Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 07:51 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
As jaded as I am, I am still surprised that people can't accept elementary logic.

You are right, and they are wrong.
You can both be wrong together.

Try to focus.

Someone made a reference to "normal" gas prices. What was obvious to everyone is that they were referring to pre-Harvey prices, yet Frank repeatedly tried to turn this into some sort of academic debate about what constitutes "normal". He's being pedantic. You know it. I know. He knows it. Give it a rest.

The debate is whether on not price gouging is acceptable during disasters. I haven't taken a position on this issue, but I do have a problem with posters like Frank whose only goal is to derail the discussion.

I get your "logic", but its flawed. What's going on in Houston is not "normal", hence "normal" price fluctuations aren't part of this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 11:58 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You can both be wrong together.

Try to focus.

Someone made a reference to "normal" gas prices. What was obvious to everyone is that they were referring to pre-Harvey prices, yet Frank repeatedly tried to turn this into some sort of academic debate about what constitutes "normal". He's being pedantic. You know it. I know. He knows it. Give it a rest.

The debate is whether on not price gouging is acceptable during disasters. I haven't taken a position on this issue, but I do have a problem with posters like Frank whose only goal is to derail the discussion.

I get your "logic", but its flawed. What's going on in Houston is not "normal", hence "normal" price fluctuations aren't part of this discussion.
I would argue that they are "normal" because they are driven by natural forces, and that is what matters.

Something not "normal" would be more along the lines of an artificial manipulation of the supply or demand through regulation.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
To conservatives this type of price hike is perfectly acceptable. Apparently they only wish the wealthy to be able to procure the supplies necessary to survive a disaster. The rest can just do without and starve. They don't have the moral capacity to understand that price gouging like this during or after a disaster is wrong, illegal, and can be prosecuted with very large fines. I can only hope that the plaintiffs in this case will be over the age of 65. The fine after that point increases exponentially.

Don't worry, Trump will pardon the scumbags after their convictions for illegal price gouging. Because Scumbag Lives Matter. President Scumbag himself used the hurricane disaster to advertise his baseball caps that he sells on his campaign website for $40 each.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I would argue that they are "normal" because they are driven by natural forces, and that is what matters.

Something not "normal" would be more along the lines of an artificial manipulation of the supply or demand through regulation.
I understand (but don't agree with) the argument that since the price fluctuation was due to a natural disaster, one could consider said fluctuation to be normal, like any other market driven price change. However, a once-per-century event isn't "normal" by anyone's definition - regardless of whether or not it was a natural occurrence. I would argue "normal" in the context of this discuss would be the average price for gasoline in the 30 days prior to the event. Going from an average of $2.00 per gallon to $20.00 isn't normal by any definition of the word. It's not like the price prior to Harvey fluctuated daily from $.01 per gallon to $300 per gallon and happened to average $2.00 per gallon. I suspect the standard deviation hovers around +/- $0.10. You're arguing semantics here - and poorly.

Again, I haven't taken a position as to whether I agree that charging $20 per gallon is or isn't ethical, but I simply can't agree that a ten fold increase overnight falls within the realm of "normal"

Old 09-03-2017, 06:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
I understand (but don't agree with) the argument that since the price fluctuation was due to a natural disaster, one could consider said fluctuation to be normal, like any other market driven price change. However, a once-per-century event isn't "normal" by anyone's definition - regardless of whether or not it was a natural occurrence. I would argue "normal" in the context of this discuss would be the average price for gasoline in the 30 days prior to the event. Going from an average of $2.00 per gallon to $20.00 isn't normal by any definition of the word. It's not like the price prior to Harvey fluctuated daily from $.01 per gallon to $300 per gallon and happened to average $2.00 per gallon. I suspect the standard deviation hovers around +/- $0.10. You're arguing semantics here - and poorly.

Again, I haven't taken a position as to whether I agree that charging $20 per gallon is or isn't ethical, but I simply can't agree that a ten fold increase overnight falls within the realm of "normal"
So why at an abnormal time the price must remain "normal" under the threat of guns?

How is that in any way ethical, moral or just?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
so you must realize there is no "normal" gas price and are just mad for being called on it. Put me on ignore snowflake.
There was a normal gas price before the storm norm. Gas should have never been above 80 cents a gal and thanks to Bush2 and his failed wars prices went thru the roof. Same back in 1991 and Bush1 and his failed war when prices went to a insane $1.30+ a gal.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:54 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My point is, there isn't a normal price as you all are trying to claim. There is supply, demand and market competition that continually influence the pricing.
And if there is a station charging $20 per gallon based on those variables, then gas prices do fluctuate this much
if i am paying $2.60.. a gal then that is the going price- around the US- that's what they need to charge -- period-

they need to take the greedy suits off- or go broke and possibly get a fine or whatever the state deems

Old 09-03-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Just because you pass a law, it doesn't make the science wrong.

This law is political not scientific.
since WHEN have laws been passed on scientific results for gas prices? dang can't even get weed passed-- and science is good for it

Old 09-03-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So why at an abnormal time the price must remain "normal" under the threat of guns?

How is that in any way ethical, moral or just?
Like I said, I'm not condoning or condemning the situation - I just don't think $20 per gallon is "normal" by any definition of the word. Whether or not it's ethical, moral, or just is an entirely different discussion. Frankly, posters here have made good arguments for both sides of the debate. I'm still on the fence.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not condoning or condemning the situation - I just don't think $20 per gallon is "normal" by any definition of the word. Whether or not it's ethical, moral, or just is an entirely different discussion. Frankly, posters here have made good arguments for both sides of the debate. I'm still on the fence.
you would be unless you are there and it affects you- or anyone you know and it see how it hurts-- again most laws are made to help and protect people- for it to be science- there must be variables- comparables- in a flood zone - one gas station to choose from for miles of toxic waste.
the law must prevail to protect-- the mass- not just one station owner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies