Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 04:22 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
Actions have consequences especially in this day and age.

To me, belief in a master race and white supremacy accompanied by an admiration for Hitler are signs of a feeble mind and an untrustworthy personality. If I were an employer, I wouldn't want such people working for me.

Such people are not worth the trouble. It sucks that some got fired, but perhaps it's for the best.

We have enough people walking around playing victims. We don't need anymore.

Oh, it was more than "a gathering". How many people with HELMETS and SHIELDS show up at "gatherings"?

It's astounding. "I don't condone what went down BUT ....blah blah blah" and then proceed to minimize, rationalize, justify and sanitize the POS's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Mtl1:

So I suppose you'd have no problems with teachers in a private school attending a NAMBLA meeting while off the clock?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
How would you feel as an African American or Jewish or some other minority if you saw your boss dressed up in KKK garb on tv? Lets say you're a business owner and you saw your HR manager on the news outfitted in white supremacist garb.

Yes, business owners are within their rights to release a known white supremacist from employment. You may not like it, but that's their choice, not yours. As soon as you own your own business, you can hire all the bigots you want.
Not any worse than when my boss is black has a non-English first name, where's Africa clothing, supports BLM, and treats white employees disparately from black ones.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You creating apples and oranges comparisons. He was using his employer, the NFL, as a public platform to express his views. I never said anyone should have completely free speech to do anything while on the clock to perform their job or at the worksite.
Wait so speech is only free depending on the time of day? Where is that in the first ammendment exactly? Oh wait, it isn't. Same with the clause saying freedom from consequence, specifically absent from the first amendment.

You are protected from prosecution from your government. The constitution does not say anywhere that private citizens have to put up with your white nationalist nonsense. Are you going to cry that your neighbors are stifling your speech when they shun you for your whackadoodle views too?

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
You have the right to free speech as long as it doesn't offend anyone else. Welcome to 2017 United States. Washington, Jefferson and Franklin would be so proud of what we've become
The Constitution says the Government cannot shut me up.

It does not say a word about my spouse, parents, kids or employer.

Too bad so few citizens understand what the Constitution says.

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I don't understand how a party that has rallied against workers rights for years, is now complaining that employees can be fired for attending a protest based on hate. You can now be fired for just about anything, some states the employer doesn't even need a reason.

Idiots made the bed, they can sleep in it.
Amen.

An employer can fire you for any reason as long as you are not a protected class. As far as I know, white supremacists are not a protected class.

Now . . how I feel about doxing is more complicated.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:26 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Sorry. Had to fix the OP to read pro choice.

Anyway. So the same for any other employer that may not be a church. Do you still feel the same?
Yes. It would suck but if I chose to work for a company that was solidly against abortion (Hobby Lobby) comes to mind but kept it quiet but then got on my local news in a Pro-Choice group, then I shouldn't be too shocked. They may not want me working at the register if my views run against what the stand for.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
So a church that fires an unmarried woman for getting pregnant is defended by the right, but they want to protect the white supremacists carrying Nazi flags? The woman might be fired for getting an abortion or fired for keeping the baby but either way, she may likely lose her job. But Nazi flags, that's okay?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Sorry. Had to fix the OP to read pro choice.

Anyway. So the same for any other employer that may not be a church. Do you still feel the same?
Did they sign an agreement of any kind?

Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Actions have consequences especially in this day and age.

To me, belief in a master race and white supremacy accompanied by an admiration for Hitler are signs of a feeble mind and an untrustworthy personality. If I were an employer, I wouldn't want such people working for me.

Such people are not worth the trouble. It sucks that some got fired, but perhaps it's for the best.

We have enough people walking around playing victims. We don't need anymore.

Oh, it was more than "a gathering". How many people with HELMETS and SHIELDS show up at "gatherings"?

It's astounding. "I don't condone what went down BUT ....blah blah blah" and then proceed to minimize, rationalize, justify and sanitize the POS's.
Probably the same percentage that show up ready for battle at BLM and Occupy protests. I agree there is no such thing as peaceful protest in our country these days. We have people on both extremes that hate each other and want to hurt each other. We had the same exact thing happen a few weeks ago in Orange County and people on both sides were stabbed and beaten with baseball bats and other weapons. The country is a powder keg right now. I hear a lot of rhetoric and nonsense from every side but I don't hear anyone offering solutions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies