Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There is quite a sizeable Jewish population in Russia, what are you talking about?

And eastern Russia has mostly Asians, and the Caucasus has Muslims.
Oh Russia, even after the breakup of the USSR, is still very multiethnic and multicultural. Over 180 ethnic groups and over 50 minority languages.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,561 times
It works well in America....and in 200 years everybody will be a mix/shade of tan or brown anyway, and share a lot of elements from different cultures.

Most of us are some mix already...as evidenced by a bunch of dolt white supremacists disputing their DNA tests. That cracks me up.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
To be fair: race and ethnicity ain't always the same thing. "Hispanic" is a real good example: a Latino can be of ANY race or even mixed race.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I'd say we're succeeding pretty well, at least so far. Yes, there is a disgruntled minority, but most Americans get along with others quite well. California is probably the best example of this. Not much ethnic conflict here, and the state is the most diverse in the country.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'd hardly call Japan not having much social problems.

Low birth rate, aging population, fewer women wanting to get married, and limited professional and career opportunities for women. Increasing alienation of many young people from society, including the phenomenon of "shut-ins". Pressure-filled examination-based education system.

South Korea is also a relatively homogenous society but they have had conflict within and without their society, including political upheaval. Regionalism and provincial rivalries abound.
Also, though the South Koreans are some of the most "racially pure" people in the world, do you know they have literally never won a single war? I just thought that was interesting.

Some very successful multiethnic societies:

USA
British Empire/UK
Roman Empire

OK just for fun:
Texas (yes, we were our own country, and still have one of the world's largest economies - and for the record, less than 50 percent of Texans are white, non Hispanic folks) Greg Abbott says if Texas were a country, its economy would rank 10th in world | PolitiFact Texas

Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
It works well in America....and in 200 years everybody will be a mix/shade of tan or brown anyway, and share a lot of elements from different cultures.

Most of us are some mix already...as evidenced by a bunch of dolt white supremacists disputing their DNA tests. That cracks me up.
You know what's hilarious? We had all these legends in our family lore about "Indian princesses" and "gypsies" and all that good stuff, so I was curious about it and got my DNA tested. The results come back color coded. My husband got his done too and got his results first. Though he looks like a Nordic Viking with his chiseled features, blonde hair, and blue eyes, his chart looked like a freaking rainbow - he even has western African and Jewish ancestry! So I was all excited about mine, which came in a day or two later. I ripped into the mail...

My chart was 100 percent blue. Nearly all DARK blue (northern European) with a bit of medium blue from the British Isles thrown in for good measure. The most "exotic" I am is that I am a bit Finnish - which is still like, well, super white. I'm the whitest person I know! After the shock of it, I realized that all our histories are really interesting - that all those lily white people in my ancestry had interesting lives just like all my husband's ancestors did - mine were just really pale - LOL. But I have to admit that I was a little let down to find out that I didn't have any gypsies in my ancestry.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Well five races hasn't been together in the history of the world but lets look at the countries today that are successful.

South Africa- one of the best countries in Africa and has 4 racial/ethnic groups- Whites/ Blacks/ Cape Coloureds.
The two most advanced countries in Africa are Mauritius and Seychelles by HDI, they are both multiracial/multicultural.
Interesting... I've never thought of South Africa as a good example of a successful country but I guess it is by African standards. And it makes sense, from an African perspective, to see multiracial societies as best.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:53 AM

628 posts, read 663,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
That is not true at all.

Skin color is due to one factor only - how much time your ancestors spent under sunny and/or cloudy skies.
This is dangerously wrong. Thinking like this is why we will continue to have a black underclass in our country.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
This is dangerously wrong. Thinking like this is why we will continue to have a black underclass in our country.
How do you think skin colors evolved?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:36 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But Russia is still very white. No blacks or Hispanics to speak of. Hardly any Jewish people there.
I think Putin himself is Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies