Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You need to give them time to adjust data.
Somebody needs to hurry up and blow some heat towards those climate data test sites

Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
Fear mongering climate alarmists agree on a hypothesis. Deniers are a more diverse group. Some having interests in industry. Others have a more scientific basis.

I'm rather moderate. Yes, we absolutely need to take great care of our planet. Reducing future population growth would help. Keeping more carbon in the soil would help. Sensible and efficient development worldwide would help. Recycling of some objects helps. Changing packaging would help. Encouraging lower tech living would help. Take your pick.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
The science is never settled but there isn't much in the way to suggest that humans aren't affecting the climate, we can only argue about the extent until something actually comes to suggest otherwise.
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually you have it in reverse....Climate science is based on evidence. Denial of that science is based on faith (Belief without evidence) which makes people who deny science cult like.... It is the denial movement (based mainly in the USA) that are politicizing the science.
your problem though is that as others have noted, the climate models are rubbish, and way overstate the future effects on the climate. even the ones that created the models have admitted this.

there is also evidence that the warming stopped in 1998, will you accept that? here is another issue that has been brought up, and that is the constant moving of thermometers. you can never get proper averages if you constantly move the measuring instruments.

one more question that you have NEVER answered, of course you can never anwer it if you are honest, but what it the proper temperature of the earths climate supposed to be? in reality you cant answer that question because there is no way to know what the temperature is supposed to be.

as for your claim that climate science is based on evidence, wrong. it is based more on the interpretation of the evidence by those with a political agenda. i am betting that you never watched those videos i posted, and made your comments based on your bias.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Nothing advances science more than those who are skeptical of its findings.
Yes. There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see. Science teaches not to eat where we poop. Only some people will believe this.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Yes. There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see. Science teaches not to eat where we poop. Only some people will believe this.
you are right, the problem though is the alarmists wont see, or let us see, ALL the science behind climate change. we are not being told the whole story by anyone. for the last two million years we have been in fact in an ice age, with periods of glaciation and periods of inter glaciation. these are consistent periods based on the findings of geologists around the world. we are only 12-15,000 years out of the last period of glaciation, so naturally the earth is going to warm up, did you really think it wouldnt?

another thing to note is that it is about ten degrees cooler than at this point in the last inter glacial period. this indicates to me that this is still a natural cycle. this isnt to say that man cant have an effect on the climate, but it is the height of arrogance to suggest that man can truly have a major effect on the climate like the alarmists are suggesting.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
...it is the height of arrogance to suggest that man can truly have a major effect on the climate like the alarmists are suggesting.
LOL, as he types this yet another Cat 5 hurricane bears down on the Caribbean, right on the heels of Harvey (50+ inches of rain in Texas, unprecedented) and Irma (first time the US has seen back-to-back Cat 4's, and Irma set a record for longest sustained 180+ mph winds).

Human-induced climate change is doing a triple face-slap to North America. These severe hurricanes are all fed by hot oceans warmed by CO2 emitted by human activity. It isn't alarmism. The models don't matter. It's actual facts on the ground, right here, right now.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:14 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Scientists are the calmest and most rational and logical people I know. Also extremely intelligent.

I do not know why they are called alarmists, and I don't see how they've changed their minds.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

Global Warming Science | Union of Concerned Scientists

Scientists Agree: Global Warming is Happening. Humans are the Primary Cause | Union of Concerned Scientists

https://www.skepticalscience.com/glo...-consensus.htm

Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
agreed.

your problem though is that as others have noted, the climate models are rubbish, and way overstate the future effects on the climate. even the ones that created the models have admitted this.
The first climate model was created 50 years ago and predicted global warming almost perfectly. https://celebrating200years.noaa.gov...l/welcome.html

Quote:
there is also evidence that the warming stopped in 1998, will you accept that? here is another issue that has been brought up, and that is the constant moving of thermometers. you can never get proper averages if you constantly move the measuring instruments.
Nonsense, globally 2016 was the third year in a row as the warmest year on record.

Quote:
one more question that you have NEVER answered, of course you can never anwer it if you are honest, but what it the proper temperature of the earths climate supposed to be? in reality you cant answer that question because there is no way to know what the temperature is supposed to be.
You are correct, as there is no "correct" temperature for the earth. I do know that in 2016 the earth was 1.78F higher than the mid 20th century mean and 16 of the 17 warmest years on record have occured since 2001.

Quote:
as for your claim that climate science is based on evidence, wrong. it is based more on the interpretation of the evidence by those with a political agenda. i am betting that you never watched those videos i posted, and made your comments based on your bias.
No I did not watch those long videos, as I know both of the people that produced them by reputation...Life is too short to waste it on such nonsense....Regarding bias...I just follow the science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denialism

https://sites.google.com/site/skepti...lism1final.jpg

Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
If it concerns you, go ahead and make some lifestyle changes to reduce your carbon footprint. I'm not concerned, so I'll carry on.
I find that arrogant but not surprising.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:30 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
LOL, as he types this yet another Cat 5 hurricane bears down on the Caribbean, right on the heels of Harvey (50+ inches of rain in Texas, unprecedented) and Irma (first time the US has seen back-to-back Cat 4's, and Irma set a record for longest sustained 180+ mph winds).

Human-induced climate change is doing a triple face-slap to North America. These severe hurricanes are all fed by hot oceans warmed by CO2 emitted by human activity. It isn't alarmism. The models don't matter. It's actual facts on the ground, right here, right now.
Yea, and he also said that warming has ceased since 1998, even though the previous few years have each broken the record (of the year previous to it) of the highest average temperature.

I don't think you'll ever reach the paranoid, delusional Alex Jones crowd. Unfortunately for the world, Donald Trump falls into this category. Once again Republicans drag this country, and by extension the world, down with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies