Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times

Advertisements

They are Puerto Ricans. That's what they want to be called. If they thought of themselves as Americans, they would call themselves that.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Beyond their obvious citizenship, do you consider Puerto Ricans legitimately American? I ask because the response to hurricanes hitting Puerto Rico is markedly different from the response when they hit the lower 48.
Please don't forget to contribute to help Puerto Ricans. From what I am seeing they've been devastated.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:37 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,183,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They selectively choose when to identify as Americans. Normally they have a foreign identity and have no allegiance to the United States.
Sounds like a Texan. So they really are American !

Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Fewer than half of Americans, however, even realize that Puerto Ricans are American citizens.

Puerto Rico is under the unique and challenging position of still recovering from Hurricane Irma — which skated near the country earlier this month but mostly spared the island from widespread damage — while simultaneously prepping for Maria.

“After Irma, the people of Puerto Rico stood up and helped others,” he said, according to USA Today. “We’ve done our part. But it’s likely we’re going to need a lot of help, a lot of collaboration, after this storm.”

A Lot Of Americans Don't Know That Puerto Ricans Are Americans, Too | HuffPost

Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM

693 posts, read 357,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
When I lived in NYC, when asked, Puerto Ricans living in the city always called themselves Puerto Ricans, not Americans. They have American citizenship but, without exception, I found they considered themselves Puerto Rican.
They do consider themselves american.

They call themselves puerto rican, the same way blacks refer to themselves as african american, or chinese americans still calling themselves chinese....or the same with ANY other race.
Ask an american italian in NYC what they are, and they will say italian.

Them identifying themselves as where they come from doesn't mean they don't consider themselves american....or aren't proud to be american. I can't believe in 2017 this is even a discussion.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Take it out of the war in Afghanistan.

BTW...ain't that many blonde PR's.
I guess it depends upon where they came from. Her mothers side is blond and they came from Spain. Her dad and brothers are dark haired and Latin looking. Can't wait to see her and my sons baby. He's a swede. All I know is, yippee, grandchildren that tan.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Folks from NY call themselves New Yorkers.
Folks from Florida call themselves Floridians.
Folks from Texas call themselves Texans.

They all consider themselves Americans.

Someone from Puerto Rico calls themself a Puerto Rican....people lose their minds thinking that they don't consider themselves American.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
They do consider themselves american.

They call themselves puerto rican, the same way blacks refer to themselves as african american, or chinese americans still calling themselves chinese....or the same with ANY other race.
Ask an american italian in NYC what they are, and they will say italian.

Them identifying themselves as where they come from doesn't mean they don't consider themselves american....or aren't proud to be american. I can't believe in 2017 this is even a discussion.
Not to mention, unless one is in a foreign country, who calls themselves American to a fellow American? Doesn't everyone refer to themselves as a native of the STATE they're from?

Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Not to mention, unless one is in a foreign country, who calls themselves American to a fellow American? Doesn't everyone refer to themselves as a native of the STATE they're from?

Yep. Ask someone from Florida what they are....they say Floridian.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Yep. Ask someone from Florida what they are....they say Floridian.
Great minds think alike and post at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies