Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times

Advertisements

https://futurism.com/california-is-c...electric-cars/

California Air Resources Board eyes future ban on gas-powered engines | The Sacramento Bee

The business environmental elite is at it again. First, it was plastic bag fees and certain cities banning plastic bags and now I guess they want to ban diesel and gas powered cars.

California is considering a ban on sale of gas and diesel cars to meet climate goals.

I wonder how this helps the working-class who live paycheck to paycheck who want a car to get them to work.

Many people starting out just an old car to get them from their house to work. Electric cars are not cheap and I wonder about the productivity of an older-model electric car's battery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 05:51 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Coal power baby! And all those old batteries? Forget about em, we'll dump them in utah or nevada somewheres.
Bonus is people will have fewer choices so less stress at new car time.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:51 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Another reason of many never to go there.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:39 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

California Air Resources Board eyes future ban on gas-powered engines | The Sacramento Bee

The business environmental elite is at it again. First, it was plastic bag fees and certain cities banning plastic bags and now I guess they want to ban diesel and gas powered cars.

California is considering a ban on sale of gas and diesel cars to meet climate goals.

I wonder how this helps the working-class who live paycheck to paycheck who want a car to get them to work.

Many people starting out just an old car to get them from their house to work. Electric cars are not cheap and I wonder about the productivity of an older-model electric car's battery
It would be very difficult to pull that off now. Electric cars are still very expensive. But maybe in 10 or 20 years it will be possible.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:42 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It would be very difficult to pull that off now. Electric cars are still very expensive. But maybe in 10 or 20 years it will be possible.
So you're okay with politicians telling you what kind of car you can buy?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:02 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Coal power baby! And all those old batteries? Forget about em, we'll dump them in utah or nevada somewheres.
Bonus is people will have fewer choices so less stress at new car time.
I have been to a giant battery recycle plant. They are extremely efficient and non-polluting. Thing is you don't see all the carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide so you don't consider it polluting.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Another reason of many never to go there.
Actually Californians want that. There are too many low paid workers there now. They want the high tech types who can easily afford the tiny bit extra to get an electric car.

As for those high pollution starter cars, people can take buses so this will have to be combined with a program for more public transportation using electric buses.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you're okay with politicians telling you what kind of car you can buy?
Yes!

Government has said a lot before:

They have to have

Turn signals

Lights

Seat belts.

Tempered glass windows.

Bumpers

You name it....car manufacturers won't do any safety improvements unless government mandates it.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Even if this happened, it would be in the distant future. We're talking decades, not mere years.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

cool story bro.

but you are fighting history. We WILL go to 100% electric and AI controlled cars with ZERO human allowed to drive on public roads and very limited fossil fuel vehicles, but not for consumers.

this is just the reality of the world YOU live in, so i suggest you just get used to it.

nobody is doing it today, and obviously it will be phased in, but ultimately if you are young you will be telling your great grandkids about how people used to "drive" on public roads and that tens of thousands of people died each year ....

AI and electric are going to make cars CHEAPER than ever. TCO will fall through the floor and at the same time people will buy fewer cars and eventually many middle class families will simply choose to not even own one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies