Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:14 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

"Educated Liberal"

It's a contradiction in terms.

/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My ancestors are mostly from Texas and every sermon ended with "you will burn in hell for all eternity if you sin!" Sin included everything from dancing to creating lust in someone else's heart. It's a very disturbing culture in the middle and southern states. They can have it.
Of the dozens of churches I've attended in Texas, I've never heard that once.

Can you name any of these churches?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of the dozens of churches I've attended in Texas, I've never heard that once.

Can you name any of these churches?
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...ACRE-SURVIVORS

Quote:
Stedfast Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas delivered a fiery sermon to his congregation in which he called for the survivors of the horrific massacre at the gay Pulse night club in Orlando, Florida last week to die and burn in hell.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:20 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I am going to open a can of worms, but it is what it is. This is what I've noticed. Race plays a bigger part of this. Among the White population, at least where I live, there are more liberals among the college educated. While I do met White Republicans who are college educated, the vast majority of White liberals I know have a college education. Most working class Whites I've met tend to be conservative. With Blacks, this is what I've noticed. Most Blacks vote Democrat, whether they are working class, working poor, middle class, upper class, college educated, or barely educated. Among Hispanics, most of the conservative Hispanics I've met were born and raised in the USA, and are pretty much "Americanized" as some might call it. Education level notwithstanding. Among Asians I've met, it varies. Most Asian Republicans I've met have been Vietnamese. Outside of that, many Democrats.

Across the country, the "coasts" theory isn't that applicable. Educated liberals can be found in any large city in the USA. If you account for race, even moreso.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What problem? Answer the effing question or leave the thread.

The fact is I didn't answer b/c it's a glib question, but I'll indulge in this game for a bit.

Middle class is benefited by access to reasonable cost health-care, ability to keep more of their paycheck, access to education (college or vocational), access to clean air and water.
Where I would postulate that you and I differ is that I feel those are best achieved by crafting policies aimed directly at the middle class whereas GOP dogma is to allow the middle class to catch the crumbs falling out of the pockets of the 1%; somehow they tricked blue collar low/skill low/education voters that this is the way out of their present through phony culture wars like welfare queens, Acorn, BLM, gay marriage, etc.

Last edited by Metsfan53; 09-20-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post

Fascinating that in all your searches via google, you could only find a Hispanic preacher saying such.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that fits the false narrative that you are attempting to debunk.

(of course this sort of thing happens when the only response is to google up a link)

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am going to open a can of worms, but it is what it is. This is what I've noticed. Race plays a bigger part of this. Among the White population, at least where I live, there are more liberals among the college educated. While I do met White Republicans who are college educated, the vast majority of White liberals I know have a college education. Most working class Whites I've met tend to be conservative. With Blacks, this is what I've noticed. Most Blacks vote Democrat, whether they are working class, working poor, middle class, upper class, college educated, or barely educated. Among Hispanics, most of the conservative Hispanics I've met were born and raised in the USA, and are pretty much "Americanized" as some might call it. Education level notwithstanding. Among Asians I've met, it varies. Most Asian Republicans I've met have been Vietnamese. Outside of that, many Democrats.

Across the country, the "coasts" theory isn't that applicable. Educated liberals can be found in any large city in the USA. If you account for race, even moreso.
Spot on sir.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
I don't think any party has a monopoly on education. Shrug. What does your view on abortion have to do with IQ... it's about values. I think party affiliation has a stronger correlation with class or race than education. And I do mean I think... someone's probably done a study on this.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Nation Wide,

Clinton won College grads with 49% to 45%

Post grad, 58% to 37%

Exit Polls 2016

You can switch between the states, she wins post college grad in just about all of them, college grade in most.

Louisiana and West Virginia are horrible examples for 2 reasons.

1. Because you are arguing perception, not actual facts

2. That perception is based on living in areas where conservatives outnumber liberals anyways.
Saying that they're 'college grads' doesn't mean jack squat if they got their degree in something useless like "Art History" or "Women's Studies". A 5th grader could pass and get those types of degrees.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Saying that they're 'college grads' doesn't mean jack squat if they got their degree in something useless like "Art History" or "Women's Studies". A 5th grader could pass and get those types of degrees.
Useless in what sense? You do know there are a fair amount of successful business people or even, gasp, artists who have humanities degrees, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies