Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 01:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Huntsville, Alabama....the largest % of Engineers per capita in the United States....

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#29f5966a39cc

Top 2 cities in the United states for engineers are in the south....
Because the population of Huntsville Alabama is less than 200K.

Let's look at #2, Warner Robins, GA - population 74K

#3 Palm Bay, FL 110K

See a pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:34 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Funny, I live in a rural area in the south, and I have never, ever met anyone like this. Most just like to have the country lifestyle. Wrap around porches, peace and quiet, horseback riding, having big dogs and acres of land that is all yours. So I just think you are full of crap.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I will say the fact we had a choice between Trump and Clinton last November does make ya wonder if democracy is badly flawed. Of course every other method is worse.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because the population of Huntsville Alabama is less than 200K.

Let's look at #2, Warner Robins, GA - population 74K

#3 Palm Bay, FL 110K

See a pattern?

It's per 1000 employees.....to be a smart person, you're not showing it....

Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Cesspools....

As an urbanite, I see small towns as the real cesspools

Did I say ALL urban areas? No? I said CA cesspools. But if that offends you as a Phoenix AZ type I can't help that. Course there ain't hardly anywhere rural or urban anymore untouched by the turds in the tank. Not even the wildlands that butt up twixt my spread and the rez.

Seems like a guy can't ride out anywhere without coming across discarded LP tanks, cold pill boxes and huge piles of matchbooks and boxes. So bad anymore that I feel I need to be armed more on the millions of acres of BLM that's my front yard than I do in the flippin' city. Least in the city there may be witnesses about that might stay some vermins trigger finger.

A dry wash 60 miles from nowhere has no such constraints and horse and rider can mysteriously disappear with nobody the wiser. At any rate, seems we each are inclined to stay in our respective cesspools, so no harm no foul.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Theoretically parliaments would have members from equal numbers of citizens. That is how the Canadians start out and then they mess around with it to provide slightly out of balance representation to certain provinces and territories. It is however much more balanced than the US EC.

Nothing particularly "fair" about the EC. It was originally conceived as a brain trust to actually determine the President and was later redefined as a weighed voting system providing unreasonable power to low population states for no good reason.
Canada? Nope? Go ask anyone in Canada about Rural Ridings. In any case, it's irrelevant. Then there was that whole matter a couple of decades ago about Quebec leaving Canada.

The EC is very fair. States are granted at least 3 EC votes then beyond that is based on a simple population calculation and adjusted every 10 years. Furthermore how those votes are apportioned in each state is up to the state's voters. It's one of the most fair systems on the planet.

Now whether people choose to vote for not to determine how those votes are represented, is another matter.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
The point of course is that they are small burgs mostly with limited numbers of engineers.

Number 5 likely blows the top 4 away if you look at the total numbers. And if you went to smaller communities you can probably find even larger numbers. I suspect that some of the Rochester NY suburbs easily got bigger per 1000 than Huntsville. But small populations.

Last edited by lvmensch; 11-29-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
All it means is Northrop Grumman has a group in small town Alabama. They can pay them less there. They aren't even headquartered there because it's...Huntsville Alabama. But by all means, wait for that big population explosion in Huntsville Alabama where Northrop Grumman employs a whopping 1255 workers, most of which are hiring former local military. It's almost sad how wannabe rural America is.

Northrop Grumman, which is among the area's largest employers with roughly 1,255 workers in Huntsville/Madison County, hosts veteran-friendly job fairs, enlists retiring senior officers and hires soldiers to serve as field system representatives.

Northrop Grumman expanding tech workforce in Huntsville | AL.com

Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Huntsville, Alabama....the largest % of Engineers per capita in the United States....

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#29f5966a39cc

Top 2 cities in the United states for engineers are in the south....
Why do conservatives hold engineers in such high regard? In fact, it seems to be the only profession conservatives hold in high regard aside from law enforcement and military.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Canada? Nope? Go ask anyone in Canada about Rural Ridings. In any case, it's irrelevant. Then there was that whole matter a couple of decades ago about Quebec leaving Canada.

The EC is very fair. States are granted at least 3 EC votes then beyond that is based on a simple population calculation and adjusted every 10 years. Furthermore how those votes are apportioned in each state is up to the state's voters. It's one of the most fair systems on the planet.

Now whether people choose to vote for not to determine how those votes are represented, is another matter.
Nonsense. Canada starts with a clean definition each census period. Divides the total population by the base number of members. It then adds certain Constitutional additions that unbalance things a bit. Favors the lower population provinces over Ontario, Quebec and BC.

Why would a state get 3 EC votes? There is something about Wyoming that makes its population more worthy than that of CA? I might argue that Wyoming gets a vote so no one is entirely left out...but past that simply population is the fair way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies