Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I like how this blantanty bias thread was picked to be stickied.
Russia

764 posts, read 234,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Your ilk LOVED Stop & Frisk. Your ilk LOVE the Voter ID disenfranchisement. Your ilk LOVE circumventing a woman's right to choose. Your ilk LOVE the idea of revoking birthright citizenship. So spare us your appeal to Constitutionality b/c you know that the second your wishlist conflicts with the Constitution, you're going to be quick to look the other way

So my position? Screw the Constitutionality of the 2nd A and make you gun holders pay what you owe.
I am anti stop and frisk, pro voter I.D. (at the governments expense), O.K. with birthright citizenship, pro choice with late term restrictions........... so much for you assessment of "my ilk".

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
blantanty bias thread
TRANSLATION: I can't refute it.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
I am anti stop and frisk, pro voter I.D. (at the governments expense), O.K. with birthright citizenship, pro choice with late term restrictions........... so much for you assessment of "my ilk".
So 2 out of 4 you don't have a problem infringing on the constitutionality to see your way. Yeah... your ilk.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
So my position? Screw the Constitutionality of the 2nd A and make you gun holders pay what you owe.
A typical leftist "position". "I can't prove what I want is legal or even good for the country. So let's just disobey every law I don't like and steal from the people who object."

Note that thugs and other criminals have exactly the same position.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Again, I was clear that I have no answers. The simple point is I believe "something" needs to be done and this increase in such violent acts should not be ignored for the simple excuse of infringement of rights. I still don't understand why so many are afraid to equate change over time and its effects on written laws, rules & regulations.

I don't want to dig into those who have guns and use them responsibly. My whole thought process is for government and people getting away from strictly a hardware viewpoint of what needs to be done and think more psychologically, because again, it is people behind the guns deciding on how they will use them.

And why do those who hang onto rights think that everyone is saying take them all away? Forget the far left (or far right) and instead use some common sense. I personally never subscribe to wholesale change on any level.

A gun is a product sold by a business. So I have a "natural" right to get one. But some products have crossover purpose, and not all should subscribe to "natural", and that's just how I feel. Guns are for sport AND for killing, dual purpose. To continue to believe that "I'm free an can do anything I want" is what is slowly deteriorating society. And full government control of course is not the answer.

Yes, you are "free" to do anything you want, yes, you can do anything you chose to do, but you must also accept the responsibility of your actions, that is all a part of Liberty. Your Liberty stops when it infringes upon my Liberty.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Better to have the tax than allowing nut jobs (almost all couldn't afford the tax anyway) from running around shooting everyone they see on a whim.
In 1789, the Framers decided more people would suffer and die if govt had ANY authority to restrict or take away guns, than if the govt were forbidden to restrict or ban any of them.

They put a command into the Constitution saying "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." And they even put an explanatory clause before it, as normal English suggests: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state...". Even though that clause has no effect on the command, they included it so people would know why controversial things such as weapons were being given such ironclad protection. They did this with other parts of the Constitution too.

Most of the people who wrote and ratified the Constitution, and later added the Bill of Rights, were students of the history of government and the abuses it could inflict. And they knew that government after government had long records of disarming their own people, and then later inflicting serious abuse and oppression on them, sometimes even leading to mass murders of their own subjects. Our own Revolutionary war started in 1775 at Concord and Lexington, Mass., when soldiers of the British government tried to confiscate privately-owned weapons of the colonists.

And the Framers also knew that the people themselves were a far more effective deterrent to crime, than a hired police force who the criminals could identify by sight and dodge as it suited them when committing crimes.

Even if all so-called "gun control" laws were repealed and everybody was allowed to carry, most still wouldn't bother. But a few would. And the criminals would know that when they were contemplating committing a crime, a few people in the crowd would likely be carrying a gun and know how to use it. And would never know which person(s) it was, and so wouldn't know who to defend against. For many of the criminals, this would cause them to not commit the crime in the first place. The result would be a reduction in crime, without a shot being fired.

And even when we have an event where someone in our country grabs a gun and starts shooting, sometimes killing many innocent people, it remains a fact that there would be a lot MORE innocent people injured or dead if government had the power to take away or restrict our guns and other weapons. How many more potential muggers, rapists, and murderers would decide to commit their crimes if they were sure that nobody in the crowd could possibly have a gun of their own?

Today, far more such crimes are committed in so-called "gun free zones", where there are laws forbidding the carrying of guns in the area. Such laws protect the rapist or murderer from danger, of course, while disarming only the law-abiding.

And yet every time we have a shooting, whether it's in San Bernardino, Georgia disco, Ft. Hood military base, Las Vegas, or Douglas High School in Florida, the same panic-stricken talking heads do their best to throw the baby out with the bath water. They demand we give our government the authority to restrict or ban some or all of our guns.

Now, as floods follow a hurricane, they are doing the same thing again. Don't these people ever learn? Have they ever even bothered examining the reasons why the people who wrote and ratified the Constitution and BOR, decided unanimously to forbid all governments in the U.S. from infringing our right to own and carry guns? Despite their having just as much trouble with nutcases and guns then, as we do now?

If these shortsighted people get their way, we will see a lot more Americans oppressed, injured, and killed that we ever have outside of outright war. And if other governments' actions are anything to go by, our government could yet exceed even that total, if they get even a little authority. Because history also demonstrates that if you give them an inch they will eventually take a mile.

"More guns off the streets" is a BAD idea. It would let criminals commit more crimes in relative safety, while disarming only the law-abiding. If everyone were allowed to carry (i.e. if the 2nd amendment were obeyed for a change), most people still wouldn't bother. But criminals would be more cautious and fearful when committing crimes, and would do it less for fear of a few people out of the crowd probably being armed. And that would cause a reduction in crime, far more effectively than the latest useless attempt to "get guns off the streets".

Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Your ilk LOVED Stop & Frisk. Your ilk LOVE the Voter ID disenfranchisement. Your ilk LOVE circumventing a woman's right to choose. Your ilk LOVE the idea of revoking birthright citizenship. So spare us your appeal to Constitutionality b/c you know that the second your wishlist conflicts with the Constitution, you're going to be quick to look the other way

It is strange. These folks pick up on a law written more than 200 years ago, written for the life of 200 years ago and then try to apply it in todays world.

Eventually, something will be done, not sure what that might be, taxation does come to mind.

But the point is being reached.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Hollywood has blood on its hands. A culture of violence.
Hollywood movies are seen all over the world in many many countries.

Wonder why only Americans are susceptible to being so influenced by it.

A culture of violence? Yes--caused by our out of control use of guns.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hollywood movies are seen all over the world in many many countries.

Wonder why only Americans are susceptible to being so influenced by it.

A culture of violence? Yes--caused by our out of control use of guns.
Not one person has ever been able to explain to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies