Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 02:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There is no proof of that. At all.
there is more than enough correlation at this point to be absolutely certain that removing guns lowers the murder rate. we have a number of nations that did it and many many more where we can see gun ownership and murder rates correlating. yeah yeah we all understand the limits of correlations , but the weight of proof is on my side, your side has NOTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

995 posts, read 1,696,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
You don't see people openly committing crimes very often? why? because they are illegal and they are likely to be stopped and punished. Thus various crimes are greatly reduced simply because opportunity is greatly reduced.
It is pretty basic stuff.

Do you not understand that mass murder is against the law?

As a matter of fact, every mass shooting in US history was illegal. I did the research. You're welcome.

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, it would not. Australia is a perfect example. Mass murders did not decline. Mass murders by guns did. Mass murders by other means increased significantly, making it virtually a wash.

Why do YOU think, in theory, it would decline? Isn't murder already against the law?
Do you have some actual statistics, facts, anything regarding those Australia claims?

"Fewer people are being murdered in Australia, with the nation’s homicide rate hitting an all-time record low."...

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...son-per-100000

Old 10-02-2017, 02:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
LOL, hand tool? did you even watch your own video? The film showed them using a Takisawa tooling machine for borrowing the gun barrels. A new one of those costs somewhere between 15 to 150 thousand and the number of companies that make machines like that are really limited. This is as rudimentary as it gets and they still need loads of large machining tools, lots of good quality metal, electricity, a water supply, a large warehouse and an army of workers.
I posted the wrong video clip.

Here you go:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1TXEE_QK4

Old 10-02-2017, 02:15 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'll wait until the facts are presented to comment. Until then it's all speculation.

Far as limiting firearms and ammo goes. Nope. That's a separate discussion in of itself. To exploit tragedy is the only argument anti gunners have.

If put to a vote, I say segregate the country. Gun owners go here. Anti gun crowd goes there. Everyone will be happy. You can't regulate evil. Punishing me and others like me who compete in shooting sports, isn't the answer.

If I had the land, and the money, I'd have a couple belt fed full autos myself. I'm not bothering anyone. Just converting dollars into spent brass at a high cyclic rate and having a good time.

Unlike those who live in fear, I don't want to live in a bubble surrounded by thick padding.

I want to parachute out of an airplane. I want to take a top fuel dragster down a 1/4 mile at over 300mph, I want to launch dirtbikes and quads off steep jumps and blast through a technical woops section, I want to continue utilizing the magazines you seek to ban in 3 gun competitions, I want to take a chance, a risk, and drive to a destination.

I do not want to forfeit my rights and liberties in exchange for your idea of a utopia.
I do not want to live in a Gun Free society. Ever. Hence why I left NY post Safe Act after attempting multiple times attending multiple rallies to overturn the nonsensical firearm legislation, and moved to a gun friendly state.

You might be comfortable trading liberty for comfort, I'm not.

Until all of the facts come to light about the incident I will not comment on it other than I heard from a cousin who attended and she is safe with a minor injury (skinned knee) from being knocked down when people started to run.
So sorry about your cousin.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:16 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
a mind-boggling headline.
Washington post is very upset that CNN didn't say anything nasty about trump's vegas speech.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...=.91fbaec9d354
Interesting, I wonder what Amazon (owner of the WP) are trying to sell that CNN wont go along with? Did CNN decline some deal to be part of their Alexa platform or something?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:17 PM

709 posts, read 657,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Lawsuits are expensive as well. Gun safes may be cheaper.

Well, maybe they will demand people declare their guns and explain why they have them. Maybe fill out a form and register those guns. Maybe they won't even let you stay there with your guns. Or there can be special hunting hotels lodges for those with guns, where everyone signs a waiver in case they are shot or killed. Who knows?

You think that hunters cannot be inconvenienced? Smokers are.

You think hotels will not be held liable for crazy guests shooting people in or from their hotel? People will need assurances it is safe to stay in hotels.

Sad that this is what it has come to in this country, but mass carnage will do that.

Remember when you could pretty much just get on a plane?
Any hotel that does that, especially in an area that caters to hunting types, will go out of business. Firearm owners (and hunters) are almost 100% middle class and higher. People who don't have some means cannot afford shooting as a hobby, because it isn't cheap.

Besides that, I'm sure I speak for many gun owners when I say: **** off. It isn't any of your business what firearms I own, how many I own, or what I do with them unless I am shooting at someone/something and it isn't in defense of my life or somebody else's.

590 posts, read 555,281 times
As usual, the left are starting to politicize this tragic event and want more laws or knee jerk reactions that don't do anything to stop criminals from getting guns. This Paddock individual was "known" to Las Vegas police, and we're hearing that his father was a wanted bank robber.

Put the blame for this horrific act where it belongs and before everyone starts pointing fingers, let's see what this guy's motives were, and what made him snap.

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting, just as I predicted.

More details should be coming out that is contrary to the siblings remembrances of him as a quiet, nice guy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dark-deta...173419547.html
what on earth are you talking about? There is a reference in there to the shooter's father being a criminal - a fact which I shared up thread hours ago and which has already been discussed a bit in this thread.

there is nothing in your link about any "dark details" regarding the shooter beyond his already now known family history.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:18 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I have no issue with shotguns or hunting rifles. Both of which are rarely used in crime. Nobody needs 30 rounds to bring down a deer.
Let me put you out hunting a deer and you get lost, say you break an arm in a fall.

Now which would you rather have in that situation, a pocket full of rounds that you have to load one handed or a box magazine or two that only takes one hand to insert.

The stories of people getting lost while hunting is not unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies