Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times

Advertisements

As opposed to fake americans?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

3,860 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Face it, you don't like the potential electoral outcome. Just admit it. We wouldn't be having this discussion if PR and the other territories were guaranteed GOP votes. It's up to us, as free people, what we want. Not YOU.
No, it's actually not. That's why Puerto Rico is not a state today after several votes for statehood.

Congress doesn't want it - Americans don't want Puerto Rico as a state. The plebiscites mean nothing! You actually don't have a say in the matter.

It's better for both parties that we help Puerto Rico transition into being an independent self-governing nation and end our colonial relationship. It might be rocky at the start, but we all have faith that Puerto Ricans will be able to look after themselves.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 AM

3,860 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Puerto Rico is actually doing something a whole heck of a lot better than are schools on the mainland.
What? Have you seen the scores from Puerto Rican schools? It's embarrassing. They are neglecting the children in Puerto Rico. It's really sad.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
as long as they aren't PROGS? because there are no real American PROGS.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 AM

693 posts, read 357,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
What? Have you seen the scores from Puerto Rican schools? It's embarrassing. They are neglecting the children in Puerto Rico. It's really sad.

The posters response was in regards to knowing 2 languages from an early age....not an all encompassing remark for all subjects.

With that said, when it comes to languages, many countries have their citizens know at least 2 languages from a young age. In that regard, yes, they're doing something more than us.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Beyond their obvious citizenship, do you consider Puerto Ricans legitimately American? I ask because the response to hurricanes hitting Puerto Rico is markedly different from the response when they hit the lower 48.

I guess you are grousing because the Cajan Navy and the Texas Armada have not arrived in Puerto Rica or the US Virgin Islands yet. The Power Company trucks are still not there and the big semis have not rolled in yet.

I hate to break this to you folks -- but Puerto Rica and the US Virgin Islands are "Islands" in the Caribbean.
There is ZERO chance that the "response" is going to be the same as it is for Florida, Texas or Louisiana.

Of course they are Americans and Citizenship is not anything "beyond", it's real.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM

693 posts, read 357,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Of course they are Americans and Citizenship is not anything "beyond", it's real.

Exactly. No matter how anyone spins it to try and defend their stance as to why they believe puerto ricans are not american.....they'd be flat out wrong.
They are americans, 100%. They are no less natural legal american, than someone being born in Texas.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
PR is on Google Streetview and I'm surprised how American it looks. Same exact vehicles I'd see driving down the road in my area. Just with more colonial Spanish architecture in places.
^ this

I've consistently said that Puerto Rico is little different than any heavily Hispanic community on the mainland. A family friend of ours describes it as "Brentwood with palm trees" in reference to a largely Hispanic community here on Long Island.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
It saddens me, as an American, that was born in puerto rico, to see so many of my fellow americans be so ignorant on the issue, and so biased against Puerto Ricans. With all the progress that this country has made, it's obvious that we still have so much work to do to combat bigotries.
Unfortunately this forum has become increasingly more and more right wing in recent years and with it have come the ugly politics of White racial resentment.

I just ignore the ignoramuses, they are like the mainland version of the PIP: very loud and vocal but a relatively small minority.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Beyond their obvious citizenship, do you consider Puerto Ricans legitimately American? I ask because the response to hurricanes hitting Puerto Rico is markedly different from the response when they hit the lower 48.
Last time I checked, the US, itself, answered that question in 1898! Remember that......?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies