Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:46 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times

Advertisements

Basically, the whole world. The history of human progress is strongly linked to all kinds of exchanges. An isolated country, region, is doomed to failure, backwardness, and stagnation. Fact.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I know I tan dark but am still a pro-white, pro-America conservative.
How white do you have to be for you to be in favorite of us staying alive and well in America? Are Irish-Americans white enough? Are Italian Americans? What about those of us who had ancestors who came over on the Mayflower but have since had a few Irish ancestors mixed in? I can't understand how shallow a person has to think to believe whiteness matters in anything other than underwear and clean sheets.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Humans, IMHO, have a survival-instinct that makes them racist.......they most closely trust, group and identify with those who are most racially-similar to themselves.

When there is a totally unnatural and forced grouping of different races and cultures, it is going to eventually lead to much fighting, power-grabs/power-envy, social chaos and generalized disharmony.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Forced association is the problem.

Has nothing to do with skin color, "race", etc.
THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^ x10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How white do you have to be for you to be in favorite of us staying alive and well in America? Are Irish-Americans white enough? Are Italian Americans? What about those of us who had ancestors who came over on the Mayflower but have since had a few Irish ancestors mixed in? I can't understand how shallow a person has to think to believe whiteness matters in anything other than underwear and clean sheets.
I don't even know any white or black people. All the people I meet are shades of brown.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Roman civilization existed for well over 1000 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
The Roman civilization has more in common with the British Empire. It was an umbrella term for disparate cultures living under the same ruler. But those societies rarely interacted with each other.
The Roman empire's population consisted of an overwhelmingly vast majority of non-citizens, lacking the rights and privileges of Roman citizenship, living in their own countries.

True, any ethnicity or race could attain Roman citizenship through outstanding service, but that also meant total cultural assimilation to the Roman ideal.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Humans, IMHO, have a survival-instinct that makes them racist.......they most closely trust, group and identify with those who are most racially-similar to themselves.

When there is a totally unnatural and forced grouping of different races and cultures, it is going to eventually lead to much fighting, power-grabs/power-envy, social chaos and generalized disharmony.
I don't know about that. I am white, in an interracial relationship, and live in a majority Mexican neighborhood, and I don't feel fear of my neighbors

Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
In all honesty, you'd have a harder time finding a NONE diverse society that succeeded for any real length of time. Japan, with its rather xenophobic outlook on foreigners, is about the only one. Every single other major power, from Rome to China to the various later European powers that changed the continent's map once a year, were quite diverse and succeeded well enough by the standards of the time.

The problem isn't "diversity" or the "horror" of some brown people moving into a house on your street or a mosque being built in town, as those on the far-right would have you believe, but failed integration. When a specific subset of society is forced to be second class citizens for a long time, that will cause problems: poverty, crime, violence, etc. But this has nothing to do with "icky brown people" or "those savages over there." ANY minority or group can be abused in this way by those in power, and the outcome is always bad for the civilization in question in the long run. Heck, you can look at the far-right hatred of gays - it's just more of the same, and they aren't even some "crazy group of foreigners with their strange gods and scary clothing" per the usual target of right-wing hatred.

But people need to be honest with themselves - the vast majority of people who arrive by choice in a new land WANT to integrate. This crackpot notion of hordes of people moving here to "create their own nation within a nation" is just xenophobic BS and has been used before to justify hating everyone from the Chinese to all Catholics, such a the Irish, Germans, Italians, etc. Just look up the "Know Nothing Party" to see what I mean. I find it extremely hard to believe that "this time" the angry, fearful, bigoted doomsayers will be right when they've been wrong EVERY SINGLE other time they feared the stranger for nearly the entirety of our nation's history, if not that of most of the civilized world.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't know why you are asking me this but yes all Europeans and Westerners are white. Most old stock Americans are a partial mix of British Isles and northwest European, and the "Ellis Island" era immigrants were white European for the most part too. Whiteness sure matters to the Left and a lot of people, ie, how fewer there will be in the future, how they are the blame for everything etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:30 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
A diverse, and multi-cultural society can succeed only if those new immigrants, or at least their first gen children ASSIMILATE. Speak English, and embrace American culture and values, including capitalism, and NOT the welfare state.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:31 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Russia(without the former Soviet Republics) believe it or not is made up of several different races/ethnicities and they are still one of the more important countries in the world last I checked
But Russia is still very white. No blacks or Hispanics to speak of. Hardly any Jewish people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies