Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 AM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
And the same thing will hold true for the future as well, NO political party will look anything remotely close to what they are today compared to 20 yr, 50 yrs, 100yrs and so on in the future.

History also shows us that political parties come and go over time, none of them last forever.
The Bannon, Stone, Manafort and Trump Group just showed us how easy it is to take over the Republican party in 2 years. I have no idea how long their planning took.

Ryan and Mitchell just think they are in control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Its bothers me more that LBJ accepted a Silver star for being on A COMBAT MISSION that he actually was not present on the aircraft.No one else on the aircraft who actually performed feats of bravery got anything............any decent person would have refused..........

Wrong.

LBJ was on a B-26 that was damaged by Japanese fighters and then had to return to base.

True, it seems like thin justification for an award like the Silver Star, but he was on the bomber and took the same risk as the rest of the crew.

Johnson Was Awarded the Silver Star for Flight With Bomber Group in Pacific - The New York Times

Old 10-28-2017, 01:30 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed Although that has nothing to do with my post.

I'm tired of people ignoring history. It causes them to make the same mistakes over and over again.
Actually, it has a lot to do with your post. I am aware of the Democratic party's history. But it's just that: history. It's ridiculous to use the actions of Andrew Jackson and LBJ's use of the n-word to try to implicate the entire Democratic party of today as racist. I know you didn't say that, but the posts I was complaining about in the first place did, and you said that the party is being exposed for what it is, implying agreement.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:34 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The Bannon, Stone, Manafort and Trump Group just showed us how easy it is to take over the Republican party in 2 years. I have no idea how long their planning took.

Ryan and Mitchell just think they are in control.
I'm not convinced they do. If they really believed it, they would stand up to these creeps. Instead, for the most part, the "establishment" Republicans are rolling over without a whimper.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:02 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Ever hear of the "telephone game"?

Document doesn't say he may have been a member. It says someone told someone else that another someone else claimed the Klan had something that showed he had once been a member.
Never heard you bring that up when the same thing happens when something goes down here and it involves a Republican. Think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
LBJ and KKK...I never heard that before. But give old Lyndon his due, he spent a lot of political capital on the Civil Right act.

Just read Biscuitmom...that makes more sense.
I could see why they would think it was a real possibility. They claim there was a "document": https://www.archives.gov/files/resea...d-32129399.pdf

LBJ opposed every civil rights proposal in his first 20 years: Lyndon Johnson opposed every civil rights proposal considered in his first 20 years as lawmaker | PolitiFact Texas

msnbc for the liberals: Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist. | MSNBC He was a racist, I am surprised that everyone was not aware. I guess he recognized that blacks were entitled to civil rights, but I have known people like this, "separate but equal" types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LBJ referred to the Civil Rights Act as the Ni##er Bill. Does it surprise anyone he's a defective human being?
Yes, he was known for using that word. I remember him. I was a child but there was something always that was not appealing to this northerner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
LBJ being a clan member was a claim made by the KKK leadership to the feds.

It was just a statement made to the feds. NO EVIDENCE WAS EVER PROVIDED. None.

Kinda like how Trump claimed Obama was born in Kenya with no actual evidence/proof and turned out to be total bull crap.

/thread
Jury is still out on Obama.

There is this, and we may see proof now that this has come forward: https://www.archives.gov/files/resea...d-32129399.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Only from the standpoint of a white supremacist.

When he became president he was freed from the need to kowtow to Texan racial conservatives and could act on his own conscience.
See above links, he was never free of racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Hmmmm Ahhhh Yeah, during those days blacks were segregated, had to sit in the back of the bus, could not drink water or use white designated bathrooms, etc, etc. In which planet do you live? Saturn?

Thankfully all those practices have been eradicated. Now black people worry about statues, flags, and Christopher Columbus. And the frustration, anger, and PTSD related to racial issues is a 1000% higher than in the Jim Crow era. Now the barriers are not clearly visible and delineated like in the old days. How do you fight imaginary concepts like white privilege or supremacy? If that is the case then Asian privilege and supremacy should also be decried and condemned. Asians do better than whites in America. This is a crossroad for black America.
Actually not in the 1960s in most of the country. As a child, I wasn't even aware that that type of discrimination or prejudice existed. I grew up in a county that had a big part in the underground railroad and was about 1/3 black. We didn't segregate. It seemed like the strangest concept to me. Asked someone I became friends with from GA if she knew why blacks weren't allowed to use the same drinking fountain but slave owners had sexual relations with them, she did not know. Couldn't sit next to them on the bus, but..............

Racism is an interesting thing. It plays out differently in different parts of the country with the majority of the people, especially the locals. I have the pleasure of living around the US, and no two areas were the same. Ignorance is hard to dispel, and I think some would be really surprised at how many practices may still exist.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:37 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times
What is interesting about Democrats is they get all outraged over Confederate monuments to dead Democrats but they have no problem still using the Democratic Party name despite the fact it was the party that supported slavery, lynching, segregation, Jim Crow, etc. It was the political arm of a white terorist group, the KKK. You would think they would want to use a different name.

People say Democratic Party has changed but it really hasn't in that it still uses race and identity politics to win power.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:22 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, it has a lot to do with your post. I am aware of the Democratic party's history. But it's just that: history. It's ridiculous to use the actions of Andrew Jackson and LBJ's use of the n-word to try to implicate the entire Democratic party of today as racist. I know you didn't say that, but the posts I was complaining about in the first place did, and you said that the party is being exposed for what it is, implying agreement.
Fair enough. As I did say what they are when I should have said what they were.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 10-28-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 05:02 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Most Dems were Klan members up till the 1960s. Then they decided they needed black votes and presented themselves as the saviors of blacks. It was a brilliant strategy and they garner 90%plus of the black vote.

LBJ sign the War on Poverty which increased fatherless families from 20% to 73% and climbing. The welfare state destroyed the black family---------- so as far as i am concerned all those southern Dems are still Klan members. And the worst type of racism is the one that HRC practices, the condescending and pandering attitude.
Except George Wallace who went the other way with it. If he hadn't been shot he could have been the dems nominee for president

Old 10-28-2017, 05:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
https://nostalgia049.wordpress.com/2...out-of-prison/

Old 10-28-2017, 05:11 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Wrong.

LBJ was on a B-26 that was damaged by Japanese fighters and then had to return to base.

True, it seems like thin justification for an award like the Silver Star, but he was on the bomber and took the same risk as the rest of the crew.

Johnson Was Awarded the Silver Star for Flight With Bomber Group in Pacific - The New York Times

Not according to this eyewitness...........

LBJ's Lies About His War Record | History News Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies