Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 05:03 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its sad that people do things to profit off of a disaster like hurricane harvey
That's the beauty of capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:05 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And for the record, you're politically aligned with _____?
With no one. I never voted in my life and think both sides are complete worthless morons. I think the world should be ruled by one person. If i were to rule the world there would be big changes.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:06 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I get what you're saying - I really do. I understand that people simply couldn't imagine what was coming, but I'll say this. I don't live in a flood zone but there's a creek near my house. If the weather forecast was for 40 to 50 inches of rain in the next 72 hours, I'd get the hell outta Dodge.

Whatever happened to individuals making their own informed decisions? Is that a lost art now?

But back to the topic of price gauging - I think it's individually repulsive and I think in a disaster area it should be outlawed.

Let me tell you my "creek story" I have a creek about 20 feet away from my back door. If I step outside, I can hear the rushing water when it rains, otherwise, it pretty much remains stagnant or slow moving. I have renters insurance. Because I live near the creek and we get a lot of rain, the insurance company did a thorough evaluation of the creek and how likely it would be for it to flood my home. My place is on a deck about 6 feet high from the ground. (I just found out I do not have flood insurance). I am not considered in a flood zone. My choice to get it, I hope.

About 6 months ago, the weather called for a massive amount of rain. I worried about the creek. It rained so much the creek overflowed. The night before, because I was worried, I moved my car out of the driveway because I feared the rushing water from down the hill, combined with the creek would flood my car. I moved my car to the front yard on the grass (dumb idea) instead of at the top of the hill (worried someone would mess with my car) So, when the rain was over, I tried to move the car. It was stuck in the mud. It took 2 bags of cat litter, rocks from the hill, plank board and 2 neighbors to get my car out of the mud on the grass. (I later found out I could have called my AAA) but it was done and over by then.

Moral of my story: Never park on the grass!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
With no one. I never voted in my life and think both sides are complete worthless morons. I think the world should be ruled by one person. If i were to rule the world there would be big changes.
So I guess you are a Mao, Hitler or Stalin?

Frank was right.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
So I guess you are a Mao, Hitler or Stalin?

Frank was right.
I would pretty much be like Hitler and clean the world up. You do the crime you are gonna pay. Gang bangers would be gone. No more free rides clyde. I would empty out all jails and make the planet a much better place to live. Our country would take over the world and take over all the oil fields. The way things are going now there is not much time left.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I would pretty much be like Hitler and clean the world up. You do the crime you are gonna pay. Gang bangers would be gone. No more free rides clyde. I would empty out all jails and make the planet a much better place to live. Our country would take over the world and take over all the oil fields. The way things are going now there is not much time left.
Suddenly I'm not the scariest person on this board with all my talk of non-aggression and respect for private property rights.

For that much, I thank you.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Suddenly I'm not the scariest person on this board with all my talk of non-aggression and respect for private property rights.

For that much, I thank you.
I just tell it like it is. Things have gone down hill so much since Bush2 and Obamabutt was in office. We don't have much time left unless we make some big changes.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
If gas remained at the lower price you'd see people filling up all their cars as well as spare gas containers, even if they weren't going anywhere. It's the 'just in case' mentality that makes people hoard.

When prices go up like this, the supply is less likely to be depleted by a few, so there will be enough for the masses.

It's a tough concept to grasp but Economists have explained it and I wish people would do some reading on the subject.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
I was around then when gas was cheap and life was much better.
I know, right? But don't you worry, Bob Mueller is going to Make America Great Again!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If gas remained at the lower price you'd see people filling up all their cars as well as spare gas containers, even if they weren't going anywhere. It's the 'just in case' mentality that makes people hoard.

When prices go up like this, the supply is less likely to be depleted by a few, so there will be enough for the masses.

It's a tough concept to grasp but Economists have explained it and I wish people would do some reading on the subject.
Capitalism is evil to most on this board. Supply and demand must be regulated to suit "feelings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies