Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 01:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I'm laughing at the idea that everyone's dogs and cats are "enslaved" by their owners. Dramatic much?
Yeah, slavery implies being forced to work. I guess the argument can be made that K-9 units, service dogs, and other work dogs are sort of "enslaved" but household pets? They get to chill all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 02:05 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
I'm laughing at the idea that everyone's dogs and cats are "enslaved" by their owners. Dramatic much?
Really. Oh, please, in my next lifetime let me come back as a house cat "slave." I really need to catch up on all the sleep my insomnia has deprived me of in this lifetime as the slave master.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Some states have absurdly lax laws regulating these breeding factories. Pennsylvania is one of the worst. And some of the worst offenders are Amish farmers in the Lancaster County area.
Missouri is bad. It's just about ground zero for puppy mills and dog auctions.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:26 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What do you think ? Good idea or bad ?

---
California may soon become the first state to require all stores that sell dogs, cats and rabbits to offer adoptable pets from shelters and nonprofit rescue groups instead of through breeders or puppy mills, thanks to a landmark bill adopted by state lawmakers.

Assembly Bill 485, the Pet Rescue and Adoption Act, authored by Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell, D-Long Beach, is now on its way to the governor’s desk for signage. The California Assembly passed the bill in June and the Senate voted unanimously on its passage this week.

O’Donnell, whose family has two rescue dogs, said the issue “is very personal†to him.

California pet stores may be required to only sell rescue animals if this bill passes – Daily News
This has to be a bi-partisan issue. YES YES YES.

Not a huge animal person. I had a dog for a bit and loved him to bits....but they have to be rescues..puppy mills have to go NOW.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Dear mods,

How honest can I be about my opinion of the "pets are slaves" contributor without getting an infraction?

Old 09-16-2017, 03:48 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
I think I might enslave a Siamese cat next. It's grown tiresome enslaving beagles and labs all these years. They do a nice job in the diamond mines although the beagles aren't as good with a pickax.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
That's not a very eco conscious way to look at it. If you are trying to approach this from a perspective of what is in the best interest of the animal, you are missing the mark because releasing them into the wild would not be in the best interests of the myriad species of wild animals that would be critically affected by such action. There are competing interests at play here. It's neither a pragmatic nor a humane thing to do. You say nature will eventually fix it. At what price? Why should that be a human's choice to make?
The best way you can do for an animal is to let it live the life they want to live!

Stop being an arrogant human and stop thinking you know what's good for the animals! You don't.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Pets are actually worse than slaves. There were laws in place preventing slave owners from killing their slaves at will. No such law exists protecting animals.

I am not aware any slave owner would proactively cut off their slaves' genitals. Do you know such an event?

There is an industry dedicated to mutilate pets to your liking!

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 09-16-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, slavery implies being forced to work. I guess the argument can be made that K-9 units, service dogs, and other work dogs are sort of "enslaved" but household pets? They get to chill all the time.
Incorrect. Lots slaves were kept as pets. Also, pleasing you is not work?

You hold your pets against their will.

You are called pet OWNER because what? Because pets are your property just like slaves.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The best way you can do for an animal is to let it live the life they want to live!

Stop being an arrogant human and stop thinking you know what's good for the animals! You don't.
We certainly do know what's best for the animals. Decades and decades of research gives us that. When the brown snake was introduced to Guam, it completely extirpated all the native bird species on that island. There are now no birds on Guam. It's safe to say we know it was best for the birds of Guam that the brown snake was never allowed to propagate on that island.

I think you need to quit being a bleeding heart and defer to scientists, conservationists and ecologists who actually know what they're talking about. Two wrongs do not make a right. As someone who claims to be so pro-animal you certainly seem to struggle to see the bigger picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies