Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 11:03 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,529,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...-shifting-last

Not to be rude, but she did overreact a little to a pat on the butt.

I'm amazed that people compare Bush, or even Weinstein, to Cosby, who surreptitiously drugged women, took their clothes off and touched them when they were unconscious. Even the same term, "sexual assault" is used.
Sexual assault is the term used because it is the accurate term. For Cosby, you can also use the term rape (even if he escapes criminal liability).

In what universe do you think Bush's conduct is okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yes... but, patting her rear end and making a creepy comment wasn't okay. And, if she tucked it away and tried not to think of it, but was reminded of it when she saw him onstage, well, so be it.

There are no laws saying she cannot bring it up, and since his folks are offering apologies, it's clear they know he does this crap without asking.

I kinda like GHW, but come on. Let's not attack this woman for speaking up about something a former president did to her that made her uncomfortable. He knows he does it. It's not like it was a secret.

Sexual assault is unwanted intrusion into a person's personal space, touching parts of their body for which touching is generally reserved to a permission-only basis. Her rear end qualifies, if he touched it on purpose. Which, clearly, he did.
Seriously +1

Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,282,387 times
HW apologized to this one as well. He's a serial groper. I know a lot of people who wouldn't think his "joke" was at all funny.

President George H.W. Bush apologizes for patting women on the rear | wltx.com

Old 10-26-2017, 11:28 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,171,566 times
I will admit I initially thought wtf? It isn't true. now a second woman has come forward and he has apologized.
He also admits to telling a joke about that's not funny. For those of you who are blowing this off, *********. As a woman, I don't care if you are an sold geezer I deserve not to have my ass grabbed.

Now having said that I think he is old as hell and has no boundaries. I have several friends taking care of old parents and apparently, some of them lose all inhibitions as they age, especially their fathers. I've heard stories of women who were the most docile women turn into hell raisers as they age, and the most kind men turn into horny men.

Honestly if GHWB taking a pic in his wheelchair he has no reason to try and reach around your waist, he should just rest his hands on his chair or in his lap.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I will admit I initially thought wtf? It isn't true. now a second woman has come forward and he has apologized.
He also admits to telling a joke about that's not funny. For those of you who are blowing this off, *********. As a woman, I don't care if you are an sold geezer I deserve not to have my ass grabbed.

Now having said that I think he is old as hell and has no boundaries. I have several friends taking care of old parents and apparently, some of them lose all inhibitions as they age, especially their fathers. I've heard stories of women who were the most docile women turn into hell raisers as they age, and the most kind men turn into horny men.

Honestly if GHWB taking a pic in his wheelchair he has no reason to try and reach around your waist, he should just rest his hands on his chair or in his lap.
Or, you know, have the photographer position the subjects.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,396,257 times
The issue is not that Bush was not wrong. It is whether all such offenses are horrible felonies.

I would think Bush's actions were a minor infraction of the social code. Nothing remotely criminal.

We need some gradient between a whack on the backside and drugged or physically forced rape.

Using a widely broad category such as "'sexual assault" has the effect of reducing the Cosby crimes to be equivalent to those of a social infraction.

So yes both should not occur. But we should not confuse the different levels with a common term.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,529,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The issue is not that Bush was not wrong. It is whether all such offenses are horrible felonies.

I would think Bush's actions were a minor infraction of the social code. Nothing remotely criminal.

We need some gradient between a whack on the backside and drugged or physically forced rape.

Using a widely broad category such as "'sexual assault" has the effect of reducing the Cosby crimes to be equivalent to those of a social infraction.

So yes both should not occur. But we should not confuse the different levels with a common term.
What Bush did was a crime--sexual assault. In all likelihood it wouldn't result in a prison sentence--even if prosecuted successfully, but that does not change the fact that it was criminal conduct.

People are entirely capable of differentiating between Bush's conduct, Woody Allen's conduct, Bill Cosby's conduct, and Harvey Weinstein's conduct. You are fretting over a non-issue.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,171,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Pls read Post 104. No one is saying all infractions are the same, that doesn't even make sense.

We are in the midst of a tornado and when the dust settles, hopefully, most people will have a better understanding about illegal and/or selfish and/or lecherous behavior.

We all know what PRIVATE BODY PARTS are and no one has the right to help themselves to someone else's. Period, Full stop. Not complicated.

Nor do they have the right to threaten to affect another persons career, for good or bad, if that person doesn't comply with unwanted physical interaction.

For the life of me, how in the heck can people intentionally complicate such a simple issue????
The same reason folks can elect a person who admits on tape to sexually assualting women.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:11 PM

1,348 posts, read 794,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
The same reason folks can elect a person who admits on tape to sexually assualting women.
Not a Trump defender but, you make no sense. However, I realize you don't get that......

Old 10-26-2017, 01:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,146,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

Totally agree, and IF he has dementia, then I don't even take it to that level.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,417,513 times
I've been sexually harassed and I guess what angers me the most is that some women seem to think it merits more concern and attention if they happen to be a famous actress, or if the person who harassed them is famous. It's like they believe it's worse for them somehow - but it's not. The rest of us "ordinary folks" have to deal with these situations privately and we can't go running to the media.

I've also been in more fearful situations, than some 93 year old man in a wheelchair trying to put his around me. And if he has diminished mental capacity, he's not responsible for much of anything he does, anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies