Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 09:49 AM

34,254 posts, read 18,620,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
As always, making comparisons with northwestern European countries. But the places in the U.S. where most gun violence happens don't resemble Denmark by any stretch.
They ignore that the vast majority of violent crime committed by PEOPLE using guns is primarily inner city Blacks killing each other over turf, and drugs. It doesn't fit the Left's insane agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 AM

29,564 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Again your post is nonsense piled higher and deeper.

Homicide rate in England is well less than a fourth of the US and gun homicides are 1/32 that of the US

Overall crime rate is actually a good bit higher. But they don't kill each other. And incarceration rate is a small fraction of the US..

Face it. Gun availability leads to a high death toll and always will. Your argument needs to be those deaths buy good things. But you seem unable to deal with that. Why? You don't believe it?

If that was the case , how is anyone even left alive in places like Michigan ?
There is roughly 10 million people here. So comparable to London. In 2015 there were 571 homicides, a substantial amount more than London. Now subtract the 295 homicides in the city of Detroit ,and the 48 in Flint. That brings it down to 228. Of those homicides in those two cities, 90% or more of them were done with illegal firearms. Now here is the thing , 30% of Michigan residents legally own a firearm, 7% have concealed carry licenses, and it is legal to open carry here.

So with roughly 2.7 million people owning firearms , and roughly 800,000 people legally carrying, if firearms were a problem don't you think the homicide rates would be higher ? And there are many states that have even higher percentages of firearms ownership.

Again, our issue is with our inner cities where the majority of deaths are due to illegal firearms. If we can get ahold of that , we would be just as save as those utopias across the pond, with millions of people owning firearms.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Gun violence is disproportionately urban (ie, black. hispanic)...if you back that out, we have the same homicide rates as some Western European countries, like Belgium.

This is a demographics problem, more than a firearm problem.
Very true. But they don't want to work on the drug culture.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
"About three-quarters (76%) of Democrats say the ease with which people can legally obtain guns contributes a great deal or fair amount to gun violence, compared with just 39% of Republicans.

By contrast, more than eight-in-ten Republicans (84%) and Democrats (88%) say the ease with which people can illegally obtain guns contributes a great deal or a fair amount to gun violence."

Where Republicans and Democrats agree, differ on gun policy | Pew Research Center

Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Seems some folks never tire of this subject, in fact the opposite, but I'm certainly tired of reading the same old circle of comments and insults to nowhere. I just noticed this thread highlighted because I commented in this thread some time ago. Also before that, I started a thread with this article that I still think pretty well sums it all up nicely...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt

Old 01-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems some folks never tire of this subject, in fact the opposite, but I'm certainly tired of reading the same old circle of comments and insults to nowhere. I just noticed this thread highlighted because I commented in this thread some time ago. Also before that, I started a thread with this article that I still think pretty well sums it all up nicely...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ks-what-doesnt
Read it before. Most of it is stupid.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Stupid comment, don't you think? Maybe you could at least explain why you think the article is mostly stupid?

Or is this some sort of stupid competition to argue the other is stupid with just another round of stupid comments?

Right. Never mind. I really just wanted to get in and out of this gun thread with some information that might be worth considering. I do NOT want to get into another round of playing the who is most stupid game. I'll leave that to you and those who seem to love that game above all else.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:42 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,632,416 times
Quote:
TRANSLATION: I can't refute any of it, but I hate it anyway. So I'll call it names and hope somebody believes me.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: I can't refute any of it, but I hate it anyway. So I'll call it names and hope somebody believes me.
Well just start with reduced magazine size, for example. Will not have any effect at all. I have seen the studies on CD.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,650,859 times
Quote:
Well just start with reduced magazine size, for example. Will not have any effect at all. I have seen the studies on CD.

There are many similar things that the core argument here^^ is the same with insofar as "gun control" goes. Restricting magazine size for citizens owned firearms would indeed make zero difference. Banning certain designs of firearms for citizen ownership would make no difference either.

This inane fear of rifles like the AR 15 does drive a phobic agenda in a desire to ban such weapons, but if it were to happen there would be no reduction in violence via firearms. One of the worst mass shootings in US history was carried out with a three shot, integral magazine hunting rifle. Matter of fact, shot for shot it was THE worst mass shooting in US history.

The AR 15 actually is functionally no different than any other semi auto. It merely has modern ergonomic furniture and takes a higher capacity magazine. But a rifle such as the M1 Garand is no less capable (more so in reality) than an AR 15 in terms of effectiveness.

There seems to be this odd view that someone who has been shot with a round from an AR will somehow be MORE dead (or more grievously inured) than someone who has been shot by a weapon sans the ARs modern design features. The Texas Bell Tower incident proves this to be a seriously ignorant view of things.

Magazine capacity and design features do not make a rifle such as an AR any more lethal when used for nefarious purposes. What determines above all else how lethally effective any given firearm is would be the abilities of the one handling the gun. Totally secondary to that would be the type and number of rounds available.

The standard cartridge fired by the AR is not(contrary to popular belief amongst the anti firearms types) any sort of armor piercing powerhouse. It's a varmint cartridge chambered in a rifle of modern design that utilizes polymer and aluminum rather than wood and steel. The aforementioned M1 Garand IS a powerhouse, firing a heavy 30 cal cartridge that can burn through light vehicle armor and certainly many types of body armor. It's also one of the most popular hunting cartridges on the market for large game, deer and up. The venerable 30 06 Springfield, in wide use since the early 1900s and originally chambered in the 03 A3 Springfield with the US military.

But I digress. The point is that no bans on particular firearms designs, magazine capacity, ergonomic/cosmetic features, types of sighting systems and whatever other features idiot politicians can make sound evil will amount to a fart in a high wind in stopping or even slowing rates of violence committed with firearms.

The UK is often cited as an example for us to follow which upon close examination is just nonsensical. The Brits have even gone so far as to require serial numbers and permits on kitchen knives. Blades over six inches in length are supposed to be registered. Yet, the ceremonial daggers carried as a cultural thing by Muslim cultures are still allowed. Can't interfere with "culture." Yet it's just such people who wield knives in terror attacks.

Yea, makes a lot of sense. Johnny Cockney has to register his steak knife set, but immigrants from the ME can have that wicked , curved, rhino horn handled dagger in their sash. And it just gets better from there. So I must beg pardon for my disagreement that UK style laws on weapons of any kind are an example for us to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies