Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 03:16 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,246,687 times

Advertisements

Imagine if laws were passed to take firearms from citizens and it became common knowledge to criminals that the population was unarmed, would we be safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 03:29 PM

10,587 posts, read 4,116,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yet, today many white Americans feel guilty for something in which that had nothing to do with, and Africans themselves profited from the slave trade. Not to mention most of the African slaves went to countries other than the United States. However, our Democrat politicians, Media, and Educational system makes a living out of polarizing us over race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.

The politicians seem to have no motivation to stop inner city violent crime.
And they never will. The best way to get people to look to you as a leader, is to drive some sort of fear in them. What better way then to allow violent and deadly criminal activity happen, and as a politician, use it as a talking point on how they will fight to protect you, but then their opponents and judges will conveniently wil sop their bills or proposals so nothing gets done.

Long story short, Washington, City Hall, the US military industrial complex, all of these powerhouses would not survive or function if the whole world were friends and got along. They need the chaos to keep their fingers around our throats.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:55 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,678,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If more guns make us safer, why are we not the safest country?

More guns don't make us safer.

More guns combined with the freedom to carry them anywhere we like, makes us safer. Too bad the gun control advocates keep refusing us that freedom... in direct violation of the U.S. Constitution.

If all laws restricting gun ownership and carry were repealed, most people still wouldn't bother to carry a gun. But a few would. nd some guy planning to mug and old lady, or assault someone at an ATM - or even shoot up a church in Texas - wouldn't know if someone in the crowd nearby was carrying in a pocket or purse. But he could be fairly sure that a one or two people were.

And some criminals would decide not to commit their crime in the first place because of that. Presto - a reduction in crime. And without a shot being fired.

The problem is not the number of guns. It's the lack of freedom for responsible, law-abiding people to carry them.

Guns are not the problem. "Gun control" is the problem.

True enough. (sigh) The disarmament advocates cannot wrap their heads around simple concepts and because of some manner of dysfunction cannot accept certain things as fact. They have been successful in disarming people in a lot of the urban areas where their doctrines hold sway in city governments. The result of this has been the take over of governance in these areas by criminal enterprise. Well funded, and well armed gangs.

Their biggest dysfunction is that they just have no stomach for reality. The mere thought of fighting back, answering violence with violence, causes malodorous messes to accumulate in their pants. I personally find violence distasteful. When it's done upon me or my loved ones particularly so. So, being as we have the choice to be able to fight back against violent criminals where I currently reside I choose that option. I do not have any desire to have to exercise that option, but both myself and a loved one have had to do so.

And to put it colloquially, it really sucked. But it's a fact of life that there may come a time where we are forced to have to do something we would rather not do. Wishing that things could have been different, wanting things to be different, isn't going to change a thing. There are violent people out here in the real world who want to do we and our loved ones harm. Many of them for no better reason than they like hurting people.

There is only one viable method for dealing with these people. To do violence upon them before they do that and worse to you. I have a hatred of these predators that I can't even begin to describe. To be totally honest I spend an inordinate amount of mental/emotional energy wishing and wanting that these people didn't exist. But they are still there. Just like the police we cannot be with our loved ones every second of every day to protect them and it will invariably be such a time one of these vermin will strike.

There is no more sickening and wrenching feeling than getting a phone call from the hospital telling you a dearest loved one is in their ER. They do not tell you why, only that you need to get there. Then being met by a cop, who tells you your loved one has been attacked. Then they want you to talk to them before you see your loved one and can talk to the doctor. It's like being chained down while someone you care about is slipping off a cliff just inches away.

And these disarmament types want us to submit to the vermin. Rely on the police. Self defense is anathema to them. They view it with more disgust than they do the predators. They label armed citizens as "cultists", "gun nuts", and far, far worse. My loved one successfully defended herself. But she was far from unscathed, and far worse would have been done had she not fought back. With violence totally out of character. Having to do so left one of the biggest and most serious wounds.

What is it that these rely on the police, submit to the criminals wants, nothing is worth taking a lfe to defend types expect of us? That we accept all their worthless phsycobabble about underprivelege, lashing out with rage because of that, understanding what triggers such actions? It really doesn't matter WHY someone commits such a crime. All that matters is they do, and what would happen to us if we don't fight back. With lethal force if necessary, which it most often is.

Denying us the best means to do so will result in our death or serious injury or worse. Is that somehow preferable to the predator being killed or seriously injured? It would seem so to many minds. Yet these minds somehow see "common sense" in their proposals and enactments of taking away peoples means to defend themselves. They speak of "solutions", but there s no solution to the fact that there are dangerous and hyper violent threats out here. But disarming the latter peoples prey seems to make these rabbit people feel better. They disdain and demean people who pray, yet try and wish the evil in the world away. And call it "common sense."

I still carry a gun for defensive use. I train regularly and have my whole life. I couldn't be there when my loved one was attacked and nothing will ever bring her back to me. But that doesn't mean I have to just accept that and throw in the defensive towel. Wishing that we didn't live in a dangerous and violent world won't make it so. There's a lot of people who need to come to grips with that reality.....

Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,878,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
True enough. (sigh) The disarmament advocates cannot wrap their heads around simple concepts and because of some manner of dysfunction cannot accept certain things as fact. They have been successful in disarming people in a lot of the urban areas where their doctrines hold sway in city governments. The result of this has been the take over of governance in these areas by criminal enterprise. Well funded, and well armed gangs.

Their biggest dysfunction is that they just have no stomach for reality. The mere thought of fighting back, answering violence with violence, causes malodorous messes to accumulate in their pants. I personally find violence distasteful. When it's done upon me or my loved ones particularly so. So, being as we have the choice to be able to fight back against violent criminals where I currently reside I choose that option. I do not have any desire to have to exercise that option, but both myself and a loved one have had to do so.

And to put it colloquially, it really sucked. But it's a fact of life that there may come a time where we are forced to have to do something we would rather not do. Wishing that things could have been different, wanting things to be different, isn't going to change a thing. There are violent people out here in the real world who want to do we and our loved ones harm. Many of them for no better reason than they like hurting people.

There is only one viable method for dealing with these people. To do violence upon them before they do that and worse to you. I have a hatred of these predators that I can't even begin to describe. To be totally honest I spend an inordinate amount of mental/emotional energy wishing and wanting that these people didn't exist. But they are still there. Just like the police we cannot be with our loved ones every second of every day to protect them and it will invariably be such a time one of these vermin will strike.

There is no more sickening and wrenching feeling than getting a phone call from the hospital telling you a dearest loved one is in their ER. They do not tell you why, only that you need to get there. Then being met by a cop, who tells you your loved one has been attacked. Then they want you to talk to them before you see your loved one and can talk to the doctor. It's like being chained down while someone you care about is slipping off a cliff just inches away.

And these disarmament types want us to submit to the vermin. Rely on the police. Self defense is anathema to them. They view it with more disgust than they do the predators. They label armed citizens as "cultists", "gun nuts", and far, far worse. My loved one successfully defended herself. But she was far from unscathed, and far worse would have been done had she not fought back. With violence totally out of character. Having to do so left one of the biggest and most serious wounds.

What is it that these rely on the police, submit to the criminals wants, nothing is worth taking a lfe to defend types expect of us? That we accept all their worthless phsycobabble about underprivelege, lashing out with rage because of that, understanding what triggers such actions? It really doesn't matter WHY someone commits such a crime. All that matters is they do, and what would happen to us if we don't fight back. With lethal force if necessary, which it most often is.

Denying us the best means to do so will result in our death or serious injury or worse. Is that somehow preferable to the predator being killed or seriously injured? It would seem so to many minds. Yet these minds somehow see "common sense" in their proposals and enactments of taking away peoples means to defend themselves. They speak of "solutions", but there s no solution to the fact that there are dangerous and hyper violent threats out here. But disarming the latter peoples prey seems to make these rabbit people feel better. They disdain and demean people who pray, yet try and wish the evil in the world away. And call it "common sense."

I still carry a gun for defensive use. I train regularly and have my whole life. I couldn't be there when my loved one was attacked and nothing will ever bring her back to me. But that doesn't mean I have to just accept that and throw in the defensive towel. Wishing that we didn't live in a dangerous and violent world won't make it so. There's a lot of people who need to come to grips with that reality.....
But, these "vermin" who committed the last 2 massacres were seen as upstanding citizens- the guy in las vegas was in a luxury suite in hotel with all the amenities ,
the Texas shooter was one of our own, in the military, who was not seen unfit enough to have his right to own weapons removed.

The reality (and three people I grew up with in two different states, all had either siblings or a parent SHOT to death in southern, pro-gun owning states) is that the "vermin" most likely to SHOOT and KILL you, are your friends or known acquaintances - and clearly there is not enough of a safety net to prevent these crimes.

Although I have to say, if we could take violence seriously (no its not ok to beat your wife or torture your dog daily), more violent crimes could be prevented.

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 11-07-2017 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: correction on number of states

Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,678,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
But, these "vermin" who committed the last 2 massacres were seen as upstanding citizens- the guy in las vegas was in a luxury suite in hotel with all the amenities ,
the Texas shooter was one of our own, in the military, who was not seen unfit enough to have his right to own weapons removed.

The reality (and three people I grew up with in two different states, all had either siblings or a parent SHOT to death in southern, pro-gun owning states) is that the "vermin" most likely to SHOOT and KILL you, are your friends or known acquaintances - and clearly there is not enough of a safety net to prevent these crimes.

Although I have to say, if we could take violence seriously (no its not ok to beat your wife or torture your dog daily), more violent crimes could be prevented.

Truly, some of the worst serial killers in history were described as quiet, unassuming, friendly, good neighbors etc. A friend of mine going all the way back to high school was just not long ago murdered by her boyfriend. Often enough perpetrators of violent crime, murder, are family , friends, lovers and such. Many victims of such people suffer in silence for long periods, knowing their character, but hiding it from everyone else.

Domestic/family related violence s a tough nut to crack. If you are on the outside looking in at things, and something brings the hair on your neck up, it often pays to be the nosey, butt insky friend. In the case of the TX killer, he was seen as unfit to own firearms. His records were just not put into the database.The Vegas shooter. What we do know that has been released says he was Mr upstanding. Didn't fit any profiles. There's something really weird about that case. And we aren't hearing anything more about it. Which is weird as well.

Oh, I agree whole heartedly that we need to take violence seriously. No, it is NOT OK to beat your wife or torture your dog. If you know of such things happening, you have a duty to speak up. To someone. Preferably someone who can do something about it. Fear often keeps people from doing so. Fear of retaliation, fear of being wrong whatever. But we can't live in fear...

Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 PM

73,177 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please check to see who commits 50% of all murders.
Ok. What is your point? What do you want to happen?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,996,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Wow, this thread turned to race real quick. How surprising.
And, not surprisingly, a right-winger started it

Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,391,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If more guns make us safer, why are we not the safest country?
99% of the US is some of the safest places in the world. Its YOUR liberal ****holes that make the US look less safe.

If more guns make us less safe why has the violent crime rate been dropping for 30 years while 5,000,000 new guns are made or imported into the US every year?

Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Wrong. The Texas shooter was a felon dishonorably discharged (might want to look up what that means) who should not have been able to legally buy a firearm. It was a government screwup - under Obama - that allowed it.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
How about who commits 99% of the mass murders?
That would be democrats. Mass murders by NRA members? 0, zilch, nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies