Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,677,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Based on what statistics?

I hope you're being facetious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,656,473 times
There has been a solution available to us for years now. Centuries, in fact.

If all laws restricting gun ownership and carry were repealed, most people still wouldn't bother to carry a gun. But a few would. And some guy planning to mug an old lady, or assault someone at an ATM - or even shoot up a church in Texas - wouldn't know if someone in the crowd nearby was carrying in a pocket or purse. But he could be fairly sure that a one or two people were.

And some criminals would decide not to commit their crime in the first place because of that. Presto - a reduction in crime. And without a shot being fired.

And when a few truly insane ones go ahead and commit the crime anyway, let's just say their recidivism rate does down suddenly.

A good solution, producing far better and safer results than anything the so-called "gun control" advocate have ever offered.

Last edited by Roboteer; 11-08-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,417,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If more guns make us safer, why are we not the safest country?
If I make up a silly strawman position that no one holds, why won't anyone come and defend that silly position that they don't hold?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,411,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If I make up a silly strawman position that no one holds, why won't anyone come and defend that silly position that they don't hold?
So you agree that the proliferation of firearms does not make things safer?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 AM

35,787 posts, read 21,173,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I don't need to watch movies. I participated in real gunfights in urban areas in Israeli wars.
Body armor? You should take into account the psychological effect of "my god, i'm been shot!" and the fact that even with body armor you still get a real cinetyc hit that can push you off your feet.
You were at war- if a policeman leaves out in the morn- he know some time that day he may have to draw his/her weapon-soldier the same fed agent the same-- Are you going to church, grocery store, gym- kids school-- etc - all locked and loaded ready to shoot??? sir you need counseling - NOBODY should walk in that much fear on a daily basis in this country-

I have a semi auto in closet locked up for some very extreme times should they ever come- in the meantime I live my life and go about my business. This business of mass shooting is about insecure men-

Old 11-09-2017, 05:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,691,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You were at war- if a policeman leaves out in the morn- he know some time that day he may have to draw his/her weapon-soldier the same fed agent the same-- Are you going to church, grocery store, gym- kids school-- etc - all locked and loaded ready to shoot??? sir you need counseling - NOBODY should walk in that much fear on a daily basis in this country-

I have a semi auto in closet locked up for some very extreme times should they ever come- in the meantime I live my life and go about my business. This business of mass shooting is about insecure men-
I bet he also has life insurance when he is on the couch watching tv or in bed asleep even though he hasn't had to use it yet.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 AM

34,298 posts, read 18,677,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So you agree that the proliferation of firearms does not make things safer?
It is the proliferation of CRIMINALS that does not make "thing safer".

Old 11-09-2017, 05:41 AM

35,787 posts, read 21,173,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I bet he also has life insurance when he is on the couch watching tv or in bed asleep even though he hasn't had to use it yet.
Does he walk around with his ins paper in hand everywhere? what are you all thinking- the Russians are invading us? the Chinese? N koreans ,, tell me what is the BIG wait? what are you loaded up for ?
Me in the city (4 miles from downtown) have my stuff in the closet--for possible civil unrest or zombies-- neither which I expect in my lifetime.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,451,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
We have by far the most guns of any country on Earth with the highest rates of gun ownership. We also have the overwhelming majority of gun deaths, especially of women and children on the planet.

The safest countries on Earth have lower gun ownership and heavy gun restriction.

Which should not be the case based on pro-gun talking points. We should be the safest in the world with so many people owning guns.

Why the contradiction?

Two thirds of those homicides are actually suicides.

The overwhelming number of the actual homicides are committed by blacks.

Mass murders could be curtailed by ending gun-free zones.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:08 AM

16,774 posts, read 8,252,440 times
Without proper background checks and the ability to check manufacturers we will see more and more incident's as the mentally ill get more and more weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies