Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I bought my pug and my Frenchie from pet stores and they are great, I don't see what the problem is...
Out of curiosity, why did you buy your dogs from a pet store versus a reputable breeder?

If the answer is cost, then your dogs are from puppy mills. You might have lucked out and not gotten dogs that were sick, but that's no excuse for the terrible conditions they were likely born into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Funny, and Iĺl get a lot of crap for this but...I think it should be the opposite. I think you should only be able to get your pet from a reputable in-home breeder and have to pay upwards of a thousand bucks or more for it. Not pet stores or pounds.

Shelter dogs have usually either been abused or are runners, unable to house train, biters, etc. Little Johnny or bored old Alice can run down on a whim and pick one up for peanuts. When they get sick of it, or itś bad behavior they can and often do get rid of it.

When you put down a deposit, wait for months, prepare for an animal from a breeder you are much more likely to treat it like family. Itś like being pregnant. By the time you get it, you have already invested time, money and emotion. You have waited for a long time, and love it before you get it. You also have a contract that you and the breeder sign. Itś called responsibility on both sides.

Most reputable breeders (who should always be screened and have licenses) will ask you to give them back the animal if you are not happy with it or need to get rid of it for any reason. They are responsible for the animals well being long after the purchase.

I would suggest getting rid of animal purchases that are cheap, easy, and likely short-lived. Sure, there are some that go the distance but way more do not. The dogs and cats end up on a revolving door journey. I think if people had to pay over a thousand for a pet and wait for it, it would cut down on so much abuse and neglect and also, weed out unsavory pet owners.

I think we should weed out pet owners who can not afford a pet, nor have the patience. That would do more to cut down on the stray pet population then forcing people to buy neglected, stray animals.

Iĺl let the crap fly now.....lol
While I think there is something to your argument that people value expensive pets more than cheap ones, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you assessment of rescue dogs. There are some wonderful, amazing dogs out there that end up in rescue. I've had 6 dogs in my adult life. 2 came from breeders and 4 rescues/shelters. With the exception of one dog who had lived in a puppy mill for her first 3 years, there saws no difference between training the dogs. The puppy mill dog did need extra patience and care, but I knew that going into it and she was one of the sweetest dogs I will ever have. You do the vast majority of rescues a disservice by labeling them damaged goods.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Right. Millions of abandoned cats and dogs running around trying to stay one step ahead of starvation. Now there's a thoughtful and compassionate solution.
Do animals not belong to the wild?

Millions of animals die in the wild everyday. Where's your pesudo companion?

Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
They should work on shutting down puppy mills instead. I'm also not sure why it's okay to sell dogs at pet stores anyhow.

Otherwise, these "puppy mill" dogs will become "rescues" and the whole point of the law is circumvented.
This is what has happened in my area. The local pet store has puppies from "unwanted" litters that the sell for $1000 or more. They are all teddy bears and super trendy mixes, clearly puppy mill or backyard breeder dogs where it is unlikely that the parents have had any health testing prior to being bred and there is absolutely no way to see if the parents are well cared for.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
What? purebred dogs and cats are weak and inbred. You like this? Pathetic, sick.
ITYM, "purebred animals from mass breeders are weak and inbred." Reputable, registered breeders produce fine animals. Eliminating the inferior puppy mills is what this bill, and others like it, are meant the encourage.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
I dissent from this proposal. While I support the rational behind the move, I cannot go along with the continuing efforts by the state to limit choice in this regard. In my view, I should be able to buy whatever dog I want. Note, I have a cat and I got him off the streets, literally (I had him since he was a few days old . . . he was found next to his dead mother's body after hit/killed by car. I took him in, got shots, etc.). The bill wouldn't personally affect me as I would already practice what the bill seeks to accomplish, but that doesn't make me like the bill any more.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
[quote=lifeexplorer;49536392]Do animals not belong to the wild?

Millions of animals die in the wild everyday. Where's your pesudo companion?[/quote]
Right next to me. Happy, healthy, and purring like an evinrude.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you buy your dogs from a pet store versus a reputable breeder?

If the answer is cost, then your dogs are from puppy mills. You might have lucked out and not gotten dogs that were sick, but that's no excuse for the terrible conditions they were likely born into.
Mainly convenience, the nearest reputable breeder for our dogs is in California, and I didn't want to have to travel to another state to buy our dogs, considering I work constantly and can't afford to take time off.

And it wasn't cost. Our French cost $5,500, but then again, we got him at 9 weeks old, he had just finished weening. Our pug was only $800, but he was 5 months old when we got him. They have had no health problems, and we've had the pug since 8/2014 and the French since 9/2015. They are my fiance and mine's family

Old 09-16-2017, 10:32 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that little dogs - toys - tend to get snapped up quickly at shelters. They are not always so easy to find, at least at the shelters I have visited.

I have two dogs now, and I consider them both to be rescues, although not in the usual sense of the word. My Chihuahua was given to me by a former landlady who was what I would consider a hobby breeder. She was no expert, but her dogs were kept in her house as pets, were well-fed and cared for, etc. She had a dog that she had gotten from out-of-state as a puppy, and when the dog turned out to be "leggier" than she wanted, she gave her to me, to save the expense of shipping her back to the breeder. If I had not taken her, I suspect she would have gone to a shelter. Chihuahuas have never been my favorite breed, and still are not, but Lily is an exception. She loves everyone, and is actually no more inclined to bark than any other dog I have ever had.

My other dog is a black and white Pomeranian my housemate got for me in February. A much-loved dog I had for 14 years had died in December, and I had been looking for another small dog for months. I had actually started this search before I lost my other dog, as I wanted Lily to have a playmate closer to her own age. Came really close at the shelter once, because they had some Chi mixes from a puppy mill. Unfortunately, they were so badly traumatized that I was afraid to bring them home to my other pets, and the shelter people were also afraid of this. Oddly enough, I found this little guy on craigslist, the one place I never would have thought of. Turns out his first owner turned him over to a rescue, where he was adopted by an older lady who had to give him up for health reasons. I have no idea why she didn't return him to the rescue, but she didn't, and he ended up with a family who already had a dog, and the two didn't get on well. So...there he was, on craigslist. He's a doll, and the family had documentation to back up their claims about his history. Not the usual rescue story, but the end result is the same - a dog with a forever home, at last. I am in no way suggesting that people get pets from craigslist (at least not without exercising EXTREME caution), it's an absolute cesspool, but it did work out this time.

I would still always start my search at a shelter, when looking for a new dog.
Same here. But almost all of the shelter dogs are pit bulls, pit bull mixes, or chihuahuas. I'm allergic to both breeds, I don't appreciate chihuahuas' temperament, and we rent studios, so a pit wouldn't have enough room to run around other than on walks. Plus, most apartments ban pit bulls in my experience.

I got my yorkipoo from a reputable breeder though, not a pet store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Right next to me. Happy, healthy, and purring like an evinrude.
You mean as a slave.

Animals belong in the wild not enslaved as human pets.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies