Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 06:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I have no interest in addressing your apologetic nonsense. But I would like you to read this quote, and really dissect it and understand it...

"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition." - Thomas Jefferson

If we look at a small farmer, regardless of color, we can assume with near-certainty, that he is married, and likely very religious. I would guess that the rate of single-parent families among black farmers is nearly zero, and almost-identical to the rate among white farmers.

And likewise, if you go into the cities, especially the impoverished areas, and you were to compare its black residents to its white residents, you would find very similar rates of single-parent families.

It is dependence which poisons men. The more dependent a person is, and not merely on the government, but also his employer, or the market, the more corrupt he becomes. If you want to help blacks, you must help them become more independent.
You have no interest in addressing my point.....but then you go on to say "BUT I WOULD LIKE YOU TO READ....."

Well.....I have no interest in reading your nonsense either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No the rates haven't risen faster for whites than blacks. Just the opposite and it isn't even close. Nothing to do with your skin color that you're wrong either. It's your inability to problem solve.

~1960 30 percent of blacks were from single parent families. Now it's 70%
Of the 70 that were 2 parent families in 1960, 40 more became single parent. 40 out of 70 = An increase of almost 60 percent.

White families had a 10 percent rate. Of the 90 that were 2 parent families in 1960, 20 more became single parent. 20 out of 90 = An increase of 22 percent.
You have pulled numbers out of thin air. I presented numbers from 1965, according to the Brookings Institute. How could the rate for whites be 10% in 1960 when it was 3% in 1965? Obviously you are changing numbers to get the answer you want.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why? Has it somehow managed to elude you that 72.2% is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than 29%? Was the president of the California Community College System right about you, too? Bad at math?

LOL!

72.2 > 29

Real nebulous stuff that.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
I've not read beyond the first page (I will read everything else when I get a chance), so I'm not sure if it has been brought up, but...

In the documentary, The Pruitt Igoe Myth, about the ill fated urban housing complex in St. Louis, it was explained that initially, apartments were only rented to single mothers. Many whose husbands had a job that could not properly support them, pretended you be single mothers whose husbands had abandoned them.

I'm not sure if that rule was a constant throughout housing complexes in the U.S, but if it was, no wonder the importance of marriage was reduced especially within poorer African American communities.

They could either stay together as a family unit without adequate housing, or pretend to be a single parent household and get a roof.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Here are my issues with this. I believe you're not being honest about the severity of how things were for blacks in America. I love that you're talking up black people and blackness, but I don't think it does anybody any good to paint a picture that nothing was ever really wrong. If anything you're backing up the claims of some of these white supremacists that say that blacks didn't have it THAT bad. We have to be honest about the damage done, and learn from it. The black family structure has been engineered far too much in this country. We can't talk about the importance of the traditional nuclear family, then turn around and say that it didn't really matter either. Blacks DO have more single parent households, and that's not an insult to blackness. There are obvious external things at play, mainly white supremacy that did this. We can't just act like blacks had complete control over our destinies here in this country.

Again, I appreciate the attempt to talk up the good that some blacks did for family and community, but we can't live in delusion about the white supremacy role in the downfall of the black family structure. All the way up to mass incarceration and adding stipulations to welfare. We can't act like we did this to ourselves.

I remember Trevor Noah said something that really stuck with me. He said that in South Africa, the government/white people basically acknowledged to the people they oppressed that..."yes, we did this to you...you're not crazy...you're not inherently inferior...WE DID THIS". This will never happen in the U.S. People will forever find ways to say it's 100% black people fault, and if you blame whites you're stupid or crazy.
On the bold and underlined, I am being honest about history and the fact that black men can choose not to buy into the idea that they are powerless or inferior. I provided examples that counter the idea that black men are powerless or inferior. If black men want to be leaders within black families, communities, and the nation at large, they can be.

I also stated that the embracing of black inferiority by black people is the biggest issue in black America. IMO it is an all encompassing issue/problem and speaking about all these side topics that are not as important as this psychological issue (or social engineering as you called it) will never solve the underlying issue - the fact that many black people truly do believe they are incapable of doing things and are powerless in changing even their own individual circumstances or that we act worse than other people just because we are black (I know you have seen the many social media posts/comments/videos about what "black people need to_______" from other blacks. That is a symptom of this huge psychological issue in our demographic).

On the blue, black people in general have been socially engineered (psychologically damaged) in this country by white supremacy racism - this is exactly what I intended to portray in my comments. See above comments - many of us still voluntarily comply with the idea that we are powerless, incapable, and less intelligent (i.e. inferior). It also makes you truly believe that your family is "damaged" or "destroyed" or more inferior than a white family. You see yourself as "less than" others just because you are black. You can choose to change that about your mindset (and this is a general "you" and not you directly).

On S. Africa and their admittance of their wrong doing, honestly, the need for you of having some white person/government tell you that they are sorry and they did you wrong, and sorry if this comes off as harsh as I don't mean it to be, but that is an example of placing too much value on whites and government in general. Why do you need them to apologize to you? What good will it do for you and what good has it done for black S. Africans? Not much by what I can tell. Their recent activists and ancestors, like our own did the best they could under horrendous circumstances and those of us alive today have benefited from various struggles and victories of our activists and ancestors. We should not be looking for whites to fix things for us or apologize to us because words mean nothing.

I mentioned the historical topics I did mention because those epochs and those people only wanted opportunity and they did not advocate for whites to apologize to them. They were black men who were leaders and who wanted to advance by ourselves (again refer to the quote from Douglass from the previous poster) without any needed role by whites or government at large other than to provide us with the same rights and protections as other people.

Our culture is filled with activism and community service, that cultural tenet is the very reason why we have the opportunities today to do what we want and build healthy families and healthy lives. Whites are not stopping black men today from being leaders. They are stopping themselves by their own actions and behavior and embracing an idea that whites are superior to them.

On the pink, I've never said that blacks don't have more single parents; however, we always have and it has never been any huge overarching problem from a social perspective in regards to the topics people are speaking of in this thread - social/psychological problems (as noted, IMO white supremacy is the biggest psychological problem of black America, not single mothers lol), our children being raised to be criminals - there are less today with more single parents; education - we are more highly educated today than ever before with more single parents, etc. Practically all of the things whites are saying we are "at-risk" for due to single parenting does not occur to a wide degree. If you look at actual information from 1965 to today, you'd see this is the truth. So I'm not saying that single parenting is not high in black America. Just that it does not cause the ails people are saying it does in reality. When I speak, I don't speak in "risks" or "what ifs" I speak on what actually has or is occurring. And none of what they are saying is or will occur has occurred to any wide degree.

I also did state that the main thing I don't like about single parenting today is the fact that single parents have less income than 2 parent households. So I am actually "for" more blacks having healthy relationships and being married because I believe it will increase the economic situation of black America on the whole, finances, wealth and economics is the only thing that is effected by being a single parent and I am very much "for" growing income and then wealth in the black community and I know full well that it is better to do so on a family basis with a two income household. But social problems aren't the big deal many of you are making it out to be and I'm not going to co-sign any "risk" that haven't happened and don't happen to any wide degree.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A majority of your post is factless opinion and not reality.

Of course your story isn't similar to a majority of blacks today. What an absurd statement. The road to success, of getting to middle class or higher is based on 3 things, finish high school, work fulltime, and dont' get married and have kids until you're 21.
All you did was give one example, which was to brag about yourself, and then say that's what happens to a majority of blacks.
The reason people are better off today is technology. The reason people are worse off today is welfare.

And a vast majority of the population, no matter what their skin color is, will have a much harder time coming from a single parent family. Common sense, reason, and logic tells us that.

becasue government welfare will take care of them

This doesn't mean anything.
Sigh...a majority of black people do the things in the bold and a majority of us are middle class lol.

I didn't brag about myself to act like I am some special negro. I told my story because it is repeated everyday in black America, yet you and others want to act like it isn't and that all of us are high school drop outs who have kids when we are teens and do poorly in life - you espouse the idea of black inferiority.

Maybe welfare made your own life horrible, but I'm doing fine and my mom actually was on welfare when I was a kid.

My upbringing with a single mother and involved father in the 1980s and 1990s without any overarching racism in my life was much better than all of my grandparents who were born into poor "in tact" families in the 1930s. And FWIW all of my grandparents had decent jobs and lives, but mine is better than theirs and my life was easier than theirs as well growing up. Common sense and knowledge about the history of blacks in this country in the 20th century would tell you this is true. Enduring overt racism in every aspect of your life and having parents who were limited in education and employment opportunities is worse for a child than having a single parent who is not limited except by their own behavior and decisions as that one parent can do things to make your life better.

Though my mom dropped out of high school and was a single teenage welfare mom when I was born, she turned her life around because she wanted better for me and my brother. She got a GED, she got a college degree and she opened her own business. Her story is also often repeated in black America today.

Many of you are stuck in very biased, unrealistic views of the black demographic today and our experiences.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times

Too bad Moynihan didn't do a little more research of his own.

Yes, black were deep into poverty in 1965. But their poverty was even worse just after WWII - something Moynihan was unaware of. Blacks had been steadily working their way OUT of that horrific poverty during the entire period. Thy still had a long way to go before equaling the prosperity of other races, but they had made a lot of progress. And all without the slightest help from government.

Then the "help" that Moynihan was crying for, got enacted... and the progress blacks were making came to a screeching halt.

See the chart above.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Too bad Moynihan didn't do a little more research of his own.

Yes, black were deep into poverty in 1965. But their poverty was even worse just after WWII - something Moynihan was unaware of. Blacks had been steadily working their way OUT of that horrific poverty during the entire period. Thy still had a long way to go before equaling the prosperity of other races, but they had made a lot of progress. And all without the slightest help from government.

Then the "help" that Moynihan was crying for, got enacted... and the progress blacks were making came to a screeching halt.

See the chart above.

The chart you posted shows that incomes increased for black Americans between 1965 and 2000, so why do you believe that it came to a "screeching halt." Recently black incomes also increase over the past couple years by about 6%.

And note, poverty was bad for blacks in 1965 because of racism. It was worse in the 1940s because there was worse racism back then. Both eras had limited opportunities for black Americans income-wise. Blacks worked ourselves out of racism due to the climax of the CRM of that period and a significant amount of whites back then didn't even want blacks to be a part of the CRM because they felt that we should just "wait" and shut up like society always does. MLK Jr. said the white moderate was worse than the KKK BTW.

LOL, you people are hilarious around here.

Will also note that the paragraphs on your chart are not from the census bureau. Someone created them and made a pic and you all just go find or create pictures that support what you think. I looked up the link and got a notice that the link was unavailable.

They do however have spreadsheets detailing the poverty levels and incomes by race from 1965 to 2016 and black poverty has been decreased in half and incomes have risen since that time period.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:06 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You have no interest in addressing my point.....but then you go on to say "BUT I WOULD LIKE YOU TO READ....."

What you said was bull****. Plain bull****, and you know it is bull****.

You start ranting about some 43% standard, because that is the current gap. But how is that the standard? The gap was only about 14% in 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...mily_structure

Your mention of this 43% standard, is so that you can make the claim that the white out-of-wedlock birth rate has been rising more-quickly than the black rate. Presumably to make some point, that the reason the black family is the way it is, is because of "RACIAL OPPRESSION OF BLACKS".

As Thomas Sowell said, if it were actually true that the breakdown of the black family was the result of slavery and/or oppression, then it should have been worse in the past than it is today, but exactly the opposite is true. And whether the gap has been closing, doesn't mean things are getting better for blacks, it is getting worse not better.

And I think you know this, so I had no interest in addressing your claims. Because you don't even believe them, and no sane person does either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GklCBvS-eI

Instead of wasting time on what you said, I preferred instead of give a more reasonable hypothesis. Which could explain not only the black out-of-wedlock birth rate, but also the exploding white out-of-wedlock birth rate. Which I presume you don't think is the result of racial oppression against whites.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:42 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

I know you are mad at me, but I would really like you to watch this video. If you can't watch the entire thing, please watch from about ~3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsHNzp5SoM

Contrast his discussion about dependency with my Thomas Jefferson quote...

"Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition."

I have long been of the belief that the only way virtue can be sustained, is through independence. It is almost impossible to be both virtuous and dependent.

My reference to the black farmer, was to point-out this simple truth, the more independent you become, the more virtuous you become. And as I said, I don't simply mean dependent on the government, I also mean dependent on employers and even the market.

True independence is self-sufficiency, to not need anything from anyone else.

The rich are not independent. And as the world becomes more dependent on the market, and the government, virtue must die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies