Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
One cannot be both anti-capitalism and non-violent.

Capitalism by definition is free enterprise or based on voluntary transactions.
Definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

By charging $10+ per gallon, only the people who REALLY need it will buy it.

huh hum - yea tell me that when you are knee deep in sewage toxic water with your baby in your arms--

selectively blind- they just can't see past their own noses
Not sure how gas will help in that situation. If you are wanting to leave the area, why not buy 5 gallons at $10/gal, then fill up again when you leave the flood zone where prices are normal?

Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Once again, it's illegal but wrong. The law is a political move not a scientific at all.

This anti-price gouging law appeases the clueless but actually hurts them more.

You think it is wrong. Many do not. I would be livid if the price of gas was suddenly $20 because of Harvey. My husband is unemployed and we wouldn't be able to afford to fill up a car in order to get to and from work. Who in the hell is that helping besides the gas station? You would have businesses closing, people unable to get to work, prices raising in other areas to pay for gas.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
There's a simple solution that doesn't require price gouging. They could just make a rule that no one can buy more than x number of gallons of gas and have the pumps shut off when they reach that amount. My husband had a 50 gallon gas tank on the back of his truck and paying $10 a gallon would have been do-able with good credit. BUT it's not fair or moral for someone in a similar situation to fill up a 50 gallon tank when gas is in temporary, short supply.
Some businesses already do that for sale items. The bozos just have their wife, kids, aunts, and uncles go in and buy the limit.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Some businesses already do that for sale items. The bozos just have their wife, kids, aunts, and uncles go in and buy the limit.
That's a little harder to when putting gas in the family car, with the long lines.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 PM

5,996 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Anti-price gouging law hurts people. That's not a disputed fact in economics.

It's a stupid, immoral and evil political decision.

Why can't we go to Florida? What are you planning to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You think it is wrong. Many do not. I would be livid if the price of gas was suddenly $20 because of Harvey. My husband is unemployed and we wouldn't be able to afford to fill up a car in order to get to and from work. Who in the hell is that helping besides the gas station? You would have businesses closing, people unable to get to work, prices raising in other areas to pay for gas.
They deny reality and facts in order to promote whatever cruel agenda they've cooked up. It seems they get off on making it difficult or impossible for people to recover from these disasters like this. It's really weird if you ask me. There's several of them on here doing it. Not one of them (especially lifeexplorer) is able to provide any evidence to back up what it is they're claiming.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Science is not democratic. Votes mean nothing in front of the law of economics.

Your husband wouldn't be able to fill out either way then as price control creates scarcity.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You need to back this up with evidence. I think you just made that up to further your agenda without any real facts to go along with it. Emotional outbursts like that do not draw people to your cause. Please reference incidents of someone, anyone being hurt by these anti-gouging laws.

Here in Houston I've only seen people being helped by these laws, not harmed. Poor people in addition to wealthy people are able to go into a store and get the supplies they need at the normal price. To date NOT ONE PERSON can be shown that has been hurt by these laws and all are grateful for their existence. A lot of stores are implementing quantity control in order to ensure everyone can get what they need. You seem to forget that in all of your posts.
Plenty. Google Paris Siege.

I have no agenda but to help the people better.

Nobody is helped by this moronic laws. Everybody is hurt by this. Humans by nature would die together in the name of fairness than allowing a few to live.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
The liberterian in me says allow price gouging. That is how free market needs to work, freely.

And also how hard is it really to fill up the tank BEFORE the storm comes. Or have one of those gas storage containers in the shed. Price gouging, good or bad? That is a minor issue to me. You got many people who simply don't do basic preparedness.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
They deny reality and facts in order to promote whatever cruel agenda they've cooked up. It seems they get off on making it difficult or impossible for people to recover from these disasters like this. It's really weird if you ask me. There's several of them on here doing it. Not one of them (especially lifeexplorer) is able to provide any evidence to back up what it is they're claiming.
Once again, science is not democratic and doesn't care your feelings.

Are you anti-science? This is not a disputed fact in economics - price control creates scarcity and scarcity hurts people, sometimes, kill people.

Does it really take a genius to figure that out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies