Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:03 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times

Advertisements

What the hell is a "straw purchase?"

Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Your argument is foolish. He already bought guns there before with no problem.
So why now does he magically have an issue? If that's the case. Either way he still believes this black guy with a clean record WILL commit a crime with the gun somehow.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:11 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Straw purchase if I'm not mistaken is when someone with a clean record buys guns for someone who can't legally buy them or doesn't want a paper trail. Gangs use this method often. It's how they get all those guns to shoot each other with.
The person who buys them will then claim the gun was stolen.
Straw Purchasing. Buying a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction is a "straw purchase." An illegal firearm purchase (straw purchase) is a federal crime.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
He thinks the black guy will illegally sell the gun to someone else.

full stop.

And the black dude said he purchased multiple guns from there. The only difference is the store owner wasn't there before. He purchased from other clerks. The black guy said "he didn't know I was a regular customer". That's how I know it's about race. He just saw a black guy walk in and refuse service, even when the black guy has purchased there before from other clerks and nothing indicating straw purchases.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:17 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The fact that the guy has one gun on layaway but comes in with the money to buy another gun (not the one on layaway) would make me believe that he is making a straw purchase.
The owner did the right thing.

RR
Yup, sometimes the devil is in the details.

Without that context, sure, someone just casually browsing the topic might think it could be racially motivated, white gun shop owner, black customer, yet that one detail shines new light on it.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:23 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, sometimes the devil is in the details.

Without that context, sure, someone just casually browsing the topic might think it could be racially motivated, white gun shop owner, black customer, yet that one detail shines new light on it.

Exactly! If he has the money to buy a gun. why is he not getting the gun that he already had on lay away?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The fact that the guy has one gun on layaway but comes in with the money to buy another gun (not the one on layaway) would make me believe that he is making a straw purchase.
The owner did the right thing.

RR

Indeed, that does send up a flare. If he had the money to pay for a gun and walk out with it why is he leaving another on layaway? Smells like a straw to me as well. And there is the tape that doesn't show the whole story. Screaming racism is the easy way for the guy to get back at the store owner for not selling him the gun. Since the guy is a regular patron the owner figured he had good reason to not allow the sale. Looks that way to me anyway.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly! If he has the money to buy a gun. why is he not getting the gun that he already had on lay away?
He probably had money for the cheaper gun that day. And the more expensive gun he would still make payments on. How is this hard to figure out?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed, that does send up a flare. If he had the money to pay for a gun and walk out with it why is he leaving another on layaway? Smells like a straw to me as well. And there is the tape that doesn't show the whole story. Screaming racism is the easy way for the guy to get back at the store owner for not selling him the gun. Since the guy is a regular patron the owner figured he had good reason to not allow the sale. Looks that way to me anyway.
The guy that refused to sell him the gun didn't even know he was a regular. He refused because he saw a black guy walk in. The black guy clearly bought guns no problem from other clerks who weren't racist in the shop.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
He probably had money for the cheaper gun that day. And the more expensive gun he would still make payments on. How is this hard to figure out?

Oh of course! Silly me. He only has money for a cheap gun not the expensive one. LMAO!!! People are too quick to use the race card these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies