Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 04:30 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You have pulled numbers out of thin air.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
I presented numbers from 1965, according to the Brookings Institute. How could the rate for whites be 10% in 1960 when it was 3% in 1965?

Quote:
Obviously you are changing numbers to get the answer you want.
You don't know what you're talking about. You actually think 97 percent of white families in 1965 were 2 parent families?
Because of your inability to process information you've completely screwed up. There is a difference between being born out of wedlock and being in a single parent family.

In the 1960s 10 percent of whites and 30 percent of blacks came from single parent families.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 11-02-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
There was a program that screwed up black people in this country pretty much forever.

It was called slavery. And this slavery led to a particular brand of eugenics to breed the strongest, most docile/subservient slave.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sigh...a majority of black people do the things in the bold and a majority of us are middle class lol.
Sigh...a majority of black people are from single parent homes and kids from single parent families will not succeed at the same rates as 2 parent families, lol

Quote:
I didn't brag about myself to act like I am some special negro. I told my story because it is repeated everyday in black America, yet you and others want to act like it isn't and that all of us are high school drop outs who have kids when we are teens and do poorly in life -
You're the only one saying that all blacks are high school drop outs. You shouldn't make things up about others. It makes you sound uneducated.

Quote:
you espouse the idea of black inferiority.
You're the only one saying blacks are inferior. But why discuss the facts when one can falsely play the race card? Again kids from single parent families will not succeed at the same rates as 2 parent families. Explain to me what you don't understand about that. An educated person would understand that and not falsely play the race card. But you wont respond to that statement because it doesn't fit your twisted agenda of playing the race card.

Quote:
Maybe welfare made your own life horrible, but I'm doing fine and my mom actually was on welfare when I was a kid.
It's not about you princess, it's about the facts.

Quote:
My upbringing with a single mother and involved father in the 1980s and 1990s without any overarching racism in my life was much better than all of my grandparents who were born into poor "in tact" families in the 1930s. And FWIW all of my grandparents had decent jobs and lives, but mine is better than theirs and my life was easier than theirs as well growing up. Common sense and knowledge about the history of blacks in this country in the 20th century would tell you this is true. Enduring overt racism in every aspect of your life and having parents who were limited in education and employment opportunities is worse for a child than having a single parent who is not limited except by their own behavior and decisions as that one parent can do things to make your life better.
So it's more racist today or it's not? If not then explain why blacks are much more likely to be from single parent families? Explain why the percentage of all groups has increased but not nearly as much as blacks. Can't be because of welfare could it?

Quote:
Though my mom dropped out of high school and was a single teenage welfare mom when I was born, she turned her life around because she wanted better for me and my brother. She got a GED, she got a college degree and she opened her own business. Her story is also often repeated in black America today.
It's not about you princess, it's about the facts.

Quote:
Many of you are stuck in very biased, unrealistic views of the black demographic today and our experiences.
You made this up. Your post is nothing more than deflection.

"At one time, almost all black families were poor, regardless of whether one or both parents were present. Today roughly 30 percent of blacks are poor. However, two-parent black families are rarely poor. Only 8 percent of black married-couple families live in poverty. Among black families in which both the husband and wife work full time, the poverty rate is under 5 percent. Poverty in black families headed by single women is 37 percent. The undeniable truth is that neither slavery nor Jim Crow nor the harshest racism has decimated the black family the way the welfare state has."

https://www.creators.com/read/walter...-states-legacy

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 11-02-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 04:55 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
People in this country have an equal opportunity for success.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-02-2017 at 05:09 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 04:56 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
LBJ's "Great Society" programs was never about improving Black lives.

It was about getting the Black Vote. LBJ very infamously said it himself. (he sure loved the N-word)

If this meant keeping them on that Democrat Plantation then so be it.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. You actually think 97 percent of white families in 1965 were 2 parent families?
Because of your inability to process information you've completely screwed up. There is a difference between being born out of wedlock and being in a single parent family.
Right.
But I ask you again - where did it all start?
Was it Black America coming up with all these ideas of "sexual freedom," or White America?
And who ultimately benefited from this movement after all? And if it's not Blacks, then why are you still pointing your finger at them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMuaWjexnWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G333Is7VPOg

Old 11-02-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Right.
But I ask you again - where did it all start?
Again? lol You never asked before did you? I said in a previous post, it started with FDR and his welfare.

Quote:
Was it Black America coming up with all these ideas of "sexual freedom," or White America?
Although interesting, it's not about the sexual revolution. It's about welfare.

Quote:
And who ultimately benefited from this movement after all? And if it's not Blacks, then why are you still pointing your finger at them?
I'm not pointing the finger at them, that's just something you made up. Overall no one benfits from the welfare "movement".

Now lets see if you can process information. Blacks, percentage wise, are on welfare at much higher rates. Blacks, percentage wise, come from single parent families. Children from single parent families have a smaller chance of success than two parent families.
Do you see the connection between welfare and single parent families yet?

Again
Only 8 percent of black married-couple families live in poverty. Among black families in which both the husband and wife work full time, the poverty rate is under 5 percent. Poverty in black families headed by single women is 37 percent.

You have to quit falsely playing the race card. Again when one comes from a single parent family their chances for success diminishes. That has nothing to do with race.
I'd love to hear your reasoning on why an overwhelming majority of blacks are from single parent families. Especially when society is less racist today.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 11-02-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 08:15 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again? lol You never asked before did you?
Yes I did. You probably missed it.

Quote:
I said in a previous post, it started with FDR and his welfare.
No it did not. You mistakenly think that "Great society" ( the OP is talking about) and "welfare for single mothers" is one and the same thing.
In reality it's not.

Quote:
Although interesting, it's not about the sexual revolution. It's about welfare.
One doesn't go without the other. They go hand in hand.
If you look specifically into the history of AFDC ( "Aid to Dependent Children" - that SPECIFIC part of the welfare program,) you'll notice that America governed by Whites resisted it as long as it could - and for a good reason, taking in consideration White Christian background of the country. The people on top were afraid of precisely what you are talking about I assume - potential rise of children born out of wedlock, and children of color in particular.

Quote:
I'm not pointing the finger at them, that's just something you made up. Overall no one benfits from the welfare "movement".
Wrong again. Plenty of low-income women benefited from it in the US - both White and Black.

Quote:
Now lets see if you can process information. Blacks, percentage wise, are on welfare at much higher rates.
Yes they are, and since I am politically-incorrect person, I see two reasons for that;
reason number one - Blacks don't fair well in the hi-tech world built by Whites,
and number two - they are poorer than Whites to begin with, as a direct result of the slavery legacy.
Since the COL in the US ( and other developed countries) is rather high ( particularly when it comes to raising children,) it's quite natural that Blacks would end up on public assistance.

Quote:
Blacks, percentage wise, come from single parent families. Children from single parent families have a smaller chance of success than two parent families.
When it comes to developed countries, ( and US in particular,) this would be definitely a case, because of financial situation alone ( but not limited to it.) The US overall is not well-equipped for dealing with the whole "women emancipation" issue ( see the White Christian background of the country.)

Quote:
Do you see the connection between welfare and single parent families yet?
Yes I do, but unlike you, I key in the poverty factor as well. And when I key that poverty factor in, the difference between a child born into one-parent family and a child born into two-parents family is not all that big. In fact I understand Black ( or any women at the bottom of society); why putting up with infidelity/abuse? It's not worth it, and they fair better being single mothers. It's a different story for women protected by money of course.

Quote:
Again
Only 8 percent of black married-couple families live in poverty. Among black families in which both the husband and wife work full time, the poverty rate is under 5 percent. Poverty in black families headed by single women is 37 percent.
So what are you trying to say here?
That Black women are somehow miraculously avoiding those happy marriages with successful Black males and prefer to have children all alone instead?
Or your point is that Black women shouldn't have children unless they are married ( successfully at that?)
In this case it would be convenient from YOUR point of view, but not from THEIR point of view. Because there are not enough of successful, financially-stable, marriage-minded Black men to go around, so these women will end up having no husband and no children at all ( which would be convenient from your point of view as I've said, but not theirs.)
And if you'd like to make it a rule for Blacks to not to have children born out of wedlock, then on which ground? Based on Christian beliefs? But then you'll have to go back to the square one and look where the whole "sexual revolution" thing came from.

Quote:
You have to quit falsely playing the race card. Again when one comes from a single parent family their chances for success diminishes. That has nothing to do with race.
Oh, race has a lot to do with it. Look even how people of color identify what family is, vs the typical White American understanding of what "family" is. So all these Hillary claims "it takes a village to raise a child" is foreign ( and false) to White America concept. But it's a right concept for Africa.
Another thing - when you are talking about "single parent" family, your statement is correct, unless we are talking about an educated woman with tonnes of money. Then the outlook changes all of a sudden. See how this works, and how the way you are connecting dots becomes faulty?

Quote:
I'd love to hear your reasoning on why an overwhelming majority of blacks are from single parent families.
Especially when society is less racist today.
My reasoning is that not all women are the same, and Black women are more compatible with ideas of matriarchate, being in charge of the family, children, and so on. So when she has the marriage-minded man around - fine, but if not, she'll go ahead and do what's natural for her. I mean it has been mentioned here, that there was no "marriage institution" in Africa, the way it has been established in Christian Europe, no? All this of course goes against the very foundation of the US, but I never said that White American culture and Black American culture are compatible at their very core.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 PM

73,047 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This interview was done just before the Great Society programs were put in place in 1965. So the black family issues that many today blame on the Great Society programs were already present before these programs were put into place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6vwbukjyY
I've been saying this over and over, and it falls on deaf ears. Issues affecting Black families have been around long before welfare came around. The Black population led the US in out of wedlock births and fatherless homes going back to the 1930s. There was a welfare program in the 30s for women whose husbands left them/or were deceased. Only White women could take part on that program. Black women didn't have many options. Didn't stop the out of wedlock birth rate from being 5-6 times higher than the White out of wedlock birth rate.

https://academic.udayton.edu/race/04...welfare01b.htm

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ica-since-1935

Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 PM

73,047 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
What Great Society program was intended to help black families?
The civil rights part was intended to help Black people. Civil Rights Act. Voting Rights Act. Fair Housing Act. Basically, legislation to prevent discrimination based on race. That was meant to help Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies