Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Remember that the people we're dealing with place more credence in bronze age stories about an all-powerful entity that cannot be proven to exist than they do actual, verifiable scientific data. Sanity went out the window along time ago, sadly.
And these people are in complete control of our country from top to bottom. Nobody else has a say anymore. The U.S. is becoming a modern Christian version of the Middle East before our eyes. Remember that Persia was once a very advanced, enlightened society (for its day) that fell into the trap of Islamic fundamentalism and theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:08 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
There are far too many ignorant Americans denying science.
It’s insane to me how they think they are smarter than scientist that dedicate their whole life to studying the planet.

Meanwhile bob and billy with a 10th grade education working in a factory denies climate change due to what they know and believe.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:08 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So what? The climate always changes.
And such changes have been a leading cause of everything from mass extinction events throughout Earth's history, to wars, famine, pestilence, and death throughout recorded human history. It takes VERY little climate change to screw up civilization.

So, tell me with a straight face why we shouldn't care about a scientifically and verifiable problem like climate change, while we should waste our time on stupid right-wing concerns, like preventing gays from marrying or stamping out the "wrong" religion?

Unreal.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
It’s insane to me how they think they are smarter than scientist that dedicate their whole life to studying the planet.

Meanwhile bob and billy with a 10th grade education working in a factory denies climate change due to what they know and believe.
This video sums up what most conservatives believe about climate change. These are the people currently in complete, total control over our government. Scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKBC4O5aNR0

Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
And these people are in complete control of our country from top to bottom. Nobody else has a say anymore. The U.S. is becoming a modern Christian version of the Middle East before our eyes. Remember that Persia was once a very advanced, enlightened society (for its day) that fell into the trap of Islamic fundamentalism and theocracy.
Yep. When I was young and read about the troubles in the Middle East, I sometimes wondered what life would be like for a sane Muslim - one who didn't buy into the bigotry, hatred of science, and violent craziness that had hijacked his religion. Now, thanks to the far-right in this nation, I no longer have to wonder, for what was once my religion is heading rapidly down the same path to oblivion.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post

I know these types in person - terrifying, really. Had an argument with one right-wing "legacy friend" yesterday about flu shots. He is convinced that flu shots "give you the flu" and "turn people into flu carriers." His excuse is, "there never were flu outbreaks before people got flu shots." He's completely wrong, of course. I reminded him about the flu pandemics of the past that killed thousands. He says "those don't count." Oh, so facts that are inconvenient just "don't count." Sure... I explained to him how vaccines work and how there is no live flu virus, so you literally cannot catch the flu from a flu shot. His reply was, "Well, that's your opinion."

No, you stupid sack of ignorance... those are FACTS! You don't get to pick your own! And if you don't know something, LEARN about it! Don't just make some nonsense up and pretend that's just as valid as actual scientific reality!

Old 12-17-2017, 03:41 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This video sums up what most conservatives believe about climate change. These are the people currently in complete, total control over our government. Scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKBC4O5aNR0
Rather than listen to heretic nutcases like that we should be taking the advice of real Christians.

"We lovingly suggest to all the people of the earth, that they seek to help one another to understand the myriad ways in which we are related to the earth, and to one another. In this way, we may begin to repair the dislocation many people experience in relation to creation.

We are of the deeply held belief, that many human beings have come to behave as materialistic tyrants. Those that tyrannize the earth are themselves, sadly, tyrannized. We have been called by God, to “be fruitful, increase and have dominion in the earth” (Gen 1:28). Dominion is a type of the Kingdom of Heaven. Thus it is that St. Basil describes the creation of man in paradise on the 6th day, as being the arrival of a king in his palace. Dominion is not domination, it is an eschatological sign of the perfect Kingdom of God, where corruption and death are no more.

If human beings treated one another's personal property the way they treat their environment, we would view that behavior as anti-social. We would impose the judicial measures necessary to restore wrongly appropriated personal possessions. It is therefore appropriate, for us to seek ethical, legal recourse where possible, in matters of ecological crimes."

"We have traditionally regarded sin as being merely what people do to other people. Yet, for human beings to destroy the biological diversity in God’s creation; for human beings to degrade the integrity of the earth by contributing to climate change, by stripping the earth of its natural forests or destroying its wetlands; for human beings to contaminate the earth’s waters, land and air – all of these are sins."

Patriarch Batholomew
ENVIRONMENTAL SYMPOSIUM 1997

"We are treating our planet in an inhuman, godless manner precisely because we fail to see it as a gift inherited from above. Our original sin with regard to the natural environment lies in our refusal to accept the world as a sacrament of communion, as a way of sharing with God and neighbor on a global scale. It is our humble conviction that divine and human meet in the slightest detail contained in the seamless garment of God’s creation, in the last speck of dust."

Patriarch Batholomew

“We must not be indifferent or resigned to the loss of biodiversity and the destruction of ecosystems, often caused by our irresponsible and selfish behaviour. Because of us, thousands of species will no longer give glory to God by their very existence. We have no such right.”
Pope Francis 2016

"The word “ecology” contains the prefix “eco,” which derives from the Greek word oikos, signifying “home” or “dwelling.” How unfortunate, then, and indeed how selfish it is that we have reduced its meaning and restricted its application. This world is indeed our home. "
Patriarch Batholomew

Old 12-17-2017, 03:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I'm a atmospheric scientist. What are your credentials in this matter?
I drive trains that burn heavy oil. Tie six locomotives together in notch eight on the throttle and I do my best to warm the planet.

Let’s see your CV.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Please stop repeating this and try to understand what man made climate change is about. READ what the scientists are writing. You're reveling in smug ignorance- it's not a proud stance.
No, humans cause nothing. This is what happens during an interglacial period. It warms just lime it did during the medieval warming period.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
All you have to do is look at the CO2 charts since the industrial age. Its not hubris- it's there in black and white.
You can read this or continue to remain in denial:

United Nations News Centre - Carbon dioxide levels surge to new high in 2016, UN weather agency reports
And yet the earth hasn’t significantly warmed. All the dire predictions from al-Gore to the scientists have not happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies