Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 08:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The cover of Time magazine, dated June 24, 1974, was titled "Another Ice Age?"

And a Newsweek article, dated April 28, 1975, was titled "The Cooling World."
And GW denial nuts like to extrapolate that into an ice age hysteria that never happened.

Maybe you're too young to have clear memories of the 70s.

Any ice age talk was remote background stuff. Nothing like today's GW issue.

But keep clinging to it if it helps you make it through the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm not sure why you - or Rush - think that reporting on these storms is hype. 185-mph winds are not just a strong breeze, and since people are dying - well, it's definitely the end of the world for them. Frankly, I'd like to know if something like that is heading to my vicinity. But I live in the land of volcanoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis, which are not all that predictable. If they were, I'd sure like to have plenty of advance warning.
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about what "I" thought about storm coverage, just the apparently false ginned up rage about something Limbaugh didn't exactly say...

Old 09-09-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And GW denial nuts like to extrapolate that into an ice age hysteria that never happened.

Remember that back in the '70s we didn't have social media and the internet access like we do today. If what we have today was available back then I'd bet the "ice age" would've been way more than "remote background stuff". Also you have to factor in the enviro-scare profit centers that exist now that didn't exist then.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Back in the '70s most of the doom and gloom predictions were based on the "population time bomb" theory. That one hasn't panned out...yet. I'm a hardcore skeptic about most things but when it comes to global warming seein' is believin'.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by sockruhtese

Darn, wish the idiot would have refused to evacuate, as any 'die-hard climate change denier' would have!

What a chicken-s**t hypocrite!

Rush needs to go up to the hurricane and tell Irma that she's a figment of liberals imagination.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Back in the '70s most of the doom and gloom predictions were based on the "population time bomb" theory. That one hasn't panned out...yet. I'm a hardcore skeptic about most things but when it comes to global warming seein' is believin'.
But is it "human caused"?

Old 09-09-2017, 08:46 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But is it "human caused"?
The high percentage of climatologists, meteorologists, oceanographers, botanists, biologists, etc., that believe it is gives the theory a lot of credibility.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Really? I remember seeing covers similar to that. Maybe they were "faked" back then?

I don't listen to "hate radio" (whatever that is). Oh, it's it's any kind of radio show which liberals don't agree with!

Where did I deny global warming (now called "climate change?").
Back in the 60's and 70's I think that everyone was expecting a cool down based upon the known cycle and probability. I can recall reading on it and wondering about longer colder winters and that sort of thing (I dislike winter for the most part). It hasn't played out thus far.

If a geyser goes off once a minute on average, then it doesn't, there must be a reason. Maybe we will never know the reason. Something shifts underneath, or there is a drought somewhere, who knows?

If a volcano blows its stack about every 42 to 45 years on average, then it is late ten years, one would expect an imminent blow-out any day. If it doesn't, something has changed below the surface and I am sure a lot of anxious people would like to know what or why.

Science is an ongoing learning experience. Back in the 1970's we were only starting to hear peeps of this global warming idea amidst all of the other noise in the news at the time. Most of us (including me for sure) did not understand nor accept the idea that global warming was a problem. I was dismissive about it for decades myself.

In other words, if you have a global cooling off every 'X' number of centuries and 'X' number of centuries are coming up, it would seem reasonable to expect things to start getting colder +/- so many years or decades. Continued warming would not be expected and writers, who like to get paid, would write about these things.

However, the expected has not happened, so something could be in play that was not anticipated at the time. I think the accumulation of data is pretty clear the the temperatures on average are rising and it correlates with the massing of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Once the gas gets out there it has a continuing affect for many many decades and is not easily reversed.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-10-2017 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
For those of you whom wish to read exactly what Rush said, here is a link (which I originally provided in the competing Rush thread) to Rush's website, with a written transcript (or, you may listen):

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...ne-irma-panic/

Old 09-09-2017, 09:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rush wasnt saying that irma itself was a liberal conspiracy, but rather the panic they induce when these storms are first noted and tracked.

the media creates a panic situation, and the people go out and buy up all the bottled water they can get their hands on, despite the fact they already have a clean source of pre hurricane water they can tap into. its right at their own faucets. they can fill up empty bottles of water and store that and not have to go to the store and hope that there is water left on the shelves.

same with building supplies like plywood, 2x4s, etc.

because once the media starts pushing the panic button, the businesses in the area start pushing the advertising to sell every bit of product they have.

and that is where the conspiracy is. pushing the panic button several days out without knowing the true track of the storms in question.

and while preparation is a good thing, panicked preparation isnt.
Of course none of those who dislike Rush ever listen to his show, or go on his website to read the transcripts of what he actually said.

Same silliness when they claimed Rush said no one needed water! He said that anyone could turn on their faucets and fill up bottles or fill up their bathtub with water - - in order words, he was telling people they didn't need to rush out and stand in long lines to buy bottled water.

But again, the Twist and Shout liberals are having more fun Twisting his words and Shouting lies. Why would they do that? Because the truth is boring to them and it's more entertaining to spout lies and fake news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies