Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, I keep on forgetting that West Africa IS Islamic ( not only Eastern part of Africa.)
All right then, so... were the slaves taken from an Islamic country(ies)?
But in this case it was the RELIGION ( yet again) that was supporting the institution of marriage for Africans. In the same manner sort of, as Christianity was supporting the institution of marriage for Europeans.
(Just my guess.)
West Africa is a mix religiously. However, traditional cultures have marriage customs and traditions, not just Islamic ones.

Some slaves came from Islamic groups but not the majority. Back then some Yoruba were Muslim while others were not. Groups like the Igbo and the Akan were not. The Mandinka and Hausa were Muslim. But Muslims come from various cultures with their own traditions as well.

See other post for examples.

As far as weddings, I feel like Nigerians and Indians tie for the most beautiful ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:37 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually it is true. Notice no one is ever called an Asian supremeist when pointing this fact out.
No, it's not true, because it defies common sense.
One should only look where the money are concentrated, who comes up first in the modern world with the most advanced laws and technology to figure out that this whole "IQ" theory is faulty.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If there really is no solution, why bother talking about the subject?
Ahh... But see, I didn't just say that "there is no solution," but I explained exactly WHY.
The analysis of the situation should clear a thing or two.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
West Africa is a mix religiously. However, traditional cultures have marriage customs and traditions, not just Islamic ones.

Some slaves came from Islamic groups but not the majority. Back then some Yoruba were Muslim while others were not. Groups like the Igbo and the Akan were not. The Mandinka and Hausa were Muslim. But Muslims come from various cultures with their own traditions as well.

See other post for examples.

As far as weddings, I feel like Nigerians and Indians tie for the most beautiful ones.
The *wedding traditions* is not a decisive factor here. Not at all.
Look at the "beautiful wedding traditions" in Christian marriages, heck look at the lavish ROYAL wedding ( (Charles and Diana) and?
No, it's not the "wedding tradition" per se that keep the families together, but rather other factors - the mores of the society/religion and the underlying economic reasons.
So that was my question - what were the *institutions* that kept Black families ( man and woman) together back in Africa, BEFORE these institutions were taken away from them.
You don't seem to be able to pinpoint them.
Were they REALLY there to begin with? If yes, then what were they EXACTLY?

Old 01-01-2018, 07:53 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
The *wedding traditions* is not a decisive factor here. Not at all.
Look at the "beautiful wedding traditions" in Christian marriages, heck look at the lavish ROYAL wedding ( (Charles and Diana) and?
No, it's not the "wedding tradition" per se that keep the families together, but rather other factors - the mores of the society/religion and the underlying economic reasons.
So that was my question - what were the *institutions* that kept Black families ( man and woman) together back in Africa, BEFORE these institutions were taken away from them.
You don't seem to be able to pinpoint them.
Were they REALLY there to begin with? If yes, then what were they EXACTLY?
Guess you’re not really familiar with deep traditions in various cultures. Traditional cultures themselves are the institutions. As stated, marriage simply was and is part of these cultures. Weddings are ceremonies parents often begin saving for from the time children are young and other family members contribute. So yes, wedding tradition plays a part because it is so contemplated from early on. It emphasizes the meaningfulness of the marriage. It’s seen as not just a joining of two people but two families. That keeps couples together. Regarding the matter at hand, to this day in places like Nigeria, out of wedlock births are uncommon and carry a stigma. Statistics from 2010, put out of wedlock births at 6 percent. Not sure about now but it’s likely not much higher.

There was no such thing as Black families in Africa. There were Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Akan, Kromanti, Ashanti, Mandinka families etc. If you are truly interested, study those cultures.

Here a little something on marriage in Igbo culture: http://nigeriamasterweb.com/igbomarriage.html

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 01-01-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Hate to break it to all of the other white people on here, but more and more WHITE couples are not going down to the courthouse either, before they have kids. There is a trend among all races to not tie the knot legally anymore.

I'm not condoning it, or justifying it, just laying out the facts.
True. But your interpretation of those facts does not look close enough into the details. But the key word here is COUPLES.

From personal experience observing my diverse set of co-workers over several decades... unmarried black women with children are raising their children without much help from their black baby daddies (who also are not living with their baby mommas AND also having other girlfriends)... but with unmarried Hispanic and white mothers, the menfolk are living with their baby daddies and raising the children TOGETHER as a couple, despite not having exchanged marriage vows.

And there is one white female manager that had a baby with a black professional athlete, they are unmarried but they do at least live with each other. So with mixed unmarried couples where one member is black, there is more of a chance of that unmarried couple co-parenting their children.... that non-black partner bringing more traditional parenting values than the black one.

So couples with children that don't marry, don't all have the same parenting attitudes and lifestyles.

And btw, it turns my stomach reading about the latest celebrity gossip about the Khardasian/Jenner women and them being so proud of their out of wedlock baby bumps.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Guess you’re not really familiar with deep traditions in various cultures. Traditional cultures themselves are the institutions. As stated, marriage simply was and is part of these cultures. Weddings are ceremonies parents often begin saving for from the time children are young and other family members contribute. So yes, wedding tradition plays a part because it is so contemplated from early on. It emphasizes the meaningfulness of the marriage. It’s seen as not just a joining of two people but two families. That keeps couples together. Regarding the matter at hand, to this day in places like Nigeria, out of wedlock births are uncommon and carry a stigma. Statistics from 2010, put out of wedlock births at 6 percent. Not sure about now but it’s likely not much higher.
No, I am familiar, but not with African traditions in this respect.
That's why I asked first ( instead of going straight to google.)

Quote:
There was no such thing as Black families in Africa. There were Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Akan, Kromanti, Ashanti, Mandinka families etc.
That's understood.

Quote:
If you are truly interested, study those cultures.

Here a little something on marriage in Igbo culture: Igbo Marriage Custom
The link has been helpful, thank you, and from what I am reading here -

"Inu nwunye (marriage) states Dr. Basden, "has a foremost place in Igbo social economy. It looms upon the horizon of every maid and youth as an indispensable function to be fulfilled with as little delay as possible after reaching the age of puberty". Since the Igbo are a patriarchal people, marriage is deemed an indispensable factor for the continuation of the family line of descent Children occupy the central point in Igbo marriage. The first and foremost consideration is the fertility of the couple. Parents long for this and the father of the family requests this every morning in his kolanut prayer. The mother begs for it while giving cult to her chi during annual festival. In other words, if you ask the ordinary Igbo man or woman why he desires to marry, the spontaneous answer will be: "I want to marry in order to beget my own children, to get a family like my parents"."

Igbo Marriage Custom

it looks to me that it's all about the patriarchal society with pre-arranged marriages.
If that's what glues families together back there, and it's the ONLY way to keep the family institution functional, then obviously in the US Black families wouldn't survive at all.
However the practice tells us a different story.
After the old marriage institutions were destroyed during slavery, they were replaced with time by Christian marriages in a society that was patriarchal as well. And judging by the statistics, this worked ( comparably to what it is now,) until these institutions were damaged/destroyed as well ( and NOT by African -Americans as I've already said, so I don't blame them for this failure. This problem only exacerbated within the Black community, but it originated elsewhere; namely - in White America. African Americans only followed the suit, as much as they followed initially the Christian marriage institutions in the US. )

Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
No, it's not true, because it defies common sense.
One should only look where the money are concentrated, who comes up first in the modern world with the most advanced laws and technology to figure out that this whole "IQ" theory is faulty.
Why is bringing up IQ “faulty” when someone talks about groups having higher numbers than whites?

But when it appertains to blacks, IQ is an indisputable Science!! SMH

Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Note out of wedlock /= father absent.

My boss has a 10 year relationship and a daughter with the same woman and they live together but not married. He's an awesome daddy. Technically she is an unwed mother.

What is the absent father rate for each race?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why is bringing up IQ “faulty” when someone talks about groups having higher numbers than whites?

But when it appertains to blacks, IQ is an indisputable Science!! SMH
I never talked about IQ as "indisputable science."
And the fact that the latest "IQ appraisal" goes against the common sense, only confirms my suspicions. ( As I've already said, how can IQ measure the person's ability to appreciate the classical music for example or art in general? Yet it requires certain level of intelligence as well.)
No, as I've said before, IQ simply seems to favor a specific psychological type, but this type has its own shortcomings comparably to other psychological types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies