Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 01:39 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I get what you're saying - I really do. I understand that people simply couldn't imagine what was coming, but I'll say this. I don't live in a flood zone but there's a creek near my house. If the weather forecast was for 40 to 50 inches of rain in the next 72 hours, I'd get the hell outta Dodge.

Whatever happened to individuals making their own informed decisions? Is that a lost art now?

But back to the topic of price gauging - I think it's individually repulsive and I think in a disaster area it should be outlawed.
my nephew finally evacuated- the area flooded after it stopped raining- in a NON flood zone-- wifey ready to deliver- due the 10th - he did not want to try earlier because cars were running out of gas on the road full of a million cars trying to get out of dodge--with flash flooding and heavy rains--

you get that right?

PS the kids have money - grad form carnegie mellon and she's reg nurse- so able but plans did not go well

how does it go? we plans- God laughs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 01:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We suffer as a whole and many suffer more. For example, there's no gas around town. What's the incentive for others to ship us gas faster than they normally would? If I didn't gas up before the hurricane, I would be stranded at home.
The economic incentive is the normal profit from the sales that will produce.

And the desire for goodwill and human compassion. Emergency supplies and personnel aren't rushing to the region because the providers stand to make double profit but because of human compassion and empathy. Citizens didn't create an armada of rescue boats because they were making money, in fact their gas expenses weren't even covered. Everything is not solely based on "what's economically best for me" else there would be no such thing as donations of time, money, supplies, and blood.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_..._price_gouging

"Problems during the Siege of Paris (1870–1871), which critics attribute to price restrictions, are often held up as another example. With price gouging laws in place, producers are only able to charge a price set by law, and therefore have little additional incentive to increase supply to adversely impacted areas. If producers are able to make extra profit, these theorists argue, then they will increase the supply. It is claimed that these laws lead to after-market operations as consumers with the lowest opportunity costs buy up desired resources and attempt to resell them to public at higher prices."
This is your "data"? Critics attribute. Theorists argue. It is claimed. All this "wiki" represents is the rantings of the lunatic fringe like yourself.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Why is that a Airline ticket can cost 500 bucks during "peak season" or an NBA ticket to watch some Grizzlies cost few 100's and .01 % savings rate and 25% interest for CC loans??

Looks like supply&demand, market determination are only for corporation and not for some poor Hispanic corner store owner.

In Houston a lot of non flooded houses went up in price. Whats that called??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Uber rides are more during peak...darn gougers!
The difference is these are situations where you have a choice. I can choose to fly during peak season or choose to stay home because I can't afford it.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:09 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
What "before" and what is considered norm?
I said before the storm norm. What else do ya wanna know joe?

Old 09-02-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I have seen people drive to gas stations with canisters to put gasoline into as well as top off the truck... normal gas prices will encourage that behavior... high prices deter people from getting more than they need and allows OTHER PEOPLE to get what they need... If it cost $20/gallon, then I make sure to get enough to where I am going where prices are normal... Next disaster and prices are normal, are you going to complain that there wasn't enough for everyone? You can't have it both ways...
The place needs to be burned down for charging that much.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Which is true but $20/gal is blatant price gouging which is illegal.

That's gas station needs to be put on blast and boycotted until they're out of business.

Same for the Bestbuy that was charging $42 for a case of water once the storm hit.
Best buy needs to be put out of bizz as well.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How about this? The sign says $2 gas but there is no gas? You'd willingly pay $50 a gallon if you and your family were stranded with flood waters at the door sills.
Don't have a fam and would not be out on the road anyways in that mess jess to even have to buy gas.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:24 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Prices can change daily (sometimes more than once) with gasoline, there is no "going rate" other than what the street decides ( supply and demand).
There are exceptions. I understand from your posts that you are some kind of libertarian which kind I dont know, that whole spectrum is more complex than gender. If you were a patient that was brought to an emergency room you were in some kind of anaphylactic shock, at that point should the emergency room apply the same supply and demand theory? If you dont take a shot you might stop being able to breath but you are free to go to another hospital and pay less for an epipen, should the hospital be able to charge you more, because you would likely pay any amount of money you can get your hands on. That is why in general price controls exists when it comes to inelastic demand.

I would say this there is also another side to it, that gas station most likely wont be able to get replenished for obvious reasons, there should be some kind of mechanism that makes them whole

Old 09-02-2017, 02:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The economic incentive is the normal profit from the sales that will produce.

And the desire for goodwill and human compassion. Emergency supplies and personnel aren't rushing to the region because the providers stand to make double profit but because of human compassion and empathy. Citizens didn't create an armada of rescue boats because they were making money, in fact their gas expenses weren't even covered. Everything is not solely based on "what's economically best for me" else there would be no such thing as donations of time, money, supplies, and blood.
The normal incentives would result in normal speed which in turn causes suffering and dead in a disaster.

Not sure why it's so hard to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies