Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 02:23 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The leaps that people will go through to defend their power fetish projected through guns. Sad and sick.
By leaps do you mean "facts"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, it would not. Australia is a perfect example. Mass murders did not decline. Mass murders by guns did. Mass murders by other means increased significantly, making it virtually a wash.

Why do YOU think, in theory, it would decline? Isn't murder already against the law?
MURDER has declined greatly. the per 100k rate has dropped from about 2.0 in the 90s to less than 1. in the last 10 years.

funny thing is you cling to the word "mass" because legally that means 3 or more and mostly mass murder when counted by the legal term is someone killing their family...

the volume mass murder of strangers fell off a cliff, but you were not going to admit that were you.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
there is more than enough correlation at this point to be absolutely certain that removing guns lowers the murder rate. we have a number of nations that did it and many many more where we can see gun ownership and murder rates correlating. yeah yeah we all understand the limits of correlations , but the weight of proof is on my side, your side has NOTHING.
I'd like to see that proof. I've seen the proof to the contrary, but I truly would like a balanced viewpoint.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How like Fox. They repeat it again and again, even as they state it is "unconfirmed," knowing full well that all their listeners hear is ISIS, ISIS, ISIS. Thus they have successfully linked this incident with ISIS in their viewers' minds already, no matter what the truth may turn out to be.

A responsible news agency would not be repeating unconfirmed information over and over again for this very reason. But then, we're not talking about a responsible news agency.
"How like Fox News?" Why would you say that? I don't think 3 times in 6 hours is excessive.

"[K]nowing full well that all their listeners hear is ISIS, ISIS, ISIS" Kind of like "Russia, Russia, Russia?"

A responsible news agency doesn't repeatedly use "unnamed sources," or "anonymous sources" and make up stories, like CNN, Washington Post, and MSNBC do either.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:26 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah?

Do tell what I typed that was non-factual.

We have had umpteen threads of this nature and the same people say the same things. IF you think that we are changing one thing by typing out thoughts on CD - you are very sadly mistaken.

My emotion or lack thereof is completely meaningless other than some like to fancy themselves as a voice of reason.
It's an internet forum, with out people debating opposite sides what purpose would there be for a forum ?
Sorry, I don't mean for my posts to change a single thing. It is just entertainment. When I log off, I spend the rest of my day without a single thought of CD. If I'm bored , I might check in, most times not.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Do you have some actual statistics, facts, anything regarding those Australia claims?

"Fewer people are being murdered in Australia, with the nation’s homicide rate hitting an all-time record low."...

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...son-per-100000
I don't have the actual statistics on this computer, but will post them when I get access to them.

And I was specifically addressing "mass murders", which has nothing to do with the article you linked. And the reason the gun grabbers come out of the woodwork to demand we follow Australia's lead.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:28 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'd like to see that proof. I've seen the proof to the contrary, but I truly would like a balanced viewpoint.
I thought you provided us with facts?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:29 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let me put you out hunting a deer and you get lost, say you break an arm in a fall.

Now which would you rather have in that situation, a pocket full of rounds that you have to load one handed or a box magazine or two that only takes one hand to insert.

The stories of people getting lost while hunting is not unknown.
What use would a gun have in that scenario?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:29 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let me put you out hunting a deer and you get lost, say you break an arm in a fall.

Now which would you rather have in that situation, a pocket full of rounds that you have to load one handed or a box magazine or two that only takes one hand to insert.

The stories of people getting lost while hunting is not unknown.
This is your logic? Really?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:30 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
As much as I would like to buy into this I can't. What if someone breaks into my house, hooks a chain to my gun safe and pulls it right thru the wall ? Look at all those "loose" guns that are now out on the street.

And with the amount of "gun free zones" that are out, when a legal gun owner runs into that predicament , what then ? Illegally enter the zone, or secure the firearm in their car ? I know , the answer you would like to see is know one carrying at all.

There is a huge issue with unsecured firearms and children in the house, I'm all for throwing the book at those that end up having a loved one shoot themselves or another due to that negligence. Although firearms safety goes along with that as well.
I can see that you are close to buying into it though,
makes no sense that anyone that is so carefree with their legal guns get
to go out and buy a new one after they carelessly left it in their
car parked in front of their house.
I live in a smaller town so this stupidity is easily happening all over the US.

The argument about robbers hooking chains to gun safes is
rather thin, the reality is many of those gun thefts would not
happen if legal gun owners secured their firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies