Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 06:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yet around 1960 70% of blacks came from 2 parent families, now it's 30 percent. So you're saying society as well as laws are more racist now? Slavery has a greater influence now thean in 1960? Quit playing the race card.
What you are talking about? Your comprehension is lacking. I am speaking about ethnicity and culture. You are playing the race card. Whether you like or not, the maintainence of original cultures likely would have made a difference. There is a reason why so many West/Central African societies have lower OOW birthrates that even White Americans. It's the maintainence of the same cultures and traditions rippred from Black Americans.

But some of you are so race-focused that you don't understand the importance of culture, tradition and religion. Learn to think outside of the race box. I understand your culture is extremely racial but make an effort.

Further, why are you lying about statistics? Using the rates from 10 years ago is dishonest and shows your desperation. The OOW birth rate for blacks as recent as 2015, is 59.6%. For Hispanics, it is 67.4%. For non-hispanic whites, it is 31.6% and 40.4%, including Hispanic whites. and for Asians it is 20.4%

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr66/nvsr66_01.pdf

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-03-2017 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Sigh...a majority of black people are from single parent homes and kids from single parent families will not succeed at the same rates as 2 parent families, lol

You're the only one saying that all blacks are high school drop outs. You shouldn't make things up about others. It makes you sound uneducated.

You're the only one saying blacks are inferior. But why discuss the facts when one can falsely play the race card? Again kids from single parent families will not succeed at the same rates as 2 parent families. Explain to me what you don't understand about that. An educated person would understand that and not falsely play the race card. But you wont respond to that statement because it doesn't fit your twisted agenda of playing the race card.

It's not about you princess, it's about the facts.

So it's more racist today or it's not? If not then explain why blacks are much more likely to be from single parent families? Explain why the percentage of all groups has increased but not nearly as much as blacks. Can't be because of welfare could it?

It's not about you princess, it's about the facts.

You made this up. Your post is nothing more than deflection.

"At one time, almost all black families were poor, regardless of whether one or both parents were present. Today roughly 30 percent of blacks are poor. However, two-parent black families are rarely poor. Only 8 percent of black married-couple families live in poverty. Among black families in which both the husband and wife work full time, the poverty rate is under 5 percent. Poverty in black families headed by single women is 37 percent. The undeniable truth is that neither slavery nor Jim Crow nor the harshest racism has decimated the black family the way the welfare state has."

https://www.creators.com/read/walter...-states-legacy

I never said that blacks don't have high single parenting rates BTW. We do; however, with those high rates the demographic is better today on all fronts economically and educationally than 1965. The demographic's crime rate is down since the 1970s through 1990s. This all occurred when the OOW birthrate went past 70%. So evidently it is not as negative of a thing as you are making it out to be.

Poverty was worse for all blacks when oppressive racism was at play between 1900 and 1975 (and I'm not speaking of Jim Crow - I'm not from the south and my maternal family did not experience Jim Crow especially - however even in the north there was oppressive systematic racism that blacks endured that limited them economically especially as it relates to jobs). Do you deny this - that poverty was worse? If you do, you are being willfully ignorant on this subject. These things did not improve because of welfare. Social welfare programs cannot help people get a better education and especially not a higher income. These things happened because of the strength and perseverance of black families over the decades and the dedication that the demographic has always had in improving educational attainment and to strive to get better economically.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:20 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Those programs where great but how effective were they overall? I think Green_mariner explained the most effective part of the plan.
Some of the most effecting things there were in the plan was getting people better access to jobs and schools. With discrimination being criminalized, people actually had more choices. As for welfare, no one really has to be on welfare. There are times when people need welfare to get back on their feet. However, there is one thing many people are not thinking of. The role of the man in the family. There were cases of Black women chose welfare over their husbands. And the rate of fatherless homes within the African-American population was already higher than any other population. With no fault divorce, and the rise of "I don't need a man", well, that did alot of damage to families, and not just Black families.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And those who were able to get out of the ghetto did just that, went where the pickings were better. One thing the Great Society programs did was criminalize discrimination. People were free to move wherever they wanted. Want better schools? Move somewhere else. Many Blacks started doing that.
True, but that was much-needed legislation rather than an entitlement program.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:16 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
True, but that was much-needed legislation rather than an entitlement program.
I know that. There are those who will see the Great Society as a bad thing. What I had to say was in response to someone saying that it didn't help Blacks. There were many that it did help. We have more Blacks in the middle class today than back in the 60s. The important legislation you speak of played a role.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know that. There are those who will see the Great Society as a bad thing. What I had to say was in response to someone saying that it didn't help Blacks. There were many that it did help. We have more Blacks in the middle class today than back in the 60s. The important legislation you speak of played a role.
Well sure, but I don't think anyone is begrudging that part of LBJ's tenure.

Things like the Civil Rights Act were long overdue.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
another post about Black folk?

the obsession continues

Old 11-03-2017, 03:29 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Those programs where great but how effective were they overall?
This is a good question, because - remember? "in 1964, urban riots began within black neighborhoods in New York City and Los Angeles. By 1968 hundreds[citation needed] of cities had major African-American riots that caused a severe conservative political backlash."

The reforms staved off these riots for some time, however they are really never far away.
So when one questions the effectiveness of the programs," the effectiveness should be measured in more ways than one.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It was a buy off by the democrats for votes. LBJ said as he expanded welfare. " I will have those ni***ers voting democrat for the next 200 years. LBJ the racist was right. LBJ the democratic president bought their vote with tax payer monies.

Show me the money and I will show you who bought the power.
60 years later he's still proved right. Another 140 to go.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Of course FDR started a "welfare state," since laissez-faire ( i.e. "wild capitalism") is a failure concept.
lol you don't know what you're talking about. Laissez-faire is not wild capitalism. The crash happened for the same reason it almost always happens govenment involved in easy lending. Laissez-faire got us out of the depression in the early 1920s. In two years time UE went from 12 to under 4. Yea that didn't work.

Quote:
And of course welfare programs helped a great deal of people, ( Blacks and Whites alike) who otherwise would be worked to death and then disposed of, like a waste.opportunities" and "hard work" that "brings success" - why should I even waste my time here further?
lol You made this up. Stop with the false scenarios.

Quote:
That's capitalism 101 for you.
Many forms of capitalism. That you don't understannd that isn't surprising. Free market capitalism gives one choices.

Quote:
And of course choosing between jobs that pay pennies and keep you in the grinder day in and day out, and "free money" that cover the same necessities as that meager check does, the majority of people probably choose the latter. It's only natural.
So stop the welfare state, and stop government involvement in the economy which doesn't work and causes our booms and busts.

Quote:
But since you apparently like to promote fairy-tales about "equal opportunities" and "hard work" that "brings success" - why should I even waste my time here further?
Your entire post is garbage. You made things up and you have little credibility on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies