Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 12:25 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Because Olympic teams are not tied to political status. New York or Texas could have their own Olympics team too if they put forward the money to form one.

Some nations allow their overseas regions to have their own Olympics teams (US, UK, China), others don't (France). The Dutch Caribbean islands were allowed to have their own Olympics teams until Dutch constitutional reform in 2010 led to the 6 islands becoming integral part of the Dutch Kingdom as either special municipalities of Holland itself (Bonaire, Saba, St. Eustatius) or as constituent countries equal to Holland (Aruba, Curacao, and St. Maarten).
A flag is political. The U.S flag represents Americans.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM

693 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I guess you found a mirror.
Well, I said you weren't bright. You re-worded a question that I had already answered. That tells me you're not understanding. If you're not understanding something really simple....then that tells me you're not bright.

Should I give you praise and pat you on the back for not comprehending a simple concept?

A simple google search will provide you with additional answers if so do desire. For example...did you know that you don't even have to represent ANY nation to be in the olympics?

But, if you're too lazy to find out, here's a simple explanation why....
https://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/...ted-states-ioc

So, in a nutshell, the IOC seeing them as a "country" for the sake of being part of the Olympics, doesn't in an way, shape or form, mean that puerto ricans don't consider themselves americans, or are not proud of being americans.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:32 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
So, in a nutshell, the IOC seeing them as a "country" for the sake of being part of the Olympics, doesn't in an way, shape or form, mean that puerto ricans don't consider themselves americans, or are not proud of being americans.
What it shows is how Puerto Ricans view themselves. If they were proud to be American, they would compete on the American teams with everybody else.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM

I'm beginning to see exactly what some people want. They want stateside americans to be able to have the luxury of being able to identify themselves as american, as well as the states the come from (Texans, Floridians, New Yorkers, etc) and even what section of the country they come from (southern heritage, northern heritage, etc)....and even wave their own flags (american flag, confederate flag and state flag).
But they want Puerto Ricans to ONLY identify themselves as Americans, and nothing else....and anything less than that, means they are not proud to be American.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
What it shows is how Puerto Ricans view themselves. If they were proud to be American, they would compete on the American teams with everybody else.
I was born in Mayaguez and I bleed Red White And Blue

Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, what IT DOES show, is that Puerto Ricans view themselves as americans....but also fully Puerto Rican.

Why do we have different sports teams that represent different states and different cities within those states? Shouldn't we just have one big football team that does battle against other countries?

As a puerto rican, I'm telling you....you are wrong. I'm 100% proud to be american, but news flash....I'm also 100% proud to be Puerto Rican. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Well, I said you weren't bright. You re-worded a question that I had already answered. That tells me you're not understanding. If you're not understanding something really simple....then that tells me you're not bright.

Should I give you praise and pat you on the back for not comprehending a simple concept?

A simple google search will provide you with additional answers if so do desire. For example...did you know that you don't even have to represent ANY nation to be in the olympics?

But, if you're too lazy to find out, here's a simple explanation why....
https://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/...ted-states-ioc

Your not the bright one in the room.
You did not answer it you resorted to name calling. Typical of someone who isn't bright

Old 09-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
No, what IT DOES show, is that Puerto Ricans view themselves as americans....but also fully Puerto Rican.

Why do we have different sports teams that represent different states and different cities within those states? Shouldn't we just have one big football team that does battle against other

As a puerto rican, I'm telling you....you are wrong. I'm 100% proud to be american, but news flash....I'm also 100% proud to be Puerto Rican. It's not a difficult concept to understand.
Apples & Oranges are not the same

Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 PM

Here's a novel idea, for those that think puerto ricans don't consider themselves to be proud americans, or only want to be american for the handouts....how about you ask a puerto rican how they feel?

Every Puerto Rican I know, works, and works hard for their pay. Hell, I get paid more than the average american
according to the average median income in America. In my 47 years of life, I've never known a puerto rican that wasn't proud to be american, and several of them, including family, that served in the armed forces.
I have never known a puerto rican that only wanted handouts, but certainly did try for handouts when need....NO DIFFERENT than many white americans in red states.

If you want to label us as moochers, wanting free handouts, not considering ourselves americans, etc....then that's a bias that you're going to have to live with.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
The fact that in a worldwide competition between different countries, Puerto Ricans prefer to compete as their own separate nation and not on the side of Americans demonstrates how they identify and perceive themselves.

Quote:
Why do we have different sports teams that represent different states and different cities within those states? Shouldn't we just have one big football team that does battle against other countries?
Those are for our own national sports within this country. You're not even making sense at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.