Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,599,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think NYC has a similar law that people are fighting. I'm for free market choice.
So, you enjoy puppiemills? That's pretty sick.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 09-16-2017 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It wouldn't. Responsible breeders do not sell their puppies to pet stores, anyway - they are very choosy about who gets their dogs. Healthy, well-bred purebred dogs are great, but I would not go to a pet store to get one.
I bought my pug and my Frenchie from pet stores and they are great, I don't see what the problem is...

Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,599,501 times
Do the right thing. Get a mutt off the street or a shelter rescue. Do the right thing people!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:29 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Do the right thing. Get a mutt off the street or a shelter rescue. Do the right thing people!
I'd have loved to, but both my husband and I are allergic to most breeds. We had to get only breeds that didn't shed, which are almost never in shelters.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:47 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What do you think ? Good idea or bad ?

---
California may soon become the first state to require all stores that sell dogs, cats and rabbits to offer adoptable pets from shelters and nonprofit rescue groups instead of through breeders or puppy mills, thanks to a landmark bill adopted by state lawmakers.

Assembly Bill 485, the Pet Rescue and Adoption Act, authored by Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell, D-Long Beach, is now on its way to the governor’s desk for signage. The California Assembly passed the bill in June and the Senate voted unanimously on its passage this week.

O’Donnell, whose family has two rescue dogs, said the issue “is very personal” to him.

California pet stores may be required to only sell rescue animals if this bill passes – Daily News
I have absolutely no problem with this from the side of animal care. It will cut out the repulsive backyard breeder and cut down on overpopulation of pets.

I do have a problem with it in regards to government telling a business what to do.

Having rescued many animals myself over the years, the former is winning out over the latter.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:06 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
All of the dogs I've ever had have been rescue mutts. Currently have two. I'd never have anything else. And now both my adult kids have rescue mutts, too.

That said... 3 things... Too many pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills. If you absolutely have to have a purebred, buy from a responsible breeder. OR, like another poster mentioned, many breeds have their own rescue organizations and you can adopt a purebred that needs a home.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:47 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
It's long overdue and I wish other states would follow. Having millions of healthy, loving dogs (and cats too) killed every year only because there aren't homes for them is not only disgusting but a national embarrassment. All pet stores that sell pure bred dogs get them from puppymills. There's no where else they can get them. Responsible breeders would never sell their puppies to a pet store to resell them and backyard breeders sell their puppies directly to the public without a middle man. Don't make the mistake of confusing backyard breeders with puppymills. Backyard breeders do not own dozens of dogs whose sole purpose is to produce puppies.
The adult dogs used to breed and produce puppies live in small cages with very little human contact often in poor health. When they can't be used any longer for breeding they are usually killed. The lucky ones are sold to breed specific rescues who can afford to buy them. These dogs are not socialized are fearful and have no idea what grass under their feet feels like. It's a horrible industry and you don't need to be an animal lover to find it repulsive.

Last edited by marino760; 09-16-2017 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 05:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
What? purebred dogs and cats are weak and inbred. You like this? Pathetic, sick.
That's an over-generalization. There are healthy purebreds, as well as those that are not. It depends on the breeder.

Quote:
Not all rescues are mutts. I love mutts - hell, I love dogs and cats, period - but you would be surprised at how many purebred animals end up at shelters or at breed rescues. They are usually dogs that were purchased from a pet store or a backyard breeder. Good dog breeders generally insist that if you cannot keep one of their puppies, you return it to them; their interest in the animal lasts all its life.

Disclaimer: no, I am not a dog breeder, and I would love to see every shelter animal on the planet get adopted, but there are pros and cons to both pure-breds and mutts. No reason to do away with breeders who actually care about their animals; it's the puppy mills that should be put out of business.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:43 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's an over-generalization. There are healthy purebreds, as well as those that are not. It depends on the breeder.

Not all rescues are mutts. I love mutts - hell, I love dogs and cats, period - but you would be surprised at how many purebred animals end up at shelters or at breed rescues. They are usually dogs that were purchased from a pet store or a backyard breeder. Good dog breeders generally insist that if you cannot keep one of their puppies, you return it to them; their interest in the animal lasts all its life.

Disclaimer: no, I am not a dog breeder, and I would love to see every shelter animal on the planet get adopted, but there are pros and cons to both pure-breds and mutts. No reason to do away with breeders who actually care about their animals; it's the puppy mills that should be put out of business.
True, many people would be surprised at the number of purebreds at shelters and available from breed specific rescues. Many people buy a purebred puppy only to discover they don't have time for it, it's too much to handle, or they just don't want to spend the money if the puppy ends up with a health issue. Some people give up their dog only because they are having a baby and don't have time for a baby and a dog. Puppies grow up quickly and lose their original cuteness.
BTW, shelters don't care if a dog is purebred or not. They are killed just the same. They don't discriminate.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
True, many people would be surprised at the number of purebreds at shelters and available from breed specific rescues.
Being very familiar with Chicago's ASPCA because I've adopted several rescue mutts from them, the purebred dogs they have the most of and are trying to find homes for are pit bulls. And many are ticked off as "not for families with small children or other pets." The Chicago ASPCA conducts an extensive pre-adoption interview, and everyone in the potential adoptive household must be present.

Quote:
Many people buy a purebred puppy only to discover they don't have time for it, it's too much to handle, or they just don't want to spend the money if the puppy ends up with a health issue. Some people give up their dog only because they are having a baby and don't have time for a baby and a dog. Puppies grow up quickly and lose their original cuteness.
BTW, shelters don't care if a dog is purebred or not. They are killed just the same. They don't discriminate.
Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies