Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've been saying the MSM has been more opinion and hype than actual hard news wayyy before our current leader ever hit the scene.
Sorry to blow your attempt at sarcasm and insult...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:31 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, nobody has the presence of mind to go buy some empty water containers knowing there's going to be a bottled water shortage as there is in EVERY emergency or instead start filling up whatever containers they do have with tap water is bad advice?
Geeze man - THINK. If everybody did that, there would be empty shelves in the stores where empty bottles used to be, and then everybody would be complaining before a hurricane that the stores were out of empty bottles, and Rush Limbaugh would come out whining about "Why don't people do [insert complaint here] instead of trying to buy empty bottles?" and saying it was some sort of liberal conspiracy.

Your solution does nothing but replace "Stores are out of bottled water" with "Stores are out of empty bottles." It solves nothing.

Quote:
The point is, instead of running out in a panic to buy bottled water look to use the resources you already have, most people nowadays don't look farther than their nose. They want and look for "convenience" aka easy, aka lazy.

Before you ask, yes, I have (4) empty 20 gallon food grade water containers plus a few 10 gallon water bottles sitting in my garage and I don't live in a disaster area.
I know several people (Mormon friends) who have a couple 100 gallon food grade totes sitting in their side yards.
Good for you, but you can't expect everybody to do that. Some people don't have a lot of storage in their house, especially if they live in an apartment. Also, big hurricanes only come around once in a while so there's no real need to prepare for something that only happens every few years, at the fastest.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Geeze man - THINK. If everybody did that, there would be empty shelves in the stores where empty bottles used to be, and then everybody would be complaining before a hurricane that the stores were out of empty bottles, and Rush Limbaugh would come out whining about "Why don't people do [insert complaint here] instead of trying to buy empty bottles?" and saying it was some sort of liberal conspiracy.

Your solution does nothing but replace "Stores are out of bottled water" with "Stores are out of empty bottles." It solves nothing.

Good for you, but you can't expect everybody to do that. Some people don't have a lot of storage in their house, especially if they live in an apartment. Also, big hurricanes only come around once in a while so there's no real need to prepare for something that only happens every few years, at the fastest.
And this kind of thinking is why people die when they could very well live through it.<bold>
You know that odds are a storm will eventually come and you know it could very well be a bad one, one that can kill you,or make you die slowly due to lack of water/food or, at the very least make life hell for quite a while and yet the answer is "well, there's no real need to prepare as it only happens every few years"?
Well then I guess the answer is there's no real urgency for any Federal emergency response to the area right? I mean if you aren't very concerned why should anyone else be?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
I mean if you aren't very concerned why should anyone else be?
Tell that to Rush Limbaugh!

I agree it's a good idea to have at least some preparation for something like that, but again, you can't expect everybody to be prepared to the hilt for something that only happens once in a while.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Tell that to Rush Limbaugh!

I agree it's a good idea to have at least some preparation for something like that, but again, you can't expect everybody to be prepared to the hilt for something that only happens once in a while.
It's not being "prepared to the hilt" to suggest instead of running to the store fighting for bottled water to fill up some containers from your own tap first as the water is usually the same product.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
I've been saying the MSM has been more opinion and hype than actual hard news wayyy before our current leader ever hit the scene.
Of course you have.

Because hate radio/Fox News has been telling you to say that for decades.
Quote:
Sorry to blow your attempt at sarcasm and insult...
No apology necessary.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
...as Rush Limbaugh scurries to his private jet for lands of safety
You mean "as Rush Limbaugh scurries to his private jet for lands of easy access to oxycodone"

Old 09-07-2017, 12:14 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Okay Mr. President, what would YOU do? C'mon, you're quick to criticize what would be your plan?
Do you even read the posts you comment on?

The person I criticized was Crazy Rush Limbaugh and his ridiculous conspiracies.

Everyone else, including the governor is doing their jobs.

What would I do if I were Trump? I'd act like I cared about my neighbors who are about to get hit with a Cat 5 storm and do not have a private jet at their beck and call in order to avoid the disaster. Didn't even say a word until today. And it is hardly moral support. He quite obviously couldn't give a crap that his neighbors and neighborhood are about to be destroyed. He's actually quite useless. Sad!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:

If you read through the hurricane threads in the Florida section, you'll find out a lot of people are already doing that and similar things (such as filling up their bathtubs with water beforehand). But just because people can do that, does not mean that also buying bottled water is a bad thing; after all, unless you happen to have a large store of empty bottles in your house, you might as well go ahead and buy bottled water anyway, if you can.

He basically used the event to make a political point (where none exists) about bottled water. He tried to make bottled water out to be some liberal conspiracy, when you can be sure that as many conservatives buy bottled water as do liberals. It's a convenience.
I have a pretty good idea what people in the projected landfall area are doing right now. We were doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago for Harvey.

As to your second paragraph, to call it a gross mischaracterization of what Limbaugh said would probably be too charitable.

It's not a political point, but an economic one, that consumers of all political stripes willingly pay $10.00/gallon for bottled water, but most of these same people are reduced to petulant, sniveling whiners at the prospect of paying $2.50/gallon for gasoline. That fact, Limbaugh asserted, should tick the "oil guys" off to no end. (It doesn't, of course; we just find it to be highly amusing.)

I also don't recall the phrase "liberal conspiracy" being used in that segment to describe the bottled water industry, and I'm fairly certain there was no demographic comparison between liberal and conservative purchasers of bottled water. Both of these assertions appear to be works of complete fiction, as far as I can tell.

Here's the point he was making: There is little to no bottled water to be had in South Florida right now. (The same was true in the week before Harvey struck the Texas coast.) It's probably a waste of time, energy and resources trying to find bottled water at this point, unless you happen to be a bottled water wholesaler (but if you are, your warehouse is probably utterly devoid of bottled water at this point, of course.)

Most people have a water tap in their houses, however, and the best time to put that resource to use would be to fill some containers before the storm strikes, while one still has water service. (I'm sure many in Florida are filling every container they can find right now, probably because they spent 1.5 days, made 11 stops and burned half a tank of gas only to find that there isn't a case of bottled water within 100 miles of Miami.)

This option, given the emergency at hand, would be more convenient, cheaper and less resource-intensive. It would also take care of a primary item on the hurricane preparedness checklist.

It was good, solid advice, yet we have vast numbers of people bent on misunderstanding or mischaracterizing it, apparently to further some questionable political angle on their part.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You mean "as Rush Limbaugh scurries to his private jet for lands of easy access to oxycodone"
Well, that would be Florida, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies