Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 AM

693 posts, read 357,523 times

Advertisements

It saddens me, as an American, that was born in puerto rico, to see so many of my fellow americans be so ignorant on the issue, and so biased against Puerto Ricans. With all the progress that this country has made, it's obvious that we still have so much work to do to combat bigotries.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Puerto Ricans are culturally different from mainstream America.

In the old neighborhood of many different European immigrants it was Puerto Ricans that changed the flavor completely when they arrived.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:05 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

In the old neighborhood of many different European immigrants it was Puerto Ricans that changed the flavor completely when they arrived.
And at one time, those European immigrants changed the neighborhoods that they arrived into. They certainly weren't "American" culturally, when they arrived. But now we regard them as so. Why are Puerto Ricans (who are Americans already, by the way!!!) looked at any differently?

So much ignorance of history here - it's kind of blowing my mind.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

As are american italians, american polish, american jews, american russians, american Chinese, etc.
I lived in NY, and walking into different neighborhoods, was like walking into different parts of the world.
America is, without a doubt, a melting pot of different cultures. It was founded by people from different countries. it's a shame so many people don't understand that, and want to strip people of their cultural identity, under the guise of "it's not american".

Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
This thread didn't disappoint.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's a form of bigotry. They want everyone to conform to what their idea of an american is. They don't realize, that even among white america, americans are different culturally. It's why people from the south consider themselves "southerners". As a southerner, they have a very different culture that they live in, as marked by how they speak (accent), their own history, foods they prefer, political views, etc. That doesn't make them any less american. Hell, to this day, they want to cling to a treasonous flag because they claim it's part of their "southern" heritage.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And at one time, those European immigrants changed the neighborhoods that they arrived into. They certainly weren't "American" culturally, when they arrived. But now we regard them as so. Why are Puerto Ricans (who are Americans already, by the way!!!) be looked at any differently?

It is still like that though, generations later. Many arrived around the same time as the Europeans, and it wasn't an insult - why is it negative to have a unique culture?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
I served with four Puerto Ricans in my assault helicopter company in Vietnam..........Damn right they are Americans........

Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Folks from NY call themselves New Yorkers.
Folks from Florida call themselves Floridians.
Folks from Texas call themselves Texans.

They all consider themselves Americans.

Someone from Puerto Rico calls themself a Puerto Rican....people lose their minds thinking that they don't consider themselves American.
This.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I served with four Puerto Ricans in my assault helicopter company in Vietnam..........Damn right they are Americans........
My father and uncle served in Vietnam. My father in law served in Korea. All as american (and puerto rican) as they come, and very proud to be american.

As are pretty much every puerto rican I know. As a puerto rican born in puerto rico, raised in NY, and live in FL.....I literally don't know any puerto rican that isn't proud to be 100% american.
Some whiter than (white, blue/green eyes, blonde) than your average non hispanic american.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies