the Klan.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:58 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
You are not following the conversation. I was talking about people being fired for free speech and he brings up the Klan.
Its the same and you dodged.

Quote:
I don't get how people say private individuals or employers should be able to stifle free expression and assembly as long as they are not the government. It's un-American and violates the spirit of free speech.

Should employers fire gun owners too, since they are not the government and are not infringing on gun owners by making them decide between exercising their 2nd amendment rights or employment?

What about the 4th amendment? Are private individuals or employers allowed to search you at will because they have some kind of suspicion?

What about amendment 9, the enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Doesn't that suggest that people have rights beyond how and what they is framed in the Bill of Rights. Like for instance, to generally have a right to make a living and have free speech at the same time.
Freedom of speech was never meant to be freedom of consequences for that free speech.

Do you think the NFL a private organization should not have been allowed to fire Colin Kaepernick?

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And did congress fire those people? Or did private citizens?
A private individual can't violate or infringe on your constitutional and civil rights unless strangely it's your 1st amendment rights.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
Quote:
I think you do. We didn't always have PC speech and people getting fired for things they said or place they were seen. This is a very recent phenomenon facilitated by politics.
I find it to be fueled by capitalism. When you lay employees off, the companies unemployment rate can go up costing them more money, but when you fire them, the employee is not guaranteed unemployment and usually has to go through an appeal process that they'll likely lose.

Through the years I've seen coworkers lose their job for calling 911 when a customer fell in a store, breaking up a fist fight between customers, getting punched by customers, and trying to stop thieves from stealing.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
A private individual can't violate or infringe on your constitutional and civil rights unless strangely it's your 1st amendment rights.
Nonsense. Go tell your boss to go f himself. Watch what happens.

Meanwhile being fired does not stop you from speaking. What you are claiming is fre speech means you have a right to a job regardless of what asinine thing you say. That is just plain old Faldo.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I think you do. We didn't always have PC speech and people getting fired for things they said or place they were seen. This is a very recent phenomenon facilitated by politics.
So please show us where you took up for Colin kaepernick. You must be against the NFL firing him right?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Gotta love these American "patriots" who continue to boldly and proudly display their ignorance of the Constitution.

No doubt these are the same people who wanted Colin Kaepernick to be cut for kneeling during the national anthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies